1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Éa, The Ageless and the Divine (phase 2, alpha)

Discussion in 'Éa Fantasy Mod Project' started by Pazyryk, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Found 2 bugs on my own:
    1. Sometimes you get an extra free policy when you reload game (only when you just took one that turn, I think)
    2. There's an accumulation of some +yields on exit/reloads.
    The 2nd one I understand now. I haven't investigated the 1st yet.

2. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

This should never be a problem, unless the game was corrupted by earlier errors. Please post Lua.log for games where you see errors. The code is littered with error "asserts" that check for situations that shouldn't exist and then throw the error popup. All there so I can identify/fix problems.

Thanks for all the other comments!

3. 400cats

400cats Chieftain

4. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Got it.

You just have to change extension to .txt to attach.

5. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

1. buildings that require the adoption of a policy (jeweler, monastic school, etc) can be built without the policy, just the resource or the other condition is needed for the moment.
    2. (from previous versions) a mispell in the help text file prevents help text for abattoir to show up (two b and one t instead of viceversa).

And yeah it was a lake plot the one I mentioned earlier. If I may suggest, this requires a hotfix because being unable to farm grassland is a major bug in many a map script.

6. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Sorry I assumed the above when I could build both the buildings I gave as example after research but without policy, however I went through the whole file and it's not exactly as described. The buildings that are missing a policy requirement as stated by help text are:

jeweller, bank, monastic school, monastery, university.

7. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Éa II, v7 (breaks saves)
    • Fixed bug preventing Slave Breeding Pens from countering unhappiness growth penalties
    • Added help text for Hunters and Fishing/Whaling Boats to explain new remote improvements mechanic
    • Added all policy finisher effects (these convert 1/3 of culture to some yield or unit xp)
    • Fixed farms so they can be built by lakes or (for grassland only) flat non-freshwater
    • Fixed farms & mines so only pantheistic can build without clearing forest, jungle, marsh
    • Fixes to game init after reload (some added city yields could accumulate improperly with each reload)
    • Fixed city screen UI to properly show Mana or Divine Favor instead of Faith

Sorry for the breaks saves for such a small update. Was necessary to fix a yield accumulation bug.

8. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

great Pazyryk keep them coming and don't worry about save games (it's alpha after all). Btw with v6 I did not get hangs up to turn 172 (never got that far in v5). Did you get the farms to work with fresh water on plains but not on other terrains?

9. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

I've moved all of these to a tech requirement instead of policy intentionally (perhaps forgot to include in changelog). Policies affect yield for these buildings, but are not prereq.

I updated policy help text, but not the building help (I forgot that the policy req was indicated there). I'll fix up the building help text and post here.

I suspect that you can build on desert and tundra (and even snow?) with fresh water now, though I haven't tested this. Not what I wanted but I can live with it. The xml tags are a confusing for this (so it's been a lot of trial and error) and may not allow me to do exactly what I want.

10. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

I've attached a hotfix for the help text file. Fixes help for jeweler, bank, monastic school, monastery, university and port.

Just extract in you MODS folder.

As I said above, I moved all of these to tech-only prereq, but then modified by policy. So you have:
    Bank (requires Coinage) +10%g, +15%g w/ Mercantilism
    University (requires Logic) +10%g, +15%g w/ Academic Tradition
    and so on...

The only one that I have mixed feelings about is the Jeweler. It's a building that gives a luxury. So putting it under Currency means that pretty much every civ will have it (though it does require one of several possible nearby resources too). I might give that one a dual req of Currency and Folkart policy. (I'm trying to get most of the buildings into the tech tree somewhere -- or at least the "basic" ones like banks and universities.)

11. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Phase 2 has come far enough that I thought I would share my To Do list and give you a phase 3 preview.

Éa II, The Ageless and the Divine
    • Mercenary system
    • City State traits
    • Fill in a few empty or nearly empty techs & policies: Architecture, Tradition & Commerce openers
    • Resource distribution: make horses & copper common and other strategics rare. Get Naphtha added to the map (not in AssignStartingPlots.lua yet).
    • Help & Pedia texts: still very many missing
    • Some rudimentary balancing: only very rough pass needed before victory conditions added
    • Add back some AI handicap bonuses so King ~ King, Emperer ~ Emperor, etc.
    • AI. Need a good assessment of what it is doing and why it still seems a little gimped. Could be: 1) lack of handicap bonuses so not really an AI issue, 2) poor or not finished mod AI, 3) mod AI bug(s), 4) base AI doing something not expected.
    • Make mod code bug-free and stable. There is still at least one save/load inconsistency (double policy advancement if your timing is right), some UI instabilities when cycling GPs, and probably other problems I don't know about.

Éa III, Sword and Sorcery
    The broad objective here is get the five victory conditions working and balanced and (just as important) fun and engaging. I guess I'll call the mod "beta" toward the end of this phase when we have a full and functioning game.
    • Conquest. Mostly a balance effort here, but some new content. Get unit strengths/costs right and make sure city conquest has the proper difficulty. Test and think about current unit lineup: major changes are possible if there is good reason for it. Add remaining conquest mechanisms (e.g., chance of tech capture).
    • Subduer & Restorer. Develop the Ag v. Pan conflict and make sure it is interesting and balanced. This is one of the two main "axis" in the mod, with Ag civs trying to develop and subdue the land and Pan civs doing the opposite (using forests, jungles, animals, etc in a proxy war against Ag). To do this will require many new Druid spells and new ways to counter them, both magical and non-magical.
    • Destroyer & Protector. The other "axis" that leads to utter destruction or a block against that destruction. Destroyer will involve a very focused research path with about 6 new techs branching off from Maleficium (in combination with Thaumaturgy). Lots of new evil spells, rituals, new subclasses (Witches, Necromancers, etc), phylacteries and other things that allow player to burn through very large amounts of mana. It should be possible to pursue Destroyer with either a strong religious focus (centering on Aŋra) or a pure arcane focus (ignoring religion and Theism policy branch altogether and going for the new Arcana policy branch). The counter to this, Protector, is meant to be even more flexible. You can do it as an Azzandara follower, as a Pantheistic civ, as a very arcane-focused non religious civ (the Arcana policy branch is basically neutral and can be used for good or evil; there will also be a Wizard subclass), or as a totally non-religious, non-magical civ.

I'd still love to see a unit artist join the team here. Don't really even need new units so much as conversion from Civ4 -> 5. I can do all of phase 3 (more or less) without it. But it would be a whole lot richer if we could have some new units to go along with all the nature and evil: treants, animals, demons, skeletons, zombies and whatnot. Heldeofol are still on hold until we have (at least) orc units. I'm afraid that until we have some actual fantasy units on the map, the mod will continue to feel somewhat abstract and not much like a true fantasy setting.

12. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

The rest of the plan for phase 2 looks ok to me but I would put City States as top priority. I read that you think they are too important in Vanilla, but that's exactly a reason to prioritize your revision of the feature, as passing from an important feature to an almost empty one is quite a shock in terms of gameplay balance.

About v7, a few notes:
    - personally I don't like that you moved the free warrior with Militarism to "once you adopt a second policy in the branch". You can put this bonus once you adopt a second policy, but then you should move another bonus to when you adopt the first policy, because as it is now it doesn't make much sense.
    - once I adopted Slavery (Man, Parakhora) I got the tech domestication and a slave for free. Is this intended?
    - you can farm tundra (don't know about ice yet). Maybe you could try a CASE (terrain_plains) statement in the update query? Also I'm not sure but RequiresFlatlandsOrFreshWater = 1 probably means you can farm without fresh water if it's flatlands. Edit: nope, you can farm plains only with fresh water.
    - farm2 has no graphics.
    - Parakhora civ special is: "free Watermill or Windmill in every city". However this seems to happen only on existing cities. A bit too weak considering it will most likely kick in when the civ has only 1 city.

13. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

They are still cities that can be captured. ;) But seriously, the CS traits will be added soon.

The GP shift was necessary because you can't have GPs before your civ is named, and you are now likely to open a policy branch before that happens. It's not (yet) reflected in the help text, but you won't even get the GP with that 2nd policy until you get a civ name (you still get the free GP, just delayed until naming). I did leave some of the openers empty after the shift, which I'll have to fix.

The free slave is intentional (and in the help text I believe). Free Domestication is certainly not. Actually, I can guess already (without access to the mod) what the problem is here. Domestication is ID=0 in the database. The mod code is trying to give you a free "hidden" tech (TECH_SLAVERY) but is supplying a nil in place of a valid techID, which the dll interprets as ID=0. I'll have a hotfix for this soon.

This is very similar to the old workboat/GP bug. Workboats were the ID=0 unit so that's what you saw whenever the mod tried to init a unit with the unitID field being nil. (It's good to know ID=0 items in all tables when troubleshooting.)

It's weird: RequiresFlatlandsOrFreshWater = 1 allows any freshwater plot to be farmed, but not any flatlands to be farmed. It has to be in the Terrain_Allows (or something like that) table for the latter. So I have the flat part working (grassland only) but I can't figure out any way to restrict the freshwater part.

14. MrL567

MrL567 Warlord

Really loving the idea of the new arcane policy and tech line, will add more variaty to the game and likely add a few more names to civs. Would the line include more arcane units or just wizard GP upgrades?

15. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Hotfix b attached (includes hotfix a). "Extract Here" inside your MODS folder. This one fixes the problem where you get free Domestication tech when opening Slavery branch.

It was a case of team:SetHasTech(nil, true) as I predicted above. Damn I'm good at this! (too bad I don't get paid :crazyeye:)

Keep the bug reports coming (or repeat if you think I missed one). Some I can fix very quickly.

16. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Definitely, when I can get a unit artist on board...

17. Lplate

Lplate Esus (Allegedly)

I somehow missed the start of this thread back in December and thought that work on Ea had stopped. It was great to discover how mistaken I was.:goodjob:

Downloaded and tried a couple of games, (pantheistic) Sophronia and Cruithni. Both were enjoyable games I'll start posting lua logs later.

Ys was first civ founded in both games ~ turn 21. Ab and Fir bolg were founded in both games. There was a mix of the others.

Cultural expansion claimed fish tiles on the coast beside my cities. Is this working as planned. I liked the way the new fishing boats and hunters work - particularly for the Cruithni.

I could build the Laboratory without any of the specified resources close to that particular city. Blasting powder was available within my territory though. Is that the way it should be?

Windmills could be built, even though my city was completely immersed in forests. Shouldn't forests/jungles limit their availability?

I had 3 sages as Cruithni. I found I didn't do any of the tomes as they didn't seem like a worthwhile investment. Even for techs where a tome would have helped, it would have come too late and using the sage to research seemed to make much more sense. They either need more of a % boost for their specific techs or else a shorter duration. I think a shorter duration would be the better option. In 25 turns, a tribe could have already finished more than 1 of the tech researches supported by a tome.

If I remember right, settling the general just gave an xp bonus to built troops. This bonus was slightly less than what he could give by training them. I think settling of the generals would be more useful (encouraged), if rather than xp, they gave an ongoing hammer bonus to unit construction.

The Sidhe (Cruithni) seemed to be a bit of a GP power house compared to the Human (Sophronicus). I don't know if you're doing it already but I'd suggest that the rate of xp gain for Sidhe GP should be slower than that for Human GP.

Neither start looked particularly appealing for going Agrarian but I'll look into trying that the next time I play.

---

Is there a preferred/recommended set up for play tests?
    I was on continents and in both games had just a single peace-loving neighbouring tribe.

18. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Thanks Lplate!

The windmill in forest/jungle sounds like a bug. I'll fix that. Laboratory is not -- it has a good bonus separate from resources and should be available to all cities with the tech (contrary to the manual).

Ys seems to be an "always occurring" civ now. I'll try lowering the frequency with a simple lowering of AI flavors for Library (so that is less often the first build for Sidhe). It will still be an early civ when it occurs, but won't always be there if most Sidhe build something else first. I'm not sure what the next most common civ names are -- maybe Fir Bolg and Cruithni which are driven by resources near starting plot. I'm don't have the sense right now that they are too common. (Some others may be too rare though.)

For sea ownership, I had to compromise a little based on what the dll is determined to do. I was able to prevent culture border expansion to water plots except in the case of a sea resource immediately adjacent to your city. Borders will expand onto this plot no matter what I do with xml tags. So I relented and allowed you to acquire these plots on settling the city. It's a good thing I think because you need some workable food plot when you settle, and there is a chance that only sea resources are available. I still have a little work to do here, like removing these plots from the "buy plot" UI (for human) and making sure that the AI won't buy a sea plot for 160000g (it could happen).

I agree that the Warrior bonuses for Take Residence (and Leader) are uninspiring. I'll take a look at that. On a related note, I'm not sure that the %yield bonus for all other GP's Take Residence ever beats the direct yield actions (Build, Trade, etc.). They are supposed to be better at least in a large high-yield city, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I think you will see that Tomes are worthwhile in the long term. They provide a % boost when working on specific techs, and this % directly counters Knowledge Maintenance. It could be the difference between 100% KM and 80% KM when you are fairly advanced in techs. Yes, science points from the Research action are better early on, but the Tome might get taken by another civ if you don't get started on it. So it's a case of sacrifice science now for greater potential later.

Passive xp for GPs is a function of age. IIRC, you have a percent chance of xp gain per turn that is 100 - age with a minimum of 20%. So Sidhe (or any other ageless individuals) do accumulate passive xp forever, but at a reduced rate. In any case, they are supposed to become uber-powerful. The question is whether the Sidhe growth disadvantage is a sufficient counter-balance to this. (Sidhe have another minor disadvantage which is that they are 1/2 as common as civs of Man, so they always have a racial diplo penalty with more civs.)

19. Lplate

Lplate Esus (Allegedly)

Just so you know, I did get to make my Queen resident in the Cruithni capital. Population was only about 7-8 but it had a suite of research buildings and 2 other sages doing research. Her promotions had been focused on Leadership and even so it was well into the game before it was worth making her resident instead of just researching. Promotions for the other Sidhe sages were focussed on improving their researching. For a newly born human sage, where there are well developed cities already in place, focussing on the leadership promotions and becoming resident could make sense from when they turn up.

Knowledge limitations hadn't stopped my civilizations before the games ended so the advantage of the tomes hasn't been felt yet.

---

Attached is the lua log from the Sophronia game. Full log was over 6 MB, so I deleted a lot of the early bits. I hope whats left is of some use to you. The game stopped due to an error, can't remember what I was doing at the time.

20. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Found bug from Lplate's Lua log. Error when Hippus settles its 2nd city. Hippus is the only civ (right now) that has its own city name list, and I had a missing "local player = Players[iPlayer]" in that code (right after line 999 in EaCities.lua if anyone wants to manually fix).

Fixed in attached hotfix c (includes earlier hotfixes). "Extract Here" inside your MODS folder.

@Lplate: patch and reload from 1 or 2 turns earlier...