Wonder Elimination Thread

Hanging Gardens 8
Leaning Tower of Pisa 11
Oracle 18 (+1)
Petra 5 (-3)

Petra still too dependent on a terrain that I do not get very often.
Oracle still the early game wonder, of what's left. Early game is where you can win/lose.

Playing a deity map right now as the celts. Got a desert/forest start on Pangaea (Quite strange to be honest) [Forest tiles on grassland on one side - desert all around it though]

You dont have to "rig" your maps. Even if not playing as the Inca 5+ desert tiles make Petra quite amazing. With Civil Service - a source of fresh water + a hill = +3 food +4 hammers + 1/2 gold [And thats before the rest of the other Modifiers]. Lets put it this way - thats like a manufactury along with added gold/food. When desert spawns - it tends to be in decent swathes. In reality I have found decent spots nearby cap for a potential Petra in about 80% of my games (And I have never played a desert heavy map post GK). Petra is a case of something being better than it is on paper). With a little scouting it really isn't hard to do

There tend to be the occasional lux spots that are in (formerly) useless desert too. Petra has such a nice synergy with Hanging Gardens and the Desert Pantheon. [Hanging Gardens being on the path to Petra]

Pisa is useful by all means [a free great person is nothing to scoff at]. But as a wonder to propell a civ throughout the game to win? It does not beat Petra. It does not beat Hanging gardens, in many cases it does not even beat the Oracle.

Hanging Gardens 9
Leaning Tower of Pisa 8
Oracle 18
Petra 5

This is getting tough. I still love the HG, partly for the science boost all game, but mostly for the immediate production boost. This wonder allows you to work 3 mines and still grow in the early game. Those hammers can be a life-saver, and they can be used for anything, making the HG the most versatile wonder left.

I love the LT, but I don't think great people are as powerful as they were in vanilla. With only 4 left, my downvote really could have gone to any of them.

Hanging Gardens 8
Leaning Tower of Pisa 11 (-3)
Oracle 17 (+1)
Petra 8

CI died while I wasn't looking? What a shame. Pisa, I will break you! For my reasons, please see above for my multiple Pisa hate posts (I actually like Pisa, but it's about #7 on my list). The Oracle is the best of these four wonders. The SP bonus is really solid at this point in the game (great for getting a free settler or getting closer to a tradition/liberty finisher), and the culture output is really good compared to contemporaneous wonders.

CI been killed by Petra lovers :-(

Hanging Gardens 9
Leaning Tower of Pisa 5
Oracle 19
Petra 5

Oracle's still the wonder I would take every game

AFAIK, Deity/Immortal doesn't affect the terrain you get (and if it did, it would probably give you MORE deserts if anything). Roll a standard continents map and I'd say around 60-80% of the time there will be a desert near your capital. I've yet to roll one where there wasn't a desert within a 10 tile radius or so. Even those annoying ones where you're stuck out on your own on a little island...still a few desert tiles. Petra is almost like putting down your own river, and it increases the number of useful tiles in your territory.

Just started a game with the Incans to see if I can get desert on the first roll, and what do ya know? Found one on my 3rd city spot, now it's actually at least 10 tiles away and Austria was kind of in the way, so I did my usual early warmonger game (Incans' mountain walk is fricking awesome) and popped a GE with Liberty finisher and got my 6 desert hills, 2 sheeps, and 2 quarries (not on deserts though). With terrace farms it's almost a joke, now I didn't have any mountains nearby that city but I say 2 food, 3 production, and one gold to be an awesome deal on 6 tiles.

Already hard produced the Hagia Sophia with that city since it eclipsed my capital's production as early as 5 citizens (my capital have 10 but only have 2 hills and a bunch of jungles).

Hanging Gardens 10
Leaning Tower of Pisa 5
Oracle 19
Petra 2

Petra isn't good enough to be in the top 4. It's far too situational. When you actually can build it, it's too powerful. Bad wonder!

On the other hand, Hanging Gardens is fantastic for any strategy!

Hanging Gardens 11
Leaning Tower of Pisa 5
Oracle 16
Petra 2

WOW, oracale should not have lasted nearly this long in my opinion, let alone have such a strong point lead. I'd much rather have the hanging gardens in litteraly every possible scenario! I can't beleive Macchu Picchu was voted off before the oracle.

Petra too has lasted FAR too long, its a nice wonder for sure. But that doesn't change the fact that its a wonder based around making a desert city viable instead of mediocre at best.

Some of the reasons Oracle is on top:

-If you go Tradition, it can finish Tradition early to utilize the finisher ASAP with 4 cities.
-If you go Liberty, it can pop a GE to rush any wonder you'd liked that haven't been built yet (Looking at you Petra)
-It is rarely on the AI's priority list and is almost always a guarantee provided you have decent hammers (10+).
-It saves 4-6 turns with a cultural victory. It gives domination games a direly needed SP to get military caste to keep the rush going while maintaining happiness.
+3 culture and one GS point is just icing on the cake.

Hanging Gardens is often too much of a risk on Immortal+ to build. Probably one of the major reasons a bunch of players doesn't like it as much as the Oracle.

Hanging Gardens is often too much of a risk on Immortal+ to build. Probably one of the major reasons a bunch of players doesn't like it as much as the Oracle.

Yeah on immortal/diety all of the ancient/classic wonders are difficult to impossible to build. You do not have to rush as much to build the Oracle.

edited my post, thanks for the corrections. I didn't realize 2 others posted at the same time.

Hanging Gardens 11
Leaning Tower of Pisa 5
Oracle 16 (+1)
Petra 0 (-3)

Oracle is simply good enough on any map, no matter the situation.

Petra is awesome but situational. Only about a fourth of the time will you have a city surrounded by 3 or 4 desert tiles, enough to max out this bonus. Bye, bye Petra....

Hanging Gardens 12
Leaning Tower of Pisa 3
Oracle 11

Edit: I hope someone from Polycast has a look into the thread! :D

Hanging Gardens 13
Leaning Tower of Pisa 3
Oracle 8

Love HG. Pumps your capital and all

I actually downvoted Oracle just because I preffer Pisa... Free GP>Free SP

Hanging Gardens 13
Leaning Tower of Pisa 0
Oracle 9

Uh- Oh. It's down to two now. Election day has come. Which one is the Republican and which one is the Democrat? lol

Top Bottom