New version 0.6 as of 14.01 - Major update with many tweaks, new functionalities and MP support.
A quick overview only. Go to the discussion thread for more details.
Different approach to make AI better, a mixture of Lua "thinking" and tuning of AiLists.
Before you start
- Real Strategy (RST) works with vanilla, Rise and Fall and all DLCs, in any configuration.
- This mod does NOT affect save files. You can enable / disable it whenever you want.
- It is NOT compatible with AI+. RST enhances existing AI params (AiLists) while AI+ removes many them and creates a bunch of its own. You will most likely get DB errors with both mods enabled.
- If you want to play Multi Player - see the note below.
Overview of the key features
- AI uses more sophisticated approach to decide what victory to pursue. This is the core part of the mod programmed in Lua. It evaluates the current situation, and assess what other are doing. Basically these are concepts and ideas used in Civ5 re-programmed to be used in Civ6.
- Each Victory Strategy is revised and enhanced accordingly.
- Each Leader, Policy, Wonders, and few other things have flavors assigned to indicate what type of game we are playing.
- The leaders' behavior (AiLists) have been enhanced. Not changed - (practically) all original entries are there. Errors are fixed and many more are added to help leaders pursue their goals.
- Few supporting strategies have been implemented, mostly to help manage military and wars. Very simple ones, this area will be improved in the future. Basically Peace/War behavior, Catching up behavior when we start lagging in military (weak civs are always first to be killed), Science or Culture and an emergency Defense when a strong civ attacks us.
- Time strategies - revised and updated.
- Simple tweaks to Tactics systems. No fiddling with behavior trees (yet). Mostly to make AI better at sieges (they use Rams, etc.). Also they should use planes, but this I still need to test.
- A bit revised Settling params. AI chooses better spots (a bit, the system is too simple to achieve any grand results).
- Last, but not least. No cheating policy is in effect. The "thinking" part uses only information that is also available to the human player, e.g. it doesn't know anything about another civ until it's met. This mod doesn't give AI anything for free (no units, no boosts, yields, etc.)
This is a fully playable version, however due to complexity of the topic, I consider it a testing version. Basically, tuning the parameters to achieve the required results. I post it to receive comments and feedback, the more the better. If you want to help - in the discussion (CivFanatics) I posted a simple tool for that (FireTuner panel).
Important. Please try to also post Lua.log - it contains crucial information needed for analysis and tuning.
Multi Player note
I have added support for MP. I cannot test it, so I wait for info from people playing MP.
The most problematic function - random numbers - has been changed into a function from the game engine that sould work in MP. There are 3 options (RST_Params.sql) that you choose to use / test:
- 0 - random numbers are not used at all.
- 1 - for Single Player, uses math.random.
- 2 - for Multi Player, uses Game.GetRandNum.
Also, rewritten 2 places where pairs() were used so now ipairs() are used. Theoretically the script should be MP-compatible, but without tests I cannot guarantee that.
This mod can be used on iOS (iPhone/iPad). However, the game on iOS is a bit behind. As for now there is an issue with a BH TreeNode that hasn't yet been implemented on iOS. So, in order to use the mod, once you transfer the files, you then need to remove RealStrategy_Trees.xml. This file has just 2 minor fixes to BH trees and the mod works without it with no problems.
Differences from AI+
Since this is going to be an inevitable question:
- AI+ adds a lot of strategies on top of existing ones. RST enhances existing programming. You can turn it on / off even for games in-progress (doesn't affect the save files).
- Victory conditons. AI+ uses existing conditions, no improvement here. RST uses a more sophisticated approach here (see here[forums.civfanatics.com] for details).
- Leaders. AI+ uses Traits as a way to give various civs more unique behavior. RST tunes each civ and leader separately to its preferred victories.
- Tactics. AI+ introduces its own behavior tress and overhauls this part. RST just tweaks few things here. However, I see the need to use more advanced (or better) behavior trees. This is for the future development.
- Difficulties. AI+ employs a bit different strategies on higher diffs, with focus on Deity. Mostly more aggressive and more military focus strategies. RST - no changes here. Imo, the Civ philosophy has been always that difficulties come from giving AI more bonuses. And I am ok with that. AI should be "smart" no matter what difficulty we are playing.
Personally, I consider AI+ to be a really good mod. I used it a source of (good) ideas and "tested" mechanics. Whatever gems are hidden there (and there are), I will most likely try to implement them in RST.
- Delnar - FastPillage operation and BH tree from his mod "AI CleanUp". I am not sure if it is working, but I like the idea
Real Strategy 0.6
Making AI better. One bit at a time. Test version.