‘American South Asia Company’

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
Saturday, Jun 3, 2017 11:00 AM EDT
Erik Prince’s dark plan for Afghanistan: Military occupation for profit, not security
Blackwater founder Erik Prince has a vision for profiting off Afghanistan that President Trump might just love
Matthew Pulver

Lost in the cascade of stories of potential White House criminality and collusion with foreign governments is the Erik Prince affair. It is reported that Prince, the brother of controversial Education Secretary Betsy Devos who established his power in Washington with his mercenary army Blackwater during the Iraq war, met with Russian intermediaries in an obscure Indian Ocean archipelago to establish back-channel communication with Moscow, possibly in coordination with the efforts of Jared Kushner, who last week was reported to have sought a White House back channel to the Kremlin.

Bloomberg reports that during the presidential transition late last year “Prince was very much a presence, providing advice to Trump’s inner circle, including his top national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn.” While President-elect Trump, in reality show style, paraded administration applicants through the gilded front doors of of Trump Tower for the gauntlet of cameras, Prince “entered Trump Tower through the back,” reports Bloomberg.

Prince met at least several times with the Trump team, according to the multiply sourced reporting, including once on a train from New York to Washington, where Prince met with Peter Thiel associate Kevin Harrington, who would later join the National Security Council and be tasked with “strategic planning.” Prince is said to have advised Harrington, Flynn and others on the Trump transition team on the “restructuring of security agencies” and “a thorough rethink of costly defense programs.”

The account sounds innocuous enough as reported, but Prince’s recent appearance on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” sheds considerable light on what the series of furtive discussions likely entailed. The appearance might have been an effort to generate public support for what Prince advocated in private. The man who reinvented mercenary warfare described to Carlson a vision for a corporate military occupation apparatus that makes his infamous Blackwater look modest, despite its capturing of $1 billion in contracts during the Iraq war and occupation. Prince proposed nothing less than the revival of the British East India Company model of for-profit military occupation, wherein an armed corporation effectively governed most of India for the extraction of resources.

Prince explained to Carlson how the almost 16-year-old war and occupation of Afghanistan is premised on a faulty model. “We’ve fought for the last 15 years with the 1st Infantry Division model,” he says. “Now we should fight with an East India Company model, and do it much cheaper.”

“So you replace a military occupation with the ‘American South Asia Company’ or something like that?” asks Carlson.

“Something like that, sure,” Prince replies. “If you look back in history, the way the English operated India for 250 years, they had an army that was largely run by companies — and no English soldiers. So cheap, very low cost.”

rest of story can be read here.

I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with this idea. Afghanistan paying for it's own occupation and pacification. Considering that their number one exportable commodity is opium, they should do just fine! No need to be concerned about atrocities. The free market doesn't kill for profit.

When I opened this thread, I was wondering what obscure history had passed me by, or what weirdly ridiculous hypothetical we were going to discuss...

Remind me again, how uncomplicated and inexpensive was the British East India Company's conquest and occupation of India, and how good was it for the Indians?

It was inexpensive... For the British government. Not so much for the Indian people.

I don't think you could actually generate a large profit from Afghanistan.

No seaport, no railway infrastructure to speak of, and most Allied overland transport during the most recent war went via the always pleasant Pakistani Khyber pass IIRC. So how are you going to export stuff?

The agricultural prospects are rather limited, and there's also not a lot of resource extraction going on.

Wouldn't it be the American Central Asian Company?

Wasn't there a story about Afghanistan being rich in rare earths? Just like the African coltan warlords.

Afghanistan...the cyberpunk gateway we never expected.

I don't think you could actually generate a large profit from Afghanistan.

No seaport, no railway infrastructure to speak of, and most Allied overland transport during the most recent war went via the always pleasant Pakistani Khyber pass IIRC. So how are you going to export stuff?

The agricultural prospects are rather limited, and there's also not a lot of resource extraction going on.
Wouldn't it be the American Central Asian Company?
Wasn't there a story about Afghanistan being rich in rare earths? Just like the African coltan warlords.
I too, think this is the problematic side of this story

Quality thread contribution, m8. I r8 it 8 out of 8.

Afghanistan paying for it's own occupation and pacification.
The difference between what is given to post-colonial Africa as foreign aid and what they have to pay for the spiralling foreign debt they have incurred in order to try to undo the damage from colonialism amounts to about 2 dollars a person per year. In favour of Africa, of course, let's not be heartless. Then there's the thing about Africa exporting grain, meat, wood, oil and minerals and importing hi-tech products, machinery and luxury goods…

Of course, this is all alleged by Africans, so we might ask the opinion of someone unbiased, say, oil company executives. Or the US Secretary of State. Or both.

It's hard to make money mining and processing minerals when the locals have mastered putting huge bombs under all the roads.

It's hard to make money mining and processing minerals when the locals have mastered putting huge bombs under all the roads.

Especially in the rare earth market, where deposits are plentiful and the problem is not to find anything, but to get it out of the ground as cheap as possible. For that you need a good infrastructure which Afghanistan will not have for a long time, even if destruction of roads would stop right now.

It was inexpensive... For the British government. Not so much for the Indian people.
Except that after the wars and conquests of the 1750s and 1760s, the Great Bengal Famine, and the contractual payments the company had to pay to Britain, the company was tens of millions of pounds in debt. So to help them be more profitable, the British government created the Tea Act, which gave the company preferential treatment on selling tea in the colonies in North America, and then there was a famous tea party in Boston...

and then there was a famous tea party in Boston

Little known fact about the Boston tea party: The whole thing happened because the British sent us Earl Grey when we specifically asked for chamomile.

Little known fact about the Boston tea party: The whole thing happened because the British sent us Earl Grey when we specifically asked for chamomile.

Ironically, American-grown chamomile was substituted for the tons of British tea dumped into the Harbor.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated in 2006 that northern Afghanistan has an average 2.9 billion (bn) barrels (bbl) of crude oil, 15.7 trillion cubic feet (440 bn m3) of natural gas, and 562 million bbl of natural gas liquids.[156] In 2011, Afghanistan signed an oil exploration contract with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) for the development of three oil fields along the Amu Darya river in the north.[157]

The country has significant amounts of lithium, copper, gold, coal, iron ore, and other minerals.[111][112][158] The Khanashin carbonatite in Helmand Province contains 1,000,000 metric tons (1,100,000 short tons) of rare earth elements.[159] In 2007, a 30-year lease was granted for the Aynak copper mine to the China Metallurgical Groupfor $3 billion,[160] making it the biggest foreign investment and private business venture in Afghanistan's history.[161] The state-run Steel Authority of India won the mining rights to develop the huge Hajigak iron ore deposit in central Afghanistan.[162] Government officials estimate that 30% of the country's untapped mineral deposits are worth at least $1 trillion.[113] One official asserted that "this will become the backbone of the Afghan economy" and a Pentagon memo stated that Afghanistan could become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium".[163]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan#Mining

Oh yes, and opium. (11% of its current export earnings.)

I thought its economy was based on pomegranate farming, myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom