GREAT TUNNEL & GREAT BRIDGE engineering enhancements.

pr0orz1337

Chieftain
Don't let a tile of sea or a Mountain ruin the progress of an entire civilization.

An engineer must be capable of build a great infraestructure.

- GREAT TUNNEL

+ Capabiity available when Dynamite tech is discovered.

+ Engineer can enter into a mountain tile and construct a tunnel that connects two roads-raillways. Engineer is consumed during the process.

+ Revenue if worked: 1 culture, 5 gold, 2 yield, 1 food, 2 science. (proposed)

+ A military unit can shelter into a tunnel tile, 100% defense against distance attaks.

+ Sheltered unit remains invisible for enemy units unless they are placed in one of the two entrance tiles. Unit is visible when the enemy has satellite tech available.

+ Defense bonus against melee land units 50%

+ ¡No exit panic! attacking enemy unit benefits 75% Flanking bonus if the other side entrance tile is ocuped by another allied or own unit.

+ A sheltered unit can't be attacked by a flank that is not an entrance tile.

+ Great tunnel improvement only can be destroyed and unusable only by land military special forces (marines, parachutes (can't land over the mountain), mechanized infantery and above), wokers can repair a great tunnel (in 5 turns?).

+ Slow down military movement (like plain land when roads are at both sides of the tunnel, like a road when it has railroads at both sides)

- GREAT BRIDGE:

+ Embarked engineer can construct a great bridge that join two coast tiles. Engineer is consumed during the process.

+ Capability available when "Steam Power" tech is discovered.

+ Revenue if worked: 2 culture, 3 gold, 1 yield, 1 food, 3 science. (proposed)

+ The enhancement can be destroyed by artillerý fire and bomber air strikes. Workers can repair a Great Bridge (in 4 turns?)

+ Military unit placed into the great bridge recive a penalty of 50%.

+ Military unit over a bridge tile can be attacked by naval units (except submarines, and ancient age ones).

+ ¡No exit panic! Attaking a enemy unit placed in a great bridge benefits 50% flanking bonus if the other side bridge tile is ocuped by another allied or own unit.

+ Slow down military movement (like plain land when roads are at both sides of the bridge, like a road when it has railroads at both sides)

"Engineer can enter into a mountain tile and construct a tunnel that connects two roads-raillways. Engineer is consumed during the process."

:o Why?

If it must be something very costly, and there is no slavery would a lump sum of gold suffice?

"Engineer can enter into a mountain tile and construct a tunnel that connects two roads-raillways. Engineer is consumed during the process."

:o Why?

If it must be something very costly, and there is no slavery would a lump sum of gold suffice?
Te tunnel offers revenues if it's worked, connects cities offering gold, troops mobility and a strategic bonus. :mischief:

Good ideas. And it is only natural for a great Engineer to do these kind of constructions.
The bridge should span 1 of 2 tiles max. Maybe depending on the map size.

Since mountains are so critical to the game I would love to see engineers able to create a mountain next to your city thus enabling you to construct an observatory. Observatories are extremely strong and they are currently up to pure chance in most cases.

Obviously they would not have this ability until somewhat late in the game since creating mountains requires a high level of technology.

It would add a level of strategy as well since the mountain can act as a barrier against the enemy. An engineer well spent IMO.

Way back in Civ4 (or maybe Civ3) I suggested what would be a "Great Canal" that could work similar to these ideas. From a land tile (T1) (non-mountain) next to a water tile (T2), the Great Enginner could create a canal by turning that original land tile into a water tile, thereby extending the water's 'reach'.

Repeat for another land tile (T3) which is next to the now water tile (T1) would allow the canal to grow and connect 2 oceans or large lakes.

Movement rate might be limited similar to the above, say one tile/turn

Way back in Civ4 (or maybe Civ3) I suggested what would be a "Great Canal" that could work similar to these ideas. From a land tile (T1) (non-mountain) next to a water tile (T2), the Great Enginner could create a canal by turning that original land tile into a water tile, thereby extending the water's 'reach'.

Repeat for another land tile (T3) which is next to the now water tile (T1) would allow the canal to grow and connect 2 oceans or large lakes.

Movement rate might be limited similar to the above, say one tile/turn

If you do that you don't need to limit mouvement, it would just become some sea tile as all the others. But you would lost some workable land tiles in the process. I like it, although it looks like more like terraforming which might be wanted to be included too.

I personnally think that canals should be terrain features, and that you should have to consider buildings them or not like people do in reality. Maybe you have to draw coherent canals, and according to the number of tiles of canal, the price goes up exponentially. So it would never be impossible to build any canal, just more expensive or virtually impossible. Any tile with a canal should definitely grant gold in return. It could be even something like buying interests, then the player would put them everywhere he can like in reality.

These posts remind me of bridge building technology that allowed road connections after it was researched. Roads couldnt connect to each other when there was a river passing in between them so it was important to have bridges built to allow such road connections. Roads are already built on top of hills so tunnels dont need that much emphasis. Maybe you can turn mines into tunnels so that you can raise production and gold per mine. Not only that but you can maybe increase movement in roads in mines that have a tunnel without wasting great people on tiles.

I think this needs to be simplified greatly, bridges can be built by a work boat and must connect two land tiles, it acts like a road over water. A bridge can be constructed by moving a worker next to a mountain, 3 tiles need to be selected, a mountain and two exit tiles, units are invisible whilst inside unless the exits are approached.

Both improvements yield nothing extra and cost gold to maintain.

While both good ideas, I don't really see myself using either in a game, a great engineer is far more valuable as an instant wonder/SS part

I think it should just be regular workers doing it, I agree there are better uses for engineers as far as I'm concerned

Perhaps you can combine the two ideas and have Tunnels as kind of special improvements that can be built by workers but the worker is expanded in the process?

I think this needs to be simplified greatly, bridges can be built by a work boat and must connect two land tiles, it acts like a road over water. A bridge can be constructed by moving a worker next to a mountain, 3 tiles need to be selected, a mountain and two exit tiles, units are invisible whilst inside unless the exits are approached.

Both improvements yield nothing extra and cost gold to maintain.

THat´s what I would like.

Top Bottom