~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ UPDATE STATUS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
v3.0 Updated on the 7/09/2018. See the changes in the change notes button to get further infos. Warrior Monks are not involved in this mod anymore and has moved to one of my other mods : Radiant Better Unit Promotions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ INTRODUCTION ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Inspired by the Warrior monk already existing unique promotion tree, the new samurai promotion tree will lead you on an experience thirst road so your favourite japanese unit become able to deploy its full power and become a blade master. But to keep game balance and keep difficulty fun, Samurai unit cost and maintenance have been drasticly increased around what whould be 2 of vanilla of them.
So, samurais might cost you so much, and it will remain difficut in some cases to have an army of them, a bit like it was back in japan feudal time. But at some point, if you trained them well, they might even be able to defeat more or may be far more advanced units.
This mod adds a heavy inconvenience to balance samurai new power. It now can't be upgraded from or into any other unit in the game. Because i had to nerf it a little, and because i also want player to tear his samurai losses, and feel like the samurai doesn't want to evolve, like japan actually did in our real history (samurai were around past to rifle & gatling gun tech). The third reason is that their unique promotion tree will glitch up with their upgraded/upgrading units resulting messy OverPowered bi-active-promotion tree that can harm your save. I think that's the wise decision for game balance (since their awesome skills might keep them in the race of endgame fights, a bit weak but still fun to see them kick modern's unit a** if you play clever !)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MOD CONTENT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's see what this mod do in detail :
---- Samurai changes ----
- Unit Raw combat strengh stay at 50.
- Unit Cost risen to 250 production (instead 160).
- Unit Maintenance risen to 5 (instead of 3)
- Gain a free promotion when built.
- Can't be upgraded from or into any unit in the game.
- Associated to an unique and powerful Samurai promotion tree.
1a : "Radiant Honor" = 40% of killed unit's strengh turned into a culture bonus. (because samurai culture is huge, even still today in 2018 and all over the world. Victims, villagers or allies, talk about them, fear them)
1b : "Sun Blow" = 2x flanking bonus.
2a : "Akuma Armors" = +7 strengh in all situations. An additional +5 when defending.
2b : "Wind Slicer" = +2 movement bonus.
3a : "Meikyo Shisui" = heal each end of turn even if moved or attacked.
3b : "Masamune Blades" = +3 strengh in all situations. An additional +15 when attacking.
Final : "Niten Ichi Ryu" = +2 additional attacks. (Now a real blade master ! but keep an eye on ur HP before attacking for the third time !)
- The promotion tree in-game pop-up icons has been handmade digital painted and set accordingly !
- The ugly samurai unit icon (in my humble opinion) has been replaced by a more cool one !
- This icon has been replaced everywhere in every size (Civiliopedia included) !
- The really ugly samurai portrait (in my humble opion) has been replaced by a way better one !
- Civilopedia texts about these unique promotions (if you want a reading time !)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MOD COMPATIBILITY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This mod only work when a whole new game is created while activated and can't work on already existing saves. Sorry it couldn't be avoidable.
This mod is meant to be compatible with most of the existing mods (has been tested with 150+ of my mods). Though if you have a problem, you can notice me if you need help to fix it manually.
- Compatible with "Steel and thunder : Unit Expansion" : Samurai won't replace LongSwordMan and will be a whole separate and independant unit.
- Compatible with "Improved Japan" : Samurai won't be upgraded from Swordman and will be a whole separate and independant unit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MOD FUTURE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Perfect balance for this favourite unit of ours finally reached. (tested on prince to divinity difficulties)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THANKS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Araminet, a friend who taught me / make me remember how to code, helped me with some mistakes.
ShiroToraRyu, on civfanatics forums who enlighted me on some points.
LeeS on civfanatics, forums which helped me big time on one big mistake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ RADIANT MODS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can find all my mods by searching the "radiant" in steam workshop, nexus, or civfanatics, which is a recurrent word in all my mod's tittles.
Radiant Samurais 3.0
This mod buffs and adds a funnier gameplay to samurai by giving it a new promotion tree