1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jagdgeschwader's REAL WWII World Map [1.0][362x316] 2017-11-15

New editing technique and INCREDIBLY Realistic WWII World Map

Tags:
  1. jagdgeschwader
    First off, I used the map from from WWII Hinge of Fate scenario as a starting template, so the creator of that map deserves some credit. However, I have drastically modified it to be incredibly visually accurate in terms of geographical terrain pictures, and to do this I developed a new editing technique.

Through a slow, pain-staking process, I individually identified pertinent tile squares and made changes to the LM terrain files to accurately depict the terrain spread of a real world map. Because this has been an ongoing project, when I originally started I didn't necessarily do so in the most organized way, and although I have gotten much better from this standpoint it is still not perfect and they may be a few unnecessarily modified tiles or a few minor discretions. Nevertheless, it's pretty darn good (as you can see from the pictures) and even though this is an ongoing project that is still far from complete, I wanted to go ahead and provide the map to anyone who wants to use it. Note: because I had to edit files, if you want the map in all its glory you will have to load the edited terrain files into the scenario's folder.

Also, this is a WWII oriented map, so it is a little bit Euro-centric. I have made changes to every continent, but the most substantial and detailed are to Europe.

The most heavily modified areas:

Denmark: notice the tile work with lakes in the tundra
    Holland: the tiny island change where Amsterdam is
    France: Normandy/Pas-de-Calais area
    Italy: the boot is 10/10 and the Adriatic Sea around Trieste is spot on
    Black Sea: this is a work of art

(note the black sea is actually slightly better than the initial pictures, the coast square in the Sea of Azov needs to be made a LM square which changes the desert coast (this is the editing technique I was referring to). To do this, place a LM **sea** square there, and then replace the other tiles and it will convert it LM cost) - I attached another pic to make this clear

Images

1. Europe2.png
    2. Europe3.png
    3. Europe1.png
    4. South Pacific.png
    5. Japan.png
    6. Great Lakes.png
    7. Black-Caspian.png
    8. Euro-details.png
    9. Italy-detailed.png
    10. Black-Sea-edit.png