Does HydroPlant stop working if I loose the Aluminum?

hamorphis

Chieftain
Hello,

Maybe this is a very stupid question.

Suppose I had Aluminium from a city state, which allowed me to build a HydroPlant. When I no longer have that 1 Aluminium, does the HydroPlant still do its job or not?

A very simple question.

Thanks.

A factory doesn't suffer from lack fo coal. Is it the same for hydro plants? Good question :) I want to know too i never tried this before.

A factory doesn't suffer from lack fo coal. Is it the same for hydro plants? Good question :) I want to know too i never tried this before.

Well, with units it is clear. If you had the resource when you built the unit it does not disappear when you no longer have the resource. I hope it is the same with buildings such as Factories and Hydro Plants. For example, if I befirend a city state with 3 Aluminium and then build 3 Hydro Plants, I hope that I will benefit from them after I no longer have Aluminium.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Well, with units it is clear. If you had the resource when you built the unit it does not disappear when you no longer have the resource.

True, but they have 50% ressource penalty during combat. Factories don't lose their capacities.

If you've build a building, it's benefits will always work no matter what was needed to build it.

Factories will work without coal. So will Hydro and Nuclear Plants.
A Circus will still provide happiness when the pasture on the local horses is destroyed.
Stable/Forges still provide extra production (same for Stoneworks).

Random question came to my mind when thinking about what else there is:
Could a Recycling Center (+2 Aluminium, only 5 allowed per civ) not be destroyed when capturing a city? If so, would you be able to circumvent the 5 per civ limit by that?

If you've build a building, it's benefits will always work no matter what was needed to build it.

A Circus will still provide happiness when the pasture on the local horses is destroyed.
Stable/Forges still provide extra production (same for Stoneworks).

Random question came to my mind when thinking about what else there is:
Could a Recycling Center (+2 Aluminium, only 5 allowed per civ) not be destroyed when capturing a city? If so, would you be able to circumvent the 5 per civ limit by that?

That is what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!

Yes -- but keep in mind that if you want to build UNITS that require those resources, the first resources that are available will go to maintaining the buildings.

Example: You get 3 Aluminum from Ragusa. You use those three to build three Hydro Plants. Ragusa then gets eaten by runaway civ the Iroquois. You lose your 3 Aluminum, but keep your Hydro Plants.

Now you discover Stealth and want to build a fleet of Stealth Bombers. You befriend Almaty and they give you 4 Aluminum. "Yay!" you think. "4 Stealth Bombers!" Not quite. The first 3 Aluminum go to maintaining your Hydro Plants. You get 1 leftover and so you get to build 1 Stealth Bomber.

I figure this is mostly self-evident, but nobody's mentioned it yet, so I thought I would. :)

cheers,
Phil

Thanks a lot dslartoo :goodjob:

Yes -- but keep in mind that if you want to build UNITS that require those resources, the first resources that are available will go to maintaining the buildings.

Example: You get 3 Aluminum from Ragusa. You use those three to build three Hydro Plants. Ragusa then gets eaten by runaway civ the Iroquois. You lose your 3 Aluminum, but keep your Hydro Plants.

Now you discover Stealth and want to build a fleet of Stealth Bombers. You befriend Almaty and they give you 4 Aluminum. "Yay!" you think. "4 Stealth Bombers!" Not quite. The first 3 Aluminum go to maintaining your Hydro Plants. You get 1 leftover and so you get to build 1 Stealth Bomber.

I figure this is mostly self-evident, but nobody's mentioned it yet, so I thought I would. :)

cheers,
Phil

Thanks mate. Now that is quite important. I don't have any aluminum myself, so this might be tough game for me. I wonder how space ship building might happen without aluminum.

If you don't have aluminum, you need to build the recycling center, which gives you a couple.

I suffer none of these limitations. I do not mod my game if i have one of the resource and it only requires 1 I can make as many of the building/unit as I want. I also have hydroplants and recycling centers in every city. i made have read the conversation wrong.

I suffer none of these limitations. I do not mod my game if i have one of the resource and it only requires 1 I can make as many of the building/unit as I want. I also have hydroplants and recycling centers in every city. i made have read the conversation wrong.

Recyling Centers create 2 units of Aluminium each (and there is a limit on those; only 5 can be built.) But since each hydroplant only uses 1, you have a surplus when you do this.

I understand you can only have one of each in every city. I'm thought they were saying your nation could only have so many.

I will frequently buy coal or aluminum from the AI, build what I need, and fail to renew the contract. :mischief:

are you sure you're not playing civ IV?

Top Bottom