“I’m not going to educate you” - obnoxious or legit?

Are they sealion-ing?
Is that a bad faith act, or is someone (becoming) an active participant in the discussion? I said in my OP sincere so I would say that the caveat of someone trying to muddy the water doesn’t count toward it being an obnoxious comment.

Usually it’s much easier (and better for my mental health) to say it’s not my job and move on.
I think it’s entirely possible to do this without coming across as trying to conceal some information or establish yourself as greater-than-thou, so I’m not arguing the principle nor support the idea that someone is obligated to discuss anything.

If you're gonna try & show off how smart/right you are (which iirc is the purpose of Twitter) shouldn't you practice explaining why?

I guess you can just state your opinion and hope one of your 'teammates' can explain it for you.

This seems to be an issue w the internet age, people can just adopt hard-core beliefs they don't understand @ all & depend on online celebrities to remind them of/ explain why they should believe such things.

If you're gonna try & show off how smart/right you are (which iirc is the purpose of Twitter) shouldn't you practice explaining why?

I guess you can just state your opinion and hope one of your 'teammates' can explain it for you.

This seems to be an issue w the internet age, people can just adopt hard-core beliefs they don't understand @ all & depend on online celebrities to remind them of/ explain why they should believe such things.
This post is 160 characters longer than is allowed for a Tweet.

But thanks for demonstrating the difficulty in "explaining why" ;)

People seem to get around that w binge tweetstorms.

One can also start a blog. Twitter probably a good way to drive traffic to a blog actually

People seem to get around that w binge tweetstorms.

One can also start a blog. Twitter probably a good way to drive traffic to a blog actually
People can get around it, but the medium isn't suited for it. If you have more than one Tweet, people can respond to individual Tweets. There's no way to reply to a "thread" of Tweets - all interactions are with the singular. This is relevant to not wanting to answer questions upfront, because someone could just go down your list of Tweet and troll every single one of them.

Commonly I get told this is what you accept for being on a public platform. Which would be fair enough, except it also applies to people asking questions in the first place. You accept the risk that the person simply isn't going to care, and can loudly profess to not care at any point (even pre-emptively). If people accepted both, I wouldn't mind so much, but in my experience as someone who uses the hellsite (a term of resigned, uh, endearment on Twitter), people who profess the former also demand immunity to the latter.

This post is 160 characters longer than is allowed for a Tweet.

But thanks for demonstrating the difficulty in "explaining why" ;)

And thank you for demonstrating why I need to remain free of Twitter. :lol:

People can get around it, but the medium isn't suited for it. If you have more than one Tweet, people can respond to individual Tweets. There's no way to reply to a "thread" of Tweets - all interactions are with the singular. This is relevant to not wanting to answer questions upfront, because someone could just go down your list of Tweet and troll every single one of them.

Commonly I get told this is what you accept for being on a public platform. Which would be fair enough, except it also applies to people asking questions in the first place. You accept the risk that the person simply isn't going to care, and can loudly profess to not care at any point (even pre-emptively). If people accepted both, I wouldn't mind so much, but in my experience as someone who uses the hellsite (a term of resigned, uh, endearment on Twitter), people who profess the former also demand immunity to the latter.

You can turn your text into an image and post that. Or include the more normie link.

I do. For indie horror/game/art stuff :)
Twitter works with tags, mostly, and images. The brief text is supposed to be a pitch.
It works for images without a lot of text. We were talking about nuance, explaining stuff in detail and so on. The image compression alone is terrible and can ruin legibility.

Again, by design. I'm not saying that's a good thing :D

It works for images without a lot of text. We were talking about nuance, explaining stuff in detail and so on. The image compression alone is terrible and can ruin legibility.

Again, by design. I'm not saying that's a good thing :D

Yes, there are guides to help with image quality. Basically you need to use very large images to avoid compression (because Twitter doesn't present anything as it is, below a certain size).

Earlier Sunday I ran up against the Reddit character limit explaining to someone why they were wrong. I don’t know who is engaging strangers on conversations on topics they don’t want to discuss but I suppose you could find yourself in a large enough and unmoderated enough forum that your fame could draw questions best answered by some googling and blog articles.

In the topic of economics you won’t find it on your own, I have to tell you. There aren’t many of us who know so our democracy depends on our pugnacity, or hopefully, quality memes.

Unfortunately I am not smart enough to meme national finance so I write long form explanations to single digit audiences, who have the audacity and the Dunning in the Dunning-Kruger to reply to me /r/confidentlyincorrect

which is an irony I cannot prove to them.

Still, if I don’t try, the terrorists win.

Top Bottom