When animals don't attack

Riflin'Joe

Prince
This bear, which was on the tile to the north, could have eaten my scout for dinner, but just wandered off instead. I've seen this quite frequently - is it just random?

Attachments

• animal.JPG
    animal.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 555
I think he saw a salmon jumping out of that river.

I've seen that happen many times. I assume it is just random

I've observed this behavior on human barbs too, although they're somewhat more intelligent, aside from "garrisoning" goody huts I've seen them avoid low-odds battles for easier targets or go straight for improvements/cities. I've also noticed some types of animals - panthers and wolves - are more "aggressive," because they seem to always attack whichever non-barb unit ends up in their 2-tile movement range even if their target is out of their 1-tile sight, unlike other animals (like in OP) that might probably attack if the target is on an adjacent tile; anyone who can confirm these?

I've observed this behavior on human barbs too, although they're somewhat more intelligent, aside from "garrisoning" goody huts I've seen them avoid low-odds battles for easier targets or go straight for improvements/cities. I've also noticed some types of animals - panthers and wolves - are more "aggressive," because they seem to always attack whichever non-barb unit ends up in their 2-tile movement range even if their target is out of their 1-tile sight, unlike other animals (like in OP) that might probably attack if the target is on an adjacent tile; anyone who can confirm these?

The human barbs get smarter over time too. The first barbarian warrior you see will always attack you outside of city radius. Later on, they will bypass fortified units and head straight for your cities.

Personally, I'm always happy when bears don't attack my scouts. The only time I seem to win is if I'm on a wooded hill, across a river, with woodsman 2. Speaking of animals attacking, how many times has this happened to you? :lol:

Animals shun aggression 10% of the cases. That is a hardcoded fact. Indeed, those 10% are the most awesome along bears. Those 10% happened to me quite often.

Either civilized AI's or barbs, they always attack the weakest. That is an advanced tactic in warfare like using a scout (hyper weak) or a worker (nonexistent strength) to bait a stack to delay the onset. Between a city and a bait unit though, it won't work all the time because those units often have UNITAI_CITY_ATTACK...so preferring cities if really weakened and odds for the AI are overwhelming!

Now, back to the subject, there is two levels of barb behaviours according how advanced global expansion (average number of cities per number of AI's plus human player). First level of attitude: the barbs are attracted to juicy pillaging improvement at a certain distance. Second level of attitude and final one: the distance is accrued, thus barbs are starting ignoring camping units.

BTW, all AI units have omniscience, some sort of internal radar to follow some prey, but actually their fogbusting abilities and sight are normal just like the human player. The reason behind that kind of cheat is the total lack of memorization like the human players or simply deduction. That handicap simulates without huge background CPU uses intelligent AI.

Personally, I'm always happy when bears don't attack my scouts. The only time I seem to win is if I'm on a wooded hill, across a river, with woodsman 2. Speaking of animals attacking, how many times has this happened to you? :lol:

A snake biting me? I'd like to see that in a mod. It could pop up in Jungle tiles.
The rest of it, yes.
:)

Regarding the fog defying panthers and wolves, someone explained in another thread that the AI doesn't remember your movements turn to turn so to get around this AI units can see as far as they can move each turn (otherwise escaping a stronger AI unit would just be a matter of moving 1 space away). This creates the unfortunate side effect of units with 2 or more moves always knowing where your units are if the are in range - which is why panthers and wolves always track you down, and AI oil powered naval units appear to cheat.

Can't remember the thread or who explained this though sorry.

Regarding the fog defying panthers and wolves, someone explained in another thread that the AI doesn't remember your movements turn to turn so to get around this AI units can see as far as they can move each turn (otherwise escaping a stronger AI unit would just be a matter of moving 1 space away). This creates the unfortunate side effect of units with 2 or more moves always knowing where your units are if the are in range - which is why panthers and wolves always track you down, and AI oil powered naval units appear to cheat.

Can't remember the thread or who explained this though sorry.

Use search and "coze" keyword coze that makes sense. ;)

I definitely notice barbs and animals don't tend to approach you when they come out of the fog for about the first 10-12 turns (my guess) after they start spawning. They pop in and pop out as long as they are at least 2 tiles away. After that, they seem to pop in and approach you. I notice this more with military units than Scouts, though.

Early in each "phase" I constantly have them "decide" not to attack me. After about 10 or so turns, that's no longer the case. Warriors even attack my Axes at that point...

I agree, and find it upsetting that they stereotype wolves in such a manor.

Animals are extremely unlikely to enter tiles that have resources on them, such as the gold tile your scout is on.
Animals have 10% chance to avoid an attack altogether as Tachywaxon mentioned above. They will never enter resource tiles if there's no unit to attack on them, otherwise the standard 90% chance applies.

Top Bottom