Éa, The Ageless and the Divine (phase 2, alpha)

I think I found a fix for Firefox. I upped its Cache in options to 900mb. Which is a bit ridiculous, but it appears to be working. I'm at 645mbs downloaded so far and it hasn't stopped like before. So yay. That might be the Firefox fix.

Just wanted to let you know that that worked. Downloaded and loaded. For those using Firefox, go to Options. Advanced. Network tab. Check the box for Override automatic cache thingy. And type in like 950mb or some such. Not sure if doing the same in IE will work or how to do it, but I'm sure its there.

Believe me... I've looked at a lot of sites to find one that will work (and is free). Mediafire has a 200 Mb file size limit on their free account (so I'd have to break it into 5 parts), and even their pay accounts have download traffic limits that could be a problem (if the mod gets popular).
Did you consider DropBox or other similar cloud storage? Not sure if there is a limit on file size/bandwidth but a free DB account can hold 2GB.
There's also BitTorrent as an alternative, but some ISP block it because it's used by pirates. No consideration for all the legitimate uses :mad:
A big and popular (i hope it will become popular) mod is doomed to encounter hosting issues sooner or later. :sad:

EDIT : i had a look at several cloud services. DropBox doesn't say how big a file can be, box.com is only 250 mb for their free account. However it looks like there is (virtually) no limit for file size on ubuntu one (and now it has a windows client too)
https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/what-is-the-largest-size-file-i-can-sync-with-ubuntu-one/
Their free plan is 5 GB and if you sign up using this link, we should both get an additional 500 MB. BTW everyone can use this like, i can get up to 40*500 MB ;)
https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2872399/
From what i've read, it's also possible to use FTP access, but i havn't tested it yet. This started only for ubuntu Linux users, but it looks like it has grown into a nice cloud storage option.

If you can't download the Media Pack, it's probably due to some limitation of your browser:
Just wanted to let you know that that worked. Downloaded and loaded. For those using Firefox, go to Options. Advanced. Network tab. Check the box for Override automatic cache thingy. And type in like 950mb or some such. Not sure if doing the same in IE will work or how to do it, but I'm sure its there.
If that doesn't work, then you will have to download in 3 parts:

part 1
part 2
part 3

Unfortunately, I believe Hotfile has a limit of 1 download per hour (or something like that) so it is going to take a while this way.

Once you have all 3 parts, move them to your MODS folder and "Extract Here" for each one. Order doesn't matter. The complete Ea Media Pack (v 2) should be 987 MB with 261 files.

Btw, I will be off-line from Friday until the 18th (in a place where the internet is . . . sparse). I'll try to fix any bugs posted in the next 20 hrs if they are easy. Otherwise they will have to wait a week.

I just want to say that I downloaded your mod last night, and so far its great! I managed to play 100 turns as Man then the game crashed while processing the turn for a Sidth civ. I guess its because I used the Advance Setup without deleting the "User Settings" in the Config.ini file.

One question regarding this last detail. Is the mod (or any mods for that matter) able the handle Advanced Setup without breaking/corrupting a save? I like playing a standard size map with above average number of civs and city-states.

Regarding the mod itself:

I love what you have done with the dynamic civs, and the start speed; it reminds me of Caveman2Cosmos. Sure the start is slow but it gives you the feeling of a fledgeling civ in a hard fantasy world.

You talk in your maual and thread that city placement is different from Civ4 "no overlaping cities phylosophy". Could you show us an example (with a screenshot) of city placement in your mod to get a feel of the possibilities?

The only concern I have is regarding the immortal Sidth, as their GP don't die of old age. Wouldn't they have a clear advantage over the mortal races of hoarding GP and getting them to very advanced levels? As a player I could take the odds against a Sidth AI but I'm worried about other mortal AI getting stomped.

Overall: keep the good work! I think this is an amazing mod that tries to deliver very different mechanics, which I thought could not be done in Civ V.

I just want to say that I downloaded your mod last night, and so far its great! I managed to play 100 turns as Man then the game crashed while processing the turn for a Sidth civ. I guess its because I used the Advance Setup without deleting the "User Settings" in the Config.ini file.

One question regarding this last detail. Is the mod (or any mods for that matter) able the handle Advanced Setup without breaking/corrupting a save? I like playing a standard size map with above average number of civs and city-states.
I don't understand the bug yet. I think it is likely to be the mod's fault, but I don't know what's doing it. Keep in mind that you can use Advanced Setup. You just need to delete that part of config.ini before you restart Civ5 again to play the mod (and only if you are starting a new game I think). The Crash To Desktop only happens while reloading a game. Try reloading on turn 3 or so...if it works then you should be good to go from then on. I can't tell from your post if that's what finished your game or not.

Regarding the mod itself:

I love what you have done with the dynamic civs, and the start speed; it reminds me of Caveman2Cosmos. Sure the start is slow but it gives you the feeling of a fledgeling civ in a hard fantasy world.
I've gotten to play the first 40 turns many times during development. So the pacing for that is about what I want. After that, I haven't done any balancing or pacing yet, and in fact I don't really know what happens at all because I've never played it past about turn 60. I'll get to that when all phase 2 features are added and working.

You talk in your maual and thread that city placement is different from Civ4 "no overlaping cities phylosophy". Could you show us an example (with a screenshot) of city placement in your mod to get a feel of the possibilities?
Not from the mod, but my intention is something like this (taken from the Rhye's and Fall thread):
Spoiler :
That would be in a highly "civilized area". Then you would have large expanses of desert or forest or jungle with little or no civilization at all. As it happens, that's a much more "realistic" distribution of cities than in base Civ5. Of course, I don't care about realism here -- but I think it is also a more interesting distribution. It makes it seem like geography matters and that the world is a bigger place. The very uniform distribution you see in Civ4 (and in Civ5 since most players think they are still playing Civ4 with radius 3 rather than 2) looks artificial to me and uninteresting. Look at how MadDjinn places his cities in his videos -- he's not playing Civ4 anymore. Of course, I want to allow for giant cities that spread over the whole 30 plot area, but these should be the exception and not the rule, specifically, only in an Ag-focused civ in an ideal area, meaning flatland with lots of river (if my calculations are right, under that circumstance you will be able to grow that giant city more easily then in base).

This is all intention of course. Lot's of work to do to realize that intention.

The only concern I have is regarding the immortal Sidth, as their GP don't die of old age. Wouldn't they have a clear advantage over the mortal races of hoarding GP and getting them to very advanced levels? As a player I could take the odds against a Sidth AI but I'm worried about other mortal AI getting stomped.
I'm taking a FFH-inspired approach to balancing, which is that it is balanced when everyone is equally overpowered in a different way. OK, but seriously, the idea is to balance a civ (or a race) as a whole, rather than balancing every civ's UB against every other civ's UB, and every civ's trait against every other civ's trait, and so on. Of course, it's much harder to balance this way and probably not even possible to do it with much precision, but I'll take the danger of imbalance over blandness any day.

I hate to date myself, but when I used to play AD&D (ed. 1), a level 9 Magic User was like a god next to a level 9 Fighter. And a Fighter of any level would kick butt on a Rogue of the same level. However, this would be considered "bad balance" today. None of us minded much at the time, and Rogue was still my favorite class. So to balance, you give the Fighter "Epic Cleavage of Thunder" or somesuch to match the Magic User and then you perfectly calibrate the Rogue's DpS to counter the Fighters Armor so that everyone is perfectly matched for PvP or whatever it is that you call it. Bland, bland, bland. Also... Get off my lawn!!! (Sorry, bad joke about being old.)

Back to the point, Man should be able to outgrow Sidhe (and Heldeofol will be able to mass swarm either). There is already a pretty big city growth difference for Man and Sidhe (iirc, 50% vs 35% food after growth) but I still need to add higher settler cost for Sidhe. At some level these differences will balance out the ageless advantage.

Overall: keep the good work! I think this is an amazing mod that tries to deliver very different mechanics, which I thought could not be done in Civ V.
It really is amazing what is possible for Civ5 modding (without even getting into the DLL yet). It's just taken me 2 yrs to understand it at this level.

Apparently the ToC links (or possibly all links) in the Manual tries to take you back to the Google Doc that I used to create the PDF. So now I just got a request to share that doc. So Google basically embedded my account all over the pdf without asking me. So not only did they break the links, they totally violated any sort of privacy one might expect. No big deal in this case, but it still seems like a monumental screw up ... and from Google?

That might be the end of Google Docs for me. And I had not even bothered to get Microsoft Office with my new computer. Maybe I should have.

OK, I'm going off line now. Back on the 18th...

Phase 2 completion discussion:

OK, my goal now is to try very very hard to resist adding new stuff that isn't essential for phase 2. Here's my current priority list:
  1. Complete missing policy/tech effects. Off the top of my head: Faerie Lore, Through the Veil, Mercenaries, ability to sell/render slaves with Slave Trade and Slave Castes. Probably some others.
  2. Add plague/disease system (countered by Aqueducts, Public Baths, Sewers, etc.). This will only be relevant for "high growth" civilizations (i.e., Agrarian) or those that happen to by nearby.
  3. Add a few missing "civ naming" effects. Plus: I need to add some kind of UI so the player knows that something actually happened with naming (I was thinking of providing civ bonus effects when the player mouseovers their civ name in the diplo list).
  4. Get at least a couple victory conditions working (see below).
  5. Balance and pacing...
Nothing in this list is too terribly hard, but there is a lot of work to do. Let me know if you think there is some major gap that I'm missing.

On Victory Conditions: I've rethought this a little and decided to add two additional conditions. I'll go ahead and name 5 of these here, with the goal of getting 3 working in phase 2 and the other 2 working in phase 3. Two more are planned but will be revealed much later (like phase 5 or 6).
  • Conqueror Conquer or raze all major civilization cities. All city states must be conquered, razed or allied.
  • Subduer Hold most of the land and most of the world's population while removing or weakening Éa’s Living Terrain within your borders (see point system below).
  • Restorer Be the primary contributor to the worldwide dominance of Éa’s Living Terrain. Average plot strength for all land (owned and unowned) must be > 3.
  • Destroyer Destroy Éa by the practice of Sorcery, consuming the Sum of all Mana.
  • Protector Protect Éa from the menace of Sorcery: destroy all sorcerers, phylacteries, and other artifacts associated with the practice. Civilizations that know Maleficium must be destroyed or compelled to renounce it.
For Destroyer and Protector, the interface will be added with the rest (in phase 2), but won't be truly achievable in phase 2. Well... the mechanics will be there for Destroyer (i.e., fallen civs already burn mana from Éa's total) but there is no way to get your sorcerers powerful enough to consume much mana. So, unless you do this, you won't be able to destroy the world until some phase 3 mechanics are added. Protector will be disabled until Sorcery is better developed and I have added some mechanics to make it challenging.

Conqueror and Subduer are pretty straightforward and can be achieved with or without religion or magic. Subduer is obviously a strong Ag play, but you will need to counter Druid activity (some of their spells are yet to be added) by some combination of might, magic and/or a lot of workers/slaves. Restorer is obviously a Pantheistic-only victory condition (though not the only victory open for these civs); I need to add some spells and counter-spells to make Restorer properly doable and challenging, but you can probably imagine how this works if you have played with the existing Druid spells.

Here is the interface info that will appear in the Victory Screen:

Conqueror
Victory is earned by the civilization that conquers all other major civilizations and has conquered, razed or allied all city states.
Your Owned Cities: ##
Your Conquered Cities: ##
Your City State Allies: ##
First Conqueror: <civ name>, ## of ### total cities (must be you with all cities for victory)
Second Conqueror: <civ name>, ## cities
Third Conqueror: <civ name>, ## cities

Subduer
Victory is earned by some combination of large population, land ownership and subduing of Éa's Living Terrain. Need 200 points to win:
100 points possible for population (1 pt for each 1% share of world population)
100 points possible for land owned (1 pt for each 1% of total land plots owned)
100 points possible for subduing of Living Terrain (calculated from average terrain strength in your borders once you own >100 plots; 1pt for each 0.01 less than 1)
Your Share of World Population: ##% (## pts)
Land Owned by You: ##% (## pts)
Average Living Terrain Strength within Your Borders: #.## (## pts)
First Subduer: <civ name>, ## pts (must be you with 200 pts for victory)
Second Subduer: <civ name>, ## pts
Third Subduer: <civ name>, ## pts

Restorer
Average Living Terrain Strength Worldwide: #.## (must be > 3 for victory)
First Restorer: <civ name>, ##% (must be you for victory)
Second Restorer: <civ name>, ##%
Third Restorer: <civ name>, ##%

Destroyer
Sum of All Mana: ######### (must be 0 for victory)
First Mana Consumer: <civ name>, ### (must be you for victory)
Second Mana Consumer: <civ name>, ###
Third Mana Consumer: <civ name>, ###

Protector
Number of Civilizations that Know Maleficium: # (must be 0 for victory)
Number of Sorcerers: # (must be 0 for victory)
Number of Phylacteries: # (must be 0 for victory)
Number of other Evil Artifacts: # (must be 0 for victory)
First Protector: <civ name>, ##% (must be you for victory)
Second Protector: <civ name>, ##%
Third Protector: <civ name>, ##%

Thanks for this mod.
Its still in alpha phase but nonetheless very promising : you've got long term plans, and what's already in works rather well. I believe it's going to be a mod with its own flavour.

However I've noticed a problem :
The game goes into an infinite loop (I've noticed it on different games, somewhere between turn 100 and turn 150). You'll find the LUA log and a saved game as an attachment. To reproduce, you do not need a specific action, just continue the saved game for a few more turns.
It seems to me that the probleme lies in EaAICivs.lua, function AIPickPolicy. It's sometimes called to add a generic plan when it already has it, and then cannot go out.
I've fixed the lua file like this (my modifications marked with --VNZ) to have an exit (disclaimer: I've successfully fixed the loop. I don't know much about the logic of the mod, so I've probably broken something else...):
Spoiler :

Code:
function AIPickPolicy(iPlayer)	--called from EaPolicies.lua
	print("Running AIpickPolicy", iPlayer)
	DebugPrintAICivInfo(iPlayer)
	local player = Players[iPlayer]
	local eaPlayer = gPlayers[iPlayer]
	if not eaPlayer.EaTraitIDsByTier[1] then
		ResetTargetName(iPlayer, true)	--probably we can get a name now, so reassess
	end
	local civPlans = eaPlayer.aiCivPlans
	local numPlans = #civPlans
	local planNumber = 1
	player:ChangeNumFreePolicies(1)		--makes player:Can functions work????????????????????????????????????????????????????
	while true do
		if numPlans < planNumber then
			AddFocusPlan(iPlayer)
		end
		local planID = civPlans[planNumber]
		local policies = policiesByPlan[planID]
		if policies then
			for i = 1, #policies do
				local policyID = policies[i]
				if not player:HasPolicy(policyID) then
					--try this policy and all its prereqs before we move on to next policy in plan
					local j = 0
					while policyID do
						if not player:HasPolicy(policyID) then
							local branchIDForOpener = openerPolicyBranch[policyID]	--nil if not an opener
							if branchIDForOpener then
								if player:CanUnlockPolicyBranch(branchIDForOpener) then
									print("Opening policy branch ", GameInfo.PolicyBranchTypes[branchIDForOpener].Type)
									player:ChangeNumFreePolicies(-1)
									player:SetPolicyBranchUnlocked(branchIDForOpener, true)
									player:SetHasPolicy(policyID, true)
									OnPlayerAdoptPolicyBranch(iPlayer, branchIDForOpener)
									return
								end
							else
								if player:CanAdoptPolicy(policyID) then
									print("Adopting policy ", GameInfo.Policies[policyID].Type)
									player:ChangeNumFreePolicies(-1)
									player:SetHasPolicy(policyID, true)
									OnPlayerAdoptPolicy(iPlayer, policyID)
									return
								end
							end
						end
						j = j + 1
						policyID = policyPrereqs[j]
					end
				end
			end
		end
--VNZ  out of loop : begin :
		if numPlans < planNumber then									--VNZ
			print("!!!! VNZ out of AIPickPolicy loop")					--VNZ
			print("!!!! iPlayer , planNumber" , iPlayer , planNumber)	--VNZ
			return														--VNZ
		end																--VNZ
--VNZ out of loop : end : 
		planNumber = planNumber + 1
	end
end
Also, what kind of feedback do you expect from us now?
none?
anything that seems different from the manual?
some generic pacing or balance ideas?
How many turns should we play?
etc.

Thanks for this mod.
Its still in alpha phase but nonetheless very promising : you've got long term plans, and what's already in works rather well. I believe it's going to be a mod with its own flavour.

However I've noticed a problem :
The game goes into an infinite loop ...
Thanks for the report. You pretty much found the problem. There are two things that are supposed to make this not happen:
  1. The "generic plan" will, ideally, never be picked. It's the plan of last resort for an AI if I haven't created enough potential plans for that civ (which is the case right now).
  2. The AI only adds a plan when it completes all techs or policies in its existing plans. The generic plan is supposed to be impossible to complete (either techs or policies). This is not the case, apparently. Or perhaps something else has gone wrong in your game. I'll download and investigate.
Also, what kind of feedback do you expect from us now?
none?
anything that seems different from the manual?
some generic pacing or balance ideas?
How many turns should we play?
etc.
All of the above of course. General statements of appreciation are very welcome too. It helps with motivation on long projects like this...

Also, I may have given the wrong impression that the entire course of the mod (the phases) are entirely mapped out in fine detail -- so player input doesn't matter. That's not the case. What I have are a list of 12 named phases (which have been reordered a few times) and about 30 pages of ideas. Some are very detailed but most are pretty vague. Perhaps I'm inhibiting discussion by keeping these secret. I may start a discussion for phase 3 ... I was holding off on that because I didn't think phase 2 was "finished" enough (see post above for what that means).

I was hoping there would be more comment and suggestions regarding spells. I know there are no fancy graphics yet, and the number of spells is small, but they cover a variety of different game mechanics. If you haven't guessed already, I will be developing the "arcane" side a lot more in phase 3. There will be a variety of "pure" Thaumaturge subclasses including Wizards, Necromancers and others (Druid is the only subclass that is dual class Devout/Thaumaturge). The systems (including AI) are already there, which is 95% of the effort: it's relatively less effort to add new spells now. I have several planned that are needed to make the game work (victory conditions, etc), but it's an open-ended system with no limit on the number of possible spells. Please make suggestions in this area.

General statement:

If I didn't have a teaching degree to study for, I would be downloading and testing the hell out of this. Looks like a brilliant potential successor to FFH (which I played a hell of a lot of!)

I check your threads every few days to see whats going on. Got this ear marked for my R&R come June.

Just a small update: I've uploaded a new manual that has working internal links. Amazingly, the Google Docs "save as pdf" function still produces broken links (something is going very wrong with this company) but I found a workaround that isn't too hard. There are no other changes of much consequence, though I did rewrite the Source Material section a little (whole page paragraphs = bad).

I noticed some bugs during a few games. I haven't got any saves at hand, but i can try to reproduce if needed.
  1. couldn't choose a movement upgrade for rangers (only the combat IV)
  2. policies aren't locked if the technology isn't researched (ie: can open the commerce policy branch without the currency tech)
  3. pantheism benefits don't match the manual. Seems to be 2f2p for any ressource (checked for wheat and jade) when opening the branch (manual predicts 1f1p). Not sure about other policies downwards the tree.
  4. food production not calculated properly in some specific case: wheat near river, with farm, granary, agrarianism policy opener and irrigation tech gives 5f (expected 3+3+2+1+1=10f) Another wheat ressource on the same city, but without access to water (so the irrigation tech doesn't apply here) displays correctly 9f
  5. No slash and burn for jungle (I cannot find the reference in the manual, but I think it should unlock with bronze w.)

Also from my notes, but probably working as intended:
  6. elephant resource need a camp (hunting tech) for the food/production benefit, and then the mounted elephant tech to provide the specific ressource (same for wines with calendar and zymurgy).
  7. "zymurgy" sounds very technical to me. What about renaming as "(alcoholic) fermentation" ?
  8. Bronze working is providing a lot (fight against wildlands + fight against other civ + entry gate towards the 'industrial revolution' technologies): it opens the metal weapons tech line, allows to chop down forest (access to timber) and burn down jungle, prerequisite for some high level tech (ie machinery), also needed for production buidings (forge). What about moving some of these benefits to another tech ?
  9. forest/jungle in combination with barbarians are quite strong against non-pantheistic civ in early game (while pantheistic won't suffer much if they ignore them for a while). The early civ needs a few workers, and a few warriors to protect the workers. Suggestion: add the slash and burn ability to the warrior (only, not to the full line), or add a new cheap and expendable worker-like unit with only slash and burn; or alternatively find a way to make them more dangerous for a pantheistic civ.

Thanks for the detailed comments!

I noticed some bugs during a few games. I haven't got any saves at hand, but i can try to reproduce if needed.
[*]couldn't choose a movement upgrade for rangers (only the combat IV)
[*]policies aren't locked if the technology isn't researched (ie: can open the commerce policy branch without the currency tech)
Incomplete features. Addressing these is my top priority for the next few weeks.
[*]pantheism benefits don't match the manual. Seems to be 2f2p for any ressource (checked for wheat and jade) when opening the branch (manual predicts 1f1p). Not sure about other policies downwards the tree.
I think it's currently 1f1p for the policy branch and 1f1p for the religion (Weave of Éa or any of its cults), although the manual seems to be wrong on the 2nd point. The Weave of Éa arises spontaneously in cities of Pantheistic civs, but it is still possible to have cities that don't follow it (yet) or were converted to a theistic religion by pressure or active proselytizing.
[*]food production not calculated properly in some specific case: wheat near river, with farm, granary, agrarianism policy opener and irrigation tech gives 5f (expected 3+3+2+1+1=10f) Another wheat ressource on the same city, but without access to water (so the irrigation tech doesn't apply here) displays correctly 9f
bug. I'll try to find and fix it.
[*]No slash and burn for jungle (I cannot find the reference in the manual, but I think it should unlock with bronze w.)
It's been discussed but I haven't gotten it into the game yet.

Also from my notes, but probably working as intended:
[*]elephant resource need a camp (hunting tech) for the food/production benefit, and then the mounted elephant tech to provide the specific ressource (same for wines with calendar and zymurgy).
The elephant situation is intended though perhaps confusing. The idea is you can capture them to eat with Hunting or you can capture them to train into military units (for trade) with Hunting and Mounted Elephants. Wine should be improvable by the Winery (or maybe its called the Vineyard) improvement which should not require calendar. I believe the help text still has the wrong info (requires calendar) but it's supposed to be improvable and tradeable with Zymurgy only.
[*]"zymurgy" sounds very technical to me. What about renaming as "(alcoholic) fermentation" ?
Was originally Fermentation, but Zymurgy is actually more precisely what I mean. It implies the whole craft of beer and wine making. That, and I like words with Z's and and excess of Y's.
[*]Bronze working is providing a lot (fight against wildlands + fight against other civ + entry gate towards the 'industrial revolution' technologies): it opens the metal weapons tech line, allows to chop down forest (access to timber) and burn down jungle, prerequisite for some high level tech (ie machinery), also needed for production buidings (forge). What about moving some of these benefits to another tech ?
It's needed for the infantry line and for the very high tier "mechanical" techs (Machinery and Steam Power) and certainly makes forest removal more productive (though you can slash-and-burn without it). But you don't need it even for a big builder push. You can get all the way to Architecture without it, using horses, elephants, archers and/or siege for defense/deterrence. Also, I intentionally made Workshop (available with the 2nd tier Mathematics) a possible substitute for the Forge, since it gives you that critical Smith slot too (Forge boosts melee production only; Workshop boosts Siege and buildings). Really, the "builder focus" follows from Masonry and Mathematics without need for the metal techs. The industrial/machinery direction you mention follows from the metal line combined with Mathematics/Physics. Industry is really inextricably tied up with warfare though. Your very best city conquest combo is infantry plus siege... but that is as intended.

However, my intention is that you can ignore this whole area and focus on animals (and maybe archery) and still put up a very good fight. Not sure if anyone has gotten to play with archers yet...they work more like G&K machine gunners than base archers. Neither these nor horses nor elephants are supposed to be great city takers.
[*]forest/jungle in combination with barbarians are quite strong against non-pantheistic civ in early game (while pantheistic won't suffer much if they ignore them for a while). The early civ needs a few workers, and a few warriors to protect the workers. Suggestion: add the slash and burn ability to the warrior (only, not to the full line), or add a new cheap and expendable worker-like unit with only slash and burn; or alternatively find a way to make them more dangerous for a pantheistic civ.
It's a tough slog but I wonder if anyone has really pushed an Ag focus yet? I'm not sure how hard it is, but my "math" says that they should be able to grow enormous cities relatively quickly (not sure how it is working in practice though). The idea is that this just simply isn't possible for Pantheistic civs. So, when all is working as intended, they should be VERY "dangerous for a pantheistic civ". The danger is that the Pantheistic civs will just be overwhelmed by the shear size (with all the production, gold and quick science advancement that follows) of nearby Ag civs.

Some game reports would be very useful to me. I can start thinking/working on balance and pacing while getting final features into phase 2. I also don't know how the AI is doing (keep in mind that the AI isn't getting all the handicap bonuses it should at >Prince difficulty). Basically:
  • What was your focus?
  • How many techs/policies by turn? (as much or as little as you happened to note)
  • Success or failure of AI civs?

Im having trouble downloading the Ea Media Pack v2 from ge.tt . I've started it several times but the download eventually stalls out about a quarter of the way through :sad:

Try this.

Militarism is spelled thusly.

:)

On Living Terrain, v6 will have 2 or 3 ways to deal with each kind for an Ag civ:

Forest
Slash-and-burn (no req)
Chop for production and 30 turns of timber (Bronze Working)
Sawmill* (Milling)

Jungle
Slash-and-burn (Bronze Working)
Chop for production and 30 turns of timber (Iron Working)
Sawmill* (Forestry)

Marsh
Drain (Masonry)
Farm* (Irrigation)

*Improving a living terrain effectively suppresses it. That is, the plot strength becomes 0 (important for the victory condition above). But strength will return to its previous value if the improvement becomes pillaged or is removed somehow.

Thanks. I got the Media Pack and was doing well for 150 turns or so, then got a freeze on ending the turn that was reproducible on loading autosave - maybe the same one encountered by Vinzz? I'll attach a zip of the logfiles, looks like the problem might be the following in lua.log
[17763.880] EaMain: !!!! Warning Found no plans for civ name, using generic nil
[17763.880] EaMain: AddFocusPlan 4

Up until the freeze I was doing well with a Sidhe civ that started next to a huge lake, so I chose Agrarianism and Irrigation to take advantage of it. Unless you start near rich Food resources you can easily get stuck in a growth->starvation->growth cycle.

I had allied with a Religious city state, but is it the case that all the Faith they give me isn't really useful for anything? I didn't found a religion yet, I wanted to choose Azzandarayasna, but it looks like Sidhe civs aren't allowed to found it. I do wish there was a bit more variety in the religions, maybe from bringing back a Pantheon feature to allow some more customization. Especially if some are closed off to certain races there's not many to choose from. I guess I can go with Pantheism - it goes against Agrarian strategy of chopping/development, but OTOH the Pure Waters cult could gimme an awesome bonus from building Floating Gardens on my mega Lake. There's also plenty of Incense & I got the Aldebaran plantation bonus, and am writing the Grain tome, so should be sitting pretty :king:

It matters a great deal where you start out but I like this as there should be plenty of replayability from all the different civ types.

As long as you don't mind spelling nitpicks, Granery should be changed to Granary :)

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    264.2 KB · Views: 158
Top Bottom