Wfybta

schlaufuchs

Break My Heart
So, I've been playing a game over the course of the last week. I'm playing as HC on a Large Continents at Epic speed, difficulty is Noble. I expanded rather quickly, laying down I think 8 cities by 1 AD. I neighbored Pacal and Hannibal, with Monty to my north separated by a short strait, and Churchill further to the Northeast. Pacal and I got really friendly, he even volutarily vassaled to me. After that I beat Hannibal into a pulp, and vassalized him. Now Pacal and I have been doing a lot of trading together, but out of the blue he hit the WFYBTA limit (at "friendly" relations). This is the first time I've hit that threshold, as in my past games I dominated to such an extent that there was no one to really trade with. So, once WFYBTA hits, that's it, right? No more trading with that Civ? Which is a shame, as the only other leader in my game who even comes close to matching either of us technologically is Toku (and he ain't trading with ANYONE!). What do you guys do about WFYBTA? Do you have to just pick and choose the techs you trade for? Also, I was under the impression that WFYBTA does not apply at friendly, is that not true?

I believe every turn a given leader has a chance to "forget" one tech trade and allow you to buy a tech from them.

So, I've been playing a game over the course of the last week. I'm playing as HC on a Large Continents at Epic speed, difficulty is Noble. I expanded rather quickly, laying down I think 8 cities by 1 AD. I neighbored Pacal and Hannibal, with Monty to my north separated by a short strait, and Churchill further to the Northeast. Pacal and I got really friendly, he even volutarily vassaled to me. After that I beat Hannibal into a pulp, and vassalized him. Now Pacal and I have been doing a lot of trading together, but out of the blue he hit the WFYBTA limit (at "friendly" relations). This is the first time I've hit that threshold, as in my past games I dominated to such an extent that there was no one to really trade with. So, once WFYBTA hits, that's it, right? No more trading with that Civ? Which is a shame, as the only other leader in my game who even comes close to matching either of us technologically is Toku (and he ain't trading with ANYONE!). What do you guys do about WFYBTA? Do you have to just pick and choose the techs you trade for? Also, I was under the impression that WFYBTA does not apply at friendly, is that not true?

Here's my two bits worth.

a) WFYBTA does gradually decay.
b) Friendly civs will continue to trade, but they are picky.
c) I often avoid accepting a tech I don't want (when offered as part of "what would make this deal work") to delay WFYBTA.
d) I expect to out tech them anyway in the later game.

RJM

he doesn't like your other vassal. I've learned this the hard way. If you have vassals, other rivals disposition is a combination of that between them and you and them and your vassals.

So he isn't actually 'friendly' if you have vassals that he isn't friendly with.

I know I didn't use the best words, but i hope you get the idea.

@above

Well that's just plain...annoying! Oh well.

Thanks VoU, that's really, really helpful!

Well, I finished the game...I ended up shooting for Capitulation Conquest, and had 5/8 opponents I needed, but Toku was quite the warmonger and managed to gain Shaka and Stalin as vassals. So I ended up fighting three nations simultaneously for about 10 years or so. It was not really that difficult, tanks versus Samurai and Longbows, I wonder who'll win :rolleyes:. Anyways, by the end I simply stopped caring about everything else and spammed military down their throats. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I couldn't pick up Stalin or Shaka as vassals until I gained Toku, I ended up gathering copious amounts of land, and tripped over the dom threshold shortly after getting Toku and Stalin on board (mainly because Shaka was stubborn and wouldn't capitulate...with 2 cities and a nonexistant army!!!). Oh well, I won Dom in I think 1910 AD, and got about 36,000 points or so (My first Augustus Caesar level :goodjob:).

I guess it's not really related to WFYBTA, but I just thought some of you would like to know...

Also, remember how I said that I spammed military in the end? Well...end-game demographics said that I had an army composed of 36,000,000 (36 million) men :eek: Yeah, pretty ridiculous if you ask me :lol:

Top Bottom