What do you like to name your cities?

Sedwick

Parent, then Civ'er
As a computer engineer, I like to base mine on the prefix multipliers that designate data block sizes, each successive city named after a larger one:

Bitnos
Nibblon
Bytenium
Kilos
Megg
Gigania
Terras
Petanos
Exante (highest I've gotten)
Zettas
Yottania

How about you?

Ha! That's great. I just let the game name my cities, but I like your approach. Presumably you rename conquered cities as well.

As a fan of old-style comics, and strips, if I come across a good name, I'll use it .

Podunk, Dogpatch, Mayberry, Abbotabad and Costelloabad, Fargo and Shortgo, Fort Worthless, Creepy Hollow, Dinkycity, and my favorite; Fumbuk !!

Any old or new funny name will work for me .
And, of course, that LAST city on the map for a Mass Extinction Kill, ... dALLASS !!

I roleplay fictional empires from time to time, most commonly Videssos from Harry Turtledove's eponymous series.

Ha! That's great. I just let the game name my cities, but I like your approach. Presumably you rename conquered cities as well.

I don't, actually. The old name helps remind me of the conquest, and I like to imagine that keeping it helps with citizen morale, as a show of respect to their past.

I think it'd be great if the game mechanics actually addressed changing conquered cities' names, perhaps with a several-turn happiness penalty, but also some culture reward for maintaining a theme (it would suggest the next civ-specific name).

I never rename cities. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't know, I like the alternate history feeling of the game.

If I'm playing a multiplayer game with friends usually we set weird restrictions for ourselves, so in those all of the city names end up being around those restrictions.

Example: We had a game where one of us declared war on an AI if that AI had any sheep within their territory, due to a holy quest for all of the sheep tiles on the map. All of his cities were sheep/wool/lamb/ranch themed names.

I find it cool to rename my conquered cities giving them some thematic changes according to my civilization. I.e: if I take Babylon with Portugal I'll rename it to Babilonia.

Maybe Star Wars planets sometimes...? There's enough of them that I'll never make it down the list.

I dont rename, but if I would my cap would be; Albion

I tend to name mine after my fantasy cities in my stories...

Vastiana.

Lastavia,

New Hope, etc, etc

Or after the land its founded on...

Large Lake.

East Coast.

Gems Green.

etc, etc,

I name my cities based on how I feel towards it, the surroundings, or alternatively the people inside it when I conquer it. Usually, in order of the circumstances I have provided:

Archos
Viennel
Biolab 2

When I capture cities I rename them after towns in the region I live in

Naming cities is one of the things I like to let the game do. Plus, if you end up sharing screen shots, veteran players can immediately tell the order of your expos.

I name them after Lord of the Rings or Discworld cities, or anything else that sounds cool, e.g. Imperium, El Dorado, etc.

I usually play with a mod that randomizes city names based on that civ's list of possible names, but when playing Brazil I name my cities after San Theodorosian ones. Likewise, if I'm Poland, the cities all take the names of Syldavian ones (and I always try to build the Apollo Project in Sprodj Atomic Research Base.)

cpm4001 said:
but when playing Brazil I name my cities after San Theodorosian ones. Likewise, if I'm Poland, the cities all take the names of Syldavian ones (and I always try to build the Apollo Project in Sprodj Atomic Research Base.)

Ha! Love it :D Ever name the capital of a European civ Marlinspike?

Top Bottom