Resource icon

Road to War - Historical Version 1.07

**** UPDATED Scenario 1.07 ****

System Requirements
1: Civilization IV
2: Beyond the Sword Expansion
3: Patch 3.19
4: Due to the increased graphics and the number of units, a good fast processor and high-end graphics card is required.
5: Windows 7 64 is recommended as is 6 GB of RAM or more.

(It was developed on a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Core i7 920 , 6 GB of RAM with HD 4870 512 Graphics Card)

NOTE: Not compatible with the Road to War 1.1 UE, but is installed in it's own folder.

Introduction

After highlighting my concerns with Dales Mod here and here I decided I would try to improve it. Dales Mod is designed for Playability where any nation can try to win. My mod is aimed more at realism. i.e. Germany having better Techs and Training than most, Russia having many more men, USA having much more production and England having the wonderful "Battle of Britain" pilots.

* Enhanced the planes and ships, by providing more unique units.
* Additional unit class refinements, thereby providing more control to the amount of the units each nation can build
* More wonders to the game and place them in their respective capitals.
* Single install file

1936 - Road to War - Europe (revised)
I have been working on Dales' 1936 - RTW - European Scenario for nearly two years. Starting in Version 1.01, I have been refining it ever since. I initially looked at the unit graphics in version 1.01, but that was not where I was looking for my enthusiasm. I wanted there to be some realism in the mod. So starting in version 1.02, I changed my focus to Divisions, Corps and Armies. This was the best thing I did and will continue with later releases. Version 1.03 was a complete re-write for patch 3.19 and also no longer requiring Ultimate Edition 1.1.

This scenario goes for 20 years (480 turns) - 1956

Units.
The 1936 Scenario includes all units the existed in September 1939 for most nations, except Russia which has all units that exists in June1941. Nations can build some units already, based on their initial tech level, e.g. England can build some type ships and fighters, Germany can build Panzer Divisions and Corps and Russia can already build new Armies.

I have now created unit stats for all significant formations for the major powers involved in WWII , i.e. Germany, Russia, France, England, Italy, USA, China, Japan.

The combat values and bonuses are based on the actual formation make-up, i.e. number of tanks, infantry, artillery and anti-tank strengths and combined into various values and bonuses. The amount of units a nation can build is now also limited to approximately historical limits. I have therefore limited the amount of artillery available as most were inherent in these higher level units. (see civilopedia for details)

Each unique unit now has a unit name, so while you are playing you can follow your favourite division, corps or army or even army group. Some Units also have a Generals name in brackets next to the unit. This will help if you want to add a General to lead the unit directly.

I have included new graphics for major nation units and included the models for the "King Tiger", "Centurion", "JS-II", "T-34/76" and restored the "Panther" to the game.

Most significant Generals have been included for both major and minor nations. If the General had achieved sufficient rank or fame, he has been included. All of them have been placed on the map and lead their relevant unit (i.e. the one they led for the longest or next significant), within the borders of the relevant countries. Leaders have also been added as Prophets and can also be used to settle in the game. They don't play a major part, but added them for more favour.

Initial Battleships, Carriers and Cruisers now have unique names. They also have unique promotions, based on their speed, range, and armament. This has been further enhanced in version 1.0.4. I have also changed the combat values of the fighters and bombers.

Cities
A significant amount of work has gone into adding more cities and also making sure the city size is appropriate. The initial "culture" for each city is now based on how many 1,000's of citizens were living there in or around 1940 (depending on what data was available). I have also added "Rebel" towns and cities, especially in the Middle East, which will keep the British, Italians and French occupied for a while. I have also added more cities closer together. e.g. Holland and the Ruhr Area

I have now also added wonders to the map and appropriate bonuses given. Most are located in the appropriate cities, but there are also some held by rebels, etc. So it is worth exploring to get these cities as well. These wonders also give bonus buildings. (see civilopedia for details). Many additional wonders have been added, which act mostly as tourist attractions. However, some modern buildings have been added which give additional bonuses. e.g. Westpoint, Sandhurst, KGB, OSS, Bletchley Park, etc.

Each city now has a number of initial buildings equal to it's city size minus one. i.e. a city size of 3 has 2 initial buildings. Construction of buildings must now follow a set order, which will ensure that the city has the appropriate infrastructure support for it's size. Each Buildings gives differing bonuses for experience, science, culture, food and money (see civilopedia for details).

* Military Building will have increased -negative health

Map
As noted above, new cities have been added. There have also been changes made to the map as well. e.g. Bremen is now a coastal city. A number of rivers have been added and a lot or railroads and roads have been removed, most significantly from the Russian Front. More resources have been added as well. This Map is based on over 6 weeks of solid research into the actual locations of starting units. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13027

New for this version
* Convoy routes across the Atlantic
* New minor nations to replace some of the barbarians in the middle-east
* Switzerland
* Arabia
* Persia
* Portugal
* Govt-in-Exiles

Special Thanks to Dale and other members of the Civfanatics Forum for making a wonderful mod that allowed me to make just minor tweaks to change it to how I wanted it. All comments welcome and will consider updating the files accordingly.

BTW: I enjoy playing as well. So I may take a break from development from time to time.

Installation Notes
Simply extract the contents from the file into \Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder and then select scenario.

The way I start it is to simply click on the "C:\GAMES\CIV4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War - Historical\PublicMaps\1936 - Europe (Historical - 1.07).CivBeyondSwordWBSave" file.

It will then automatically load the mod.

NOTE: Where I have installed CIV4 on my Windows 7 PC. see below thread for details
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537

NOTE: Select Historical Play only as this is a "Realism" mod :)
But you could try your luck in "Open-Play" as all starting units are based on 1939-1941 starting units. ;)

DISCLAIMER: THIS MINI-MOD IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH FIRAXIS GAMES OR 2K GAMES IN ANY WAY. USE OF THIS MINI-MOD IS AT THE USER'S DISCRETION AND FIRAXIS GAMES, 2K GAMES AND THE MAKERS OF THIS MINI-MOD ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES. BY DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THIS MINI-MOD THE USER ACCEPTS THESE TERMS AND ACCEPTS THAT USE OF THE MINI-MOD IS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

see full thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337742

WARNING: This game is not for the feint-hearted. It is significantly complex and requires a large amount of time to play out in full. It has been written for wargamers who wish to play WWII as accurately as possible within the Civ 4 Framework.

Actual Screenshots from the Scenario below :scan:
  • civ4screenshot0018_DV4.jpg
    civ4screenshot0018_DV4.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 2,080
  • civ4screenshot0020_n4E.jpg
    civ4screenshot0020_n4E.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 4,019
  • civ4screenshot0025_3VN.jpg
    civ4screenshot0025_3VN.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 3,069
Author
kiwitt
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 7 ratings

More resources from kiwitt

Latest updates

1. Road to War - Historical - 1.07

Made minor changes to my previous update. Operation Overlord - Normandy Landings 4 US Bases, 1...
  2. Version 1.06 Update

After a 2 year break from coding, I discovered some serious problems with 1.05 and have now...
  3. Road to War - Historical - 1.05

I have updated the mod and scenario to version 1.05. You will also find some pre-played...
Top Bottom