Solitaire Sandbox removes AI opponents, city states, barbarians and almost everything else with randomness in the game. The result is a peaceful solitaire game mode focused on economy building. Use it solo to improve the efficiency of your gameplay, or play an initial start you find online and compete against hundreds of other players in a contest purely determined by skill.
See this thread for a practice challenge, and compare your solution with that of other players. Can you reach 200 production per turn faster than 83 turns on that map?
Unzip into the mod folder, i.e. make everything look like this:
\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\[13 files]
Restart Civilization, go to the main menu under Additional Content, disable all other mods and enable Solitaire Sandbox. Create a new game, go to Advanced Setup and choose one of the three Solitaire Sandbox options in the Ruleset dropdown menu. Then configure other options however you want. See screenshot below.
Mod features in detail
I believe that the only remaining sources of randomness after these changes are city tile expansions and which techs/civics get boosted from the remaining Great People. Please correct me if I have overlooked anything else!
- Removes all AI players.
- Disables city states, barbarians and goody huts by default, but there are options to re-enable them.
- Adds a drop-down menu to select how many city states to place on the map (if any).
- Since some types of Great People (Scientists, Engineers and Merchants) have very different effects and power levels, the mod by default limits them so only one specific person of each type can appear per era. Alternatively, the game can be played with all (random) Great People as usual, or with none at all.
- Adds an option to reveal the map on turn 1.
- Removes all standard victory conditions except the science victory (the others make no sense without opponents).
- Adds new per-turn victory conditions (production, science, culture, faith, gold) and a total population victory. With this mod, "victory condition" should be read as "ending condition", but victory cutscenes and menus are shown as usual.
- Adds current empire-wide population and production per turn to the top status bar.
- Adds two new map sizes smaller than Duel ("Solitaire" and "Sandbox"), appropriate for quick solo play.
Fun fact: if you play Arabia, the "last prophet" will spawn on turn 2. Feel free to delete him if you think that is too gross.
Great People that can appear in Solitaire Sandbox (with default settings)
- All Prophets, Generals, Admirals, Artists, Writers and Musicians can appear as usual.
- Scientists: Aryabhata, Omar Khayyam, Emilie du Chatelet, James Young, Alan Turing, Erwin Schrödinger, Abdus Salam.
- Engineers: Isidore of Miletus, Filippo Brunelleschi, Gustave Eiffel, Robert Goddard, John A Roebling, Wernher von Braun.
- Merchants: Marcus Licinius Crassus, Irene of Athens, Raja Todar Mal, John Spilsbury, John Rockefeller, Levi Strauss, Estée Lauder.
The mod is fairly extensive, so expect limited compatibility with other mods. I will begin compiling a list of the compatibility status of other major mods during the next few days, and list the results here.
Recommended mods to go along with Solitaire Sandbox
My other two mods for Civ 6, Research Reminder and More Autosaves were made with this mod in mind. (Recommendations for mods by other people will appear here when I have tested them.)
Solitaire Sandbox 0.9 beta
A peaceful SimCity-like game mode with almost no RNG. Play solo or challenge the world!