UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rub'Rum

Hates acronyms
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

It seems Firaxis wants to say "screw you" to the guys who are currently making the betrayal of a game that is going to be the first person shooter "UFO" game, and release their own actual strategy game version of it. I have to say, this could be pretty awesome, provided Firaxis remembers who they are.

I remember playing the original UFO when it first came out and being scared like a little girl at pixelated unknown. Ah, the days before the internet guides to tell you everything about games.

I still have UFO and tried playing it a bit. I'm not super good at it, never was. I think it could really benefit from being revamped and brought up to par with modern technology. Perfect example of a game in need of (proper) remaking.

Moderator Action: More links:
Reviews:

Other interesting articles:

Its about time, but I'm very nervous that they are making console versions and a PC version at the same time. Between Skyrim's and Dead Island console style interfaces and myself unable to remember any strategy games made for consoles and PCs at the same time I am a little worried.

Its about time, but I'm very nervous that they are making console versions and a PC version at the same time. Between Skyrim's and Dead Island console style interfaces and myself unable to remember any strategy games made for consoles and PCs at the same time I am a little worried.

Did Firaxis ever make games that were meant to be released for both platforms at the same time? I can't think of any right now. Yeah, I agree that judging from the quality for PC users of dual-releases of late, it is a bit worrisome, but since this seems like it might be the first Firaxis attempt at it... I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and be a little hopeful.

Guys, next time please notify someone to bring it on the main page ^^.

Oh, and this thread here is currently on the first google page if you search for "firaxis ufo enemy unknown" :D.

mmhh...that will be interesting. I don't know the original titles, so there's no nostalgia there, but I still hope for some interesting game. I think after the shooter was announced, many people said that a real strategy studio should take the franchise up, and IIRC also Firaxis was mentioned there. Well...happend now. Let's see.

I would prefer it if Firaxis worked on a substantial expansion to fix CiV.
I have actually never played X-Com, but the concept is interesting. I hope it's primarily designed as a PC game with a decent UI. A TBS with a poorly ported console interface would be even worse than Skyrim.

Although I never played the original X-Com, this sounds interesting. If it's good, I'll definitely buy it.

The only letdown is that there probably won't come any more DLC/addons for Civ V.

Let's hope they won't streamline it into oblivion.

There are a lot of XCOM remakes on the market already, so the bar is set pretty high. With the trajectory Firaxis have been following recently (Civ Rev, Civ Facebook, CIV5), i'm not getting my hopes up. Besides, the original is perfectly playable to this day.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I now have a reason to live. My absolute all time favourite game for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more betrayal!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to hell Civilization, I want XCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, hope it's just as dark and scary as the original. Nothing like hunting those floating tanks with nothing more than a pistol and a couple of clips left. I'm an optimist by the way.

Its about time, but I'm very nervous that they are making console versions and a PC version at the same time.

Yeah I was optimistic until I read that. CivRev is not a BAD game, but judging from the recent work Firaxis has been doing I am going to put this game on the "wait and see with very low expectations" list.

I feel like someone announced another XCom remake (not the FPS and with a different name) that would be coming out this year but I can't remember what it is called.

Yeah I was optimistic until I read that. CivRev is not a BAD game, but judging from the recent work Firaxis has been doing I am going to put this game on the "wait and see with very low expectations" list.

CivRev was alright at most, but it was never meant for the PC. If they design this new game with the same philosophy and somehow decide that this one is released on PC, then there will be a lot of disappointment. They must know that they are toying with a game that mostly "dedicated long-time" gamers are familiar with. If they want to make it a super streamlined thing to be released on PC, they are toying with the wrong franchise. They might as well create a new IP or something.

Hopefully, it lives up to the legacy. Looks like Civ V development is over then. I guess the GOTY edition was a sign of this already. I wonder when they will finally release the source code though.

I can't help but get super excited about this. I know it's bad to get your hopes up with game remakes because it never turns out exactly like you hope it to be. But for me, X-Com is the game from my childhood. I started with Terror From the Deep, so I kind of hope that they include elements from that in some way. Probably will as a DLC if the game sells well.

I feel like someone announced another XCom remake (not the FPS and with a different name) that would be coming out this year but I can't remember what it is called.

You might be thinking of Xenonauts.

I would prefer it if Firaxis worked on a substantial expansion to fix CiV.
I have actually never played X-Com, but the concept is interesting. I hope it's primarily designed as a PC game with a decent UI. A TBS with a poorly ported console interface would be even worse than Skyrim.
Hopefully it will be BtS and not Warlords

u can get xcom unknow enemy (the original) from steam at the moment for $1.69 (called UFO Defence for some reason)
the yogscast are also playing a game and youtubing it at the moment

but excellent game and worth the time and effort to play the original!

Stick a fork in Civilization 5, I think it is done. ;)

Looks better than the crappy FPS that 2K Games is making.

Should be interesting to see how this one compares to Xenonauts.

I loved the original X-COM. Very, very fun.

I would rather see the source code for Civilization 5 so modders can attempt to salvage what they can out of it, though.

Please tell me this game won't be as simplistic as CivRev...:gripe:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom