How to get people to like you?

OmegaKabob

Le Just Derpin' Around ~
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but does anyone know how to get other civilizations to be less hostile, friendly, or get out of guarded status? I am a Mac player so I don't have the new patch yet :confused: Any real diplomacy methods? Because it seems like after I destroy the Civilization everybody hates, I'm labeled a warmonger and everyone is now guarded/hostile.

Don't destroy a civilization, leave them a city somewhere, or you will become pretty unpopular. You also become unpopular when you take a capital, less so though. They don't like you taking citystates either, but worst is to destroy a Civ.

Before the patch, the best way to try and remedy standings was to denounce someone, often the big warmonger on the map . His enemies might change towards you.

Be careful with DoF's. If the AI you become friends with starts warmongering and pissing the other AI's off, they'll get pissed at you by association. I know I don't agree to these until a I get a good feel for the AI's other relationships.

The surest way to get everyone to like you is:

-don't declare war on anyone or capture any cities.
-don't expand too much.
-stay either low or middle of the pack in score.

Simple :D

If you're kicking ass, taking names, and winning, nobody is going to like you.

If only that last post were true. I'm only playing on Prince as I'm fairly new to this but I have a nice 3 city civ, have never pissed anybody off, have kept myself to myself and not declared war or taken any cities and am mid table in the scores yet 2 seperate civs have declared war on me. One backed off fairly quickly but the other just will not give in. I can defend myself from him easily but he's like a dog with a bone, why doesn't he just shut up yapping and leave me be.

This game is supposed to be Civilisation V not Warmongering 5 if all I wanted was to make war all the time I would do that, but I'm getting slightly miffed that every Civ I have come up against will just declare war constantly, frankly it's getting boring!

Does diplomacy improve after the patch? I remember something about the better trade deal you give a civ, the less they will hate you, or something along those lines in the patch notes.

If only that last post were true. I'm only playing on Prince as I'm fairly new to this but I have a nice 3 city civ, have never pissed anybody off, have kept myself to myself and not declared war or taken any cities and am mid table in the scores yet 2 seperate civs have declared war on me. One backed off fairly quickly but the other just will not give in. I can defend myself from him easily but he's like a dog with a bone, why doesn't he just shut up yapping and leave me be.

This game is supposed to be Civilisation V not Warmongering 5 if all I wanted was to make war all the time I would do that, but I'm getting slightly miffed that every Civ I have come up against will just declare war constantly, frankly it's getting boring!

Ah, but my post is true. But people liking you and people declaring war on you are actually not the same thing. They overlap often, but people can like you and still DOW you.

I'm referring to attitude and how much trade moneys they give you, ie: friendly, guarded etc. But friendly people will still come at you if your army is small. The only way to prevent that is a reasonably sized army.

The people DOWing you is actually a fairly good way to make money: wipe out their incompetent invasions, at which point their power level will fall below yours, and then they will sue for peace and give you tons of gold and gpt!

If you're going to warmonger and want to stay friends with some of the civs for your post war peaceful phase then try to get into a love triangle and always give into your friends demands.

Do your warmongering, conquering stuff preferably against civ/s that your team doesn't like, but leave all conquered civs with one minor city each. Use their puppeted lands to generate lots of gold.

DoF's provide a buffer to your warmongering ways, your friends will not get upset with you so long as you don't wipe out a civ totally and you give them stuff when they ask. Then you can RA to your hearts content or whatever else your post war plans are.

If you plan on going for domination win then who cares what they think as you're gonna take all their lands anyway :lol:

Lol snarzberry, I guess if theyre gonna lose it they might as well lose it now. Sorry for this question, but i keep on seeing DOW everywhere. im new to civ so im not sure what that means. What does DOW mean?

No worries, DoW means Declaration of War. On the forums it's usually used as a verb which throws people. To DoW someone is to declare war on them. If you were DoW'd then someone declared war on you. Same for DoF and declaration of friendship.

Oh thanks! DoF is kind of obvious but i was confused on DoW. So i tried not wiping out the whole civilization when conquering, and nobody seems to notice how terribly warmonger-ish i am. =D Thanks everyone :)

Sorry if this is in a guide or something
I have not taken anyones cities forcefully (I got 1 diplomatically) and I am not hated for being a warmonger and I have no idea how to get people to like me, they remain in neutral but I want get friendly to trade better.
Any solutions?

My usual tactic is to offer them small amounts of gold per turn for free, and often resources I don't need as well.

Give them 5 gpt recurring (or equivalent in resources/luxes). More than that won't help.

Give them your religion (if they don't have one) or take theirs if they do.

Propose stuff they like in World Congress.

Vote for them as host (successfully) in World Congress.

Vote for their resolutions (successfully) in World Congress.

Send trade routes to them.

Go to war with them against a common foe (even if you don't take cities or even destroy units).

Take their ideology.

Build a landmark in their territory.

Denounce people they denounce.

Get Declaration of Friendships with their friends.

Liberate their cities.

Free their captured workers/settlers.

Might be forgetting a few but you get the gist.

Those are all best practices for friendly AI. I would say the biggest boost you'll get in relations, particularly early game, is sending a trade route. It doesn't show up as a diplo modifier, but you will be amazed at the number of times that the AI will offer a DoF the turn after you send them a route.

Top Bottom