Saph's Orbis Terrarum Redux (TSL)
A bigger, more detailed, more feature-rich, complete remake of Saph's first ever Civ map!
- The Old World as the Romans knew it:
This map is based on a reconstruction of the Orbis Terrarum ("the circle of the world") completed by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa (Augustus Caesar's son-in-law), and may represent how the ancient Romans saw the world. In the tradition of T&O maps, the three continents of the known world are in similar proportions. The egocentric emphasis upon Rome is reflected in the expanded form of Italy, and the fact that most of the area of the map is devoted to the Roman Empire while other regions such as India, Seres, Scythia and Sarmatia are reduced to small outlying regions on the periphery.
The full map is Huge, but if you are less ambitious, 6 sections of the map are available as smaller maps.
- True Starting Locations:
38 official civs (42 leaders), 34 city states & 17 natural wonders (plus 5 Terra Mirabilis wonders) are placed at their real world locations (as real as it can be on this distorted geography).
- Support for custom civs & city states:
TSLs are included for 112 custom civs/leaders & 175 custom city states. Their locations are marked on this Google map.
- Optional World Wrap
What if the Americas didn't exist? Well, you can sail west from Europe to reach Asia.
- Toggleable navigable rivers:
The Bosphorus Strait and each of the rivers Rhine, Danube, Dnipro, Don, Volga, Nile, Euphrates, Tigris & Ganges can be individually turned from normal rivers to coastal tiles during set-up, allowing naval units to traverse deep into land while creating obstacles for land units.
- Choke points:
In addition to the presence of navigable rivers, choke points are also created by careful placement of mountain tiles on land, & island tiles at sea. Plan your tactical maneuvers carefully!
- Map generated floodplains:
This YnAMP-based map has map-generated river floodplains, so dam construction and flooding events are possible.
Map size: Full map is 76 x 92 (Enormous). 6 sections of the map are available as smaller maps.
Required Mod: Gedemon's Yet (not) Another Maps Pack
- Religion Expanded: This adds enough beliefs to vanilla's 20 so that you won't get locked if you are playing with more than 20 civs but haven't chosen a belief.
- Prismatic - Color and Jersey Overhaul: This adds enough jersey colors so that you can play with more than 20 civs in one game. Otherwise some civs will get transparent colors.
Official civs with TSL
- Arabia (starts at Cairo, or Medina if Egypt is present)
- China (Qin OR Kublai Khan)
- England (Victoria AND Eleanor)
- France (Catherine AND Eleanor)
- Germany (starts at Aachen, or Berlin if Gaul is present)
- Greece (Gorgo AND Pericles)
- India (Gandhi AND Chandragupta)
- Japan OR Korea
- Khmer OR Vietnam
- Mongolia (Genghis AND Kublai Khan)
- Ottoman (starts at Constantinople, or Bursa if Byzantium is present)
- Phoenicia (starts at Tyre. Optional start at Carthage)
Official city states with TSL
Akkad, Anshan (X Persia), Armagh, Ayutthaya (X Khmer/Vietnam), Bandar Brunei (Indonesia), Bologna, Brussels (X Gaul), Cardiff (X Victoria), Chinguetti, Fez, Geneva, Granada, Hattusa, Hong Kong (X China/Vietnam), Jerusalem, Kabul, Kandy, Kumasi, Lahore (X Gandhi), Mohenjo Daro, Mogadishu, Muscat, Ngazargamu, Nalanda (Chandragupta), Preslav, Samarkand, Taruga, Valletta, Vatican City (X Rome), Venice, Vilnius, Wolin, Yerevan, Zanzibar
Note: City states with (X civ/leader) will not spawn if the civ/leader specified is present
Custom Civs & City States
112 custom civs & 175 custom city states have TSL on this map.
To play with advanced YnAMP settings, you need to
- Have this mod and Yet (not) Another Map Pack installed and enabled ingame
- Single Player --> Create Game --> Load Database (next to the BACK button) and wait for the game to load
- Once loaded, you will be back to the main menu
- Single Player --> Create Game (You should see a tick next to CREATE GAME at the top.) --> Choose Map Type --> Saph's Orbis Terrarum Redux (TSL) --> Advanced Setup
- Turn on Only Civilizations/City States with TSL (or Turn off if you want to play with custom city states)
- Adjust the number of civs, city states & religions in the game to your liking.
- Manually pick the civs to play as/against or leave them random.
- Map Section: Select among the 7 available sections to play.
- Select Natural Wonders: Leave it at Everything / Uncheck the ones that you don't want to appear
- Features Placement: Import for preplaced woods, reefs, fissures etc. / Map Generator for randomised features
- Coastal Lowland: Map Generator for random placement / Matching flatland for more dramatic flooding / Empty for no lowlands
- Rivers Flooding: Map Generator / Empty for no floodplains & flooding (and hence no dams)
- Resource Quantity: Your own preference (Resources are map-generated; this map does not contain pre-placed resources.)
- Civilization Placement: True Starting Locations for accurate historical placement / Map Generator for random placement
- Enforce TSL: AI if you don't want the AI to stray from their TSLs
- Use Leaders TSL when available & Use Alternative TSL if required and available: On
- Allow random placement for civs without TSL: Off (You can turn it on if you want random placement for civs not in the list above)
- Enable World Wrap: Enable to allow the map to wrap horizontally, so that you can sail west from Europe to Asia
- Start Phoenicia at Carthage: Enable to get Dido to start in North Africa, instead of in the Levant
- Desert floodplains along the Nile: Enable to turn the grass/plains tiles along the Niles river valley into desert floodplains (up to Aswan). Please note that these floodplains do not actually flood and thus do not allow you to build dams on (only map-generated floodplains allow the construction of dams), but at least you get to build nice Sphinxes.
- Navigable Rivers: Check the rivers that you want to turn into coastal tiles for naval units.
- Real City Naming: On (This is only for the capitals for several civs which do not start at their actual capitals e.g. Arabia at Mecca)
- No Duplicate Civilizations: Off, if you want to have, both Gorgo & Pericles, Gandhi & Chandragupta etc., at the same time.
This map is made possible by Gedemon's YnAMP & Zobtzler's YnABMC.