Unrestricted leaders: Best combo?

Tamed

Warlord
Can anyone think of a leader\nation that'd work really well together?

And by really well, I don't mean picking those super early game units that replace the warrior, I mean a nation that'd continually be useful! =) And by that I also DON'T mean that the unit has to be end-game. Just something more useful than a newbie rush strategy unit.

Also, is anyone disappointed that no nation gets a unique settler? Maybe a settler that could move an extra space per turn, or ignore movement penelties would've been cooler than some of the existing units.

It depends, what kind of?

If military, i'd say Boudica of Rome. Combat I praetorians with promo discount gives a HUGE bonus over the enemy.

Economy? Huayna of America late game. But that's just me. Malls provide a nice gold boost along with extra happiness from hits, and his traits are just great for alot of gold.

Research? Elizabeth of Russia or France. The Salon and Research Center provide extra beakers and if that weren't enough, her traits make Elizabeth of France/Russia a good combo.

Hehe thanks for the info! I still don't exactly understand how commerce quite works in the game, aside from more gold coins = more gold.. but it doesn't effect production at all, right?

Joao of Inca

Hammy of Sumeria

Napoleon of Mongolia

Churchill of Mali (Charlemagne isn't bad either)

AGG leader of Rome

ORG leaders of the civs with courthouse UB's

Note that darius of persia, JC of rome, the egyptians, and huayna of inca compete pretty well with the above and are not unrestricted...

Hamurabi of Sumeria.

Agressive vulture rushe even more than regular one.

1/3 price courthouse that come with priesthood is not half bad, either.

Huayna Capac of the Indians.

Two great builder's traits and a special unit that will help them build the entire game.

Joao of the Incas can be really fun.

I also enjoy Napoleon of the Aztecs. A bit overkill on courthouse discount but medieval war becomes very easy and very enjoyalbe for me. A nice chance of pace.

Tokugawa of the Malinese would be an pretty awesome rusher.

Really, Tokugawa plus anyone with a strong archery/gunpowder unit.

The Persian leaders have the most synergetic traits (org/fin and cha/imp). Now pair them to a synergetic UB or UU:

Darius of the Holy Roman Empire.
Imagine Fin/Org with a half priced rathaus.. A huge empire with the science slider on 100% non-stop!

Cyrus of the Mongols
Conquer your continent with your insanely promoted keshiks. Wait some centuries and conquer the other continent or last remaining civs with your upgraded level 5 cavalry :king:

For some reason I just never played unrestricted leaders - not even once. Now that you have all kindly showed me some of the possibilities I'll give it a shot.
EDIT:
Huayna Capac of the Indians.

Two great builder's traits and a special unit that will help them build the entire game.
Well, thank you for that. I just played my first unrestricted leaders game as Churchill of Mali. Things were rolling right along until my Caravel discovered Huayna Capac of the Indians. :lol:
It did not go well from there. :cry:

I think I'd prefer Mehmed of Inca over Joao. With Quechuas, there is a non-neglegible chance we won't build too many city ourselves... and even for peaceful expansion, I think on hammer-saving trait and free culture is enough. I'd rather have something that helps paying the bills.

I definitely agree on Hammurabi of Sumer and Churchill of Mali.

I also mostly agree with TMIT about the default leaders. I'd include Elizabeth and Augustus in the 'Already Perfect Club' and kick Hatty out instead though.

I think Joia of Inca is possibly the best leader/civ pairing for an MP FFA game with enough land.

I think Joia of Inca is possibly the best leader/civ pairing for an MP FFA game with enough land.

If it's FFA and you can communicate to other player, I would recommand Hannibal of Germany.

You begin by making few city and convince people to leave you alone because you're weak, and in the end appear panzer and the germanic UB ;) Hannibal work well to appear weak because financial / charismatic make you have few city, but very big and productive.

I wouldn't say best, but Churchill of the Native Americans is pretty sweet. Build Stonehenge, get lots of XBows and Longbows.

I've done it before, and with Theocracy/Vassalage, you get some wicked archer units than can then be upgraded.

Boudica of Spain. Awesome mid-game military rampage with highly promoted siege and Conqs.

>>Is there some synergy between Inca uniques and Imperialistic I'm not thinking of?
Yes, you need only "warriors" to expand and feel safe. (both peaceful or rush anyone nearby)

i'd go on a wierd tangent and say Tokugawa of England ... Stock exchange will help on his Economy and his Redcoats would be godly

Top Bottom