‘Wrapping Your Homophobia Around the Bible!’

What makes me think that I'm heterosexual, myself?

Look at David Beckham. Look at his wife. Which one are you sexually attracted to? You just know which one you'd rather shag, don't you? It's an internal feely thingy that you just feel and know.

The thing with this guy is that you don't have access to his internal feely thingy. You have no idea how he feels about these things. He can tell you anything he wants and act in any way he wants, but that internal feely thingy is his sexual orientation, not anything else. That's why I asked "How do you know?". There are a lot of people who hide their internal feely thingies from society. The type of lifestyle they lead and how they act can be an indicator of someone's sexual orientation, but a lot of people keep them totally separate, preferring to hide what they really find attractive and not even act on it.

So I don't think it' slikely that he's gay or anything, or that he isn't, I am just curious what exactly he did for you to be so sure that he isn't.

It's a good question.

But in the same way that you can accept that I'm heterosexual by an internal feely thingy that I just feel and know, why can't you accept that I can feel reasonably certain that someone isn't dissembling about their own sexuality, using the same kind of mechanism?

Or, if you think you can justifiably call my judgement into doubt (and you, of course, can) why not apply it to my judgement of own sexuality too?

I agree that my judgement of my own sexuality is likely to be more accurate (assuming I'm being honest with myself - though there's no reason to suppose I always am), than my judgement of someone else's sexuality. But there's probably a margin of error in both cases.

In the end, I suppose, it comes down to how well you know another person (and yourself). If someone acts, and talks, consistently on a certain issue and gives no indication of dissembling on other issues either, and they do so over a period of time, I don't see why someone can't be averagely confident about them. Even though, or especially because, it's no big deal one way or another. I can understand someone dissembling if there's a reason to do, but to do so with no reason? Is that likely?

But in the same way that you can accept that I'm heterosexual by an internal feely thingy that I just feel and know, why can't you accept that I can feel reasonably certain that someone isn't dissembling about their own sexuality, using the same kind of mechanism?

Because you have access to your own internal feely thingy, and nobody else does. Only you know.

And if you are confused about it and you don't know, that's fine. The point is that you are the only one with access to this information.

Top Bottom