Hidden nationality

The Snug

The Civ Heretic
What would ppl think of expanding this ability in the game. I know some mods have added HN special forces paratroopers, but how often do each of us get to the modern era? So, how about having a unit in each era that is designated as an HN unit? Like allowing each civ to possess a max of 2 or 3 expensive HN cavalry, elephants or axemen.

How about giving Viking Bezerkers HN so that they really can live up to their historical role. I was thinking of making a special caravel like ship that could carry 3 HN macemen in similar fashion to how they carry spies. That way, they could actually roam about the coastline, making raids on enemy cities and improvements, and yet not be able to actually capture cities. Could probably get someone to make a python script that would permit these HN units to gain money each time they kill something.

You could use them to kill neighboring civs' settlers to prevent them from settling certain areas.

It would certainly add spice to the game.

It might add a level of mayhem and joy if you could have your unit adopt another civ's nationality, do something nasty, and then Sury gets blamed for it, for instance.

Sort of appeals to my "canine female" side, if you will. :p

Well, I'm quite scolded by my "briliant" idea of making Civ III Guerrilla have hidden nationality, that resulted on hordes of AI guerrillas fighting in my lands ( and theirs ) ;) Was fun once, but god forbid to see that happening eveytime :p

Well, I'm quite scolded by my "briliant" idea of making Civ III Guerrilla have hidden nationality, that resulted on hordes of AI guerrillas fighting in my lands ( and theirs ) ;) Was fun once, but god forbid to see that happening eveytime :p

lol. that must have been exciting. In civ4, you can easily set a limit on these HN units in the same fashion that you can with Missionaries and Execs.

I made an Arabian UU, the Bandit, a strength 3 Chariot with HN. Didn't work for some reason. But it was a bad idea- UUs having HN is obvious. If you see Berserkers or Bandits running around, you hardly suspect Willem doing it, do you?

The main problem with this is the AI, it is totally daft in utilizing HN units.

I made an Arabian UU, the Bandit, a strength 3 Chariot with HN. Didn't work for some reason. But it was a bad idea- UUs having HN is obvious. If you see Berserkers or Bandits running around, you hardly suspect Willem doing it, do you?

... That Gandhi keeps sending his Praetorians to my door.

HN units would have to be banned from capturing cities, or captured cities would have to become barbarian. Otherwise, the AI would have trouble dealing with cheesy sneak attacks poaching its cities easily to the human.

HN units would have to be banned from capturing cities, or captured cities would have to become barbarian. Otherwise, the AI would have trouble dealing with cheesy sneak attacks poaching its cities easily to the human.

That's a given. The special forces units that some mods use are limited in that fashion, and also limited in the amount that can exist.

Have you tried this in Fall from Heaven?

The Svartalfar (dark elves) World Spell turns all their units Hidden Nationality.
They have to declare nationality and declare war to capture cities of course, but they can kill settlers, workers, all your troops etc before declaring war.
There is also the Council of Esus religion with which you can get units with hidden nationality.

I have a hard time envisioning Hidden Nationality for a regular Civ game though. What would be the historical relevance? Even the Vikings captured cities to keep (danish conquest in England for example).

Have you tried this in Fall from Heaven?

The Svartalfar (dark elves) World Spell turns all their units Hidden Nationality.
They have to declare nationality and declare war to capture cities of course, but they can kill settlers, workers, all your troops etc before declaring war.
There is also the Council of Esus religion with which you can get units with hidden nationality.

I have a hard time envisioning Hidden Nationality for a regular Civ game though. What would be the historical relevance? Even the Vikings captured cities to keep (danish conquest in England for example).

How about terrorists? They work basically like the privateers did back in their days, and their home countries don't take the blame. It could be that hidden nationalities could become possible only in the modern times with some tech requirement.

Top Bottom