1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] “Jersey”colors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by LoganInCamo, Feb 14, 2019.

1. LoganInCamo

LoganInCamo Chieftain

Anyone know how to change to an alternate color? I haven’t seen the option.

2. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

The jersey system is only for multiplayer, apparently. Atleast for human players. I've seen the AIs in all sorts of weird colors and I hate it.

3. LoganInCamo

LoganInCamo Chieftain

Thank you for your reply. I hate “multiplayer only” scenarios and now this is also locked behind that wall. As far back as Civ II I loved scenarios, don’t see a reason to exclude them from the most common game, which is against AI.

The player should also be able to change colors for themselves or AI as needed or wanted.

iamliberal and Banazir864 like this.
  4. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I wish I could disable the system altogether. I keep getting confused by the minimap becuase everyone's colors are different. I'm sure that'll be easy to mod out though...

nzcamel, Hawke9 and darkace77450 like this.
  5. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

Man I hope so. The old darker, more subdued colors looked nice. These new, over-saturated colors look garish.

Hawke9 likes this.
  6. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

Turquoise Japan :vomit:

7. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

It's moddable, but tedious. The colors for the new civs are defined in .../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/DLC/Expansion2/Data/Expansion2_PlayerColors.xml. Like this:

Code:
            <Row>
                <Type>LEADER_ELEANOR_ENGLAND</Type>
                <Usage>Unique</Usage>
                <PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</PrimaryColor>
                <SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_WHITE_LT</SecondaryColor>
                <Alt1PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</Alt1PrimaryColor>
                <Alt1SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</Alt1SecondaryColor>
                <Alt2PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_WHITE_LT</Alt2PrimaryColor>
                <Alt2SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_MD</Alt2SecondaryColor>
                <Alt3PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</Alt3PrimaryColor>
                <Alt3SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_DK</Alt3SecondaryColor>
            </Row>

If you don't want alt colors, then just set the Alt1, Alt2, and Alt3 colors to be the same as the Primary colors. There are similar files for Expansion1, the other DLCs, and for the base game. I wonder if changing "Unique" to "Minor" would also work. That's how city states are listed...

I haven't tested this, of course.

nzcamel, Banazir864 and darkace77450 like this.
  8. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

Can we still change colors using hex color values? Or does everything have to be "standard [insert color here]" now?

9. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Well, you can specify the hex values for those variables in .../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Colors/PlayerStandardColors.xml. I don't know if you can specify a hex value directly. You can always add a new variable to the list and then use it, though. Probably.

Again, I haven't tested anything.

darkace77450 likes this.
  10. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

Thanks for checking into this. After things settle down (after a few rounds of patches) I'll edit what I can. I should have probably written down every Civ's hex value before the update changed everyone's colors. :c5unhappy:

nzcamel and Futumch like this.
  11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You don't need to avoid the multiplayer scenarios. Set them up as a game where all of your opponents are AI. Technically multiplayer, but effectively single player.

12. Josephias

Josephias King

IIRC, in previous Civs there was a different .XML were there were defined the RGB values for each of the colors (and you could créate your own entries). I don't know if it Works the same for Civ VI.

Speaking of wich: ¿does aesthetic moding like changing civ colors impact achievements?. If not, ¿how it is determined which files you can change and which files are "rules" that you can't?

I like some of the jerseys, but there are much better options for some other of them...

13. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I have approached it from a different angle. Instead of locking specific colour combinations, I added more colour options to the 28 which are declared in the xml files. For example, I added a gold colour called "wattle" and a deep green called "castleton" and then changed the declarations for Australia to use those two colours.
    This works fine and after a few hours mucking about I had things pretty close to where they were (for me) last year.

I did run into a snag trying to set up a Swedish blue for Kristina, it just kept on failing to declare properly and ended up white. I ended up just using one of the system colours which was pretty close and that worked instead.

I ended up with 49 colours at the end of my editing, and I'll progressively tweak civ colours to how I want them over the next few weeks.
    Aesthetics don't affect achievements. You can have a Midnight Blue + Salmon coloured China like me and still earn those achievements.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Left side are the base colours used in the game. The right hand side are the colours I added, along with RGB values:

15. LoganInCamo

LoganInCamo Chieftain

Thank you for the info.

16. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

Upon loading a bunch of old saves to add games to the Hall of Fame last night, I sure saw a ton of civ colours change all over the place even retroactively which was pretty interesting. But yeah I was hoping one would be able to choose jersey colours manually for yourself at least even in single player so that is a bit disappointing. However, I'm sure someone will come up with some sort of jersey selection mod one of these days

17. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

The jersey system is a very cool idea that is marred by a couple problems.

1. Limited colour palette: while I like standardised way of doing colours, the current amount of base colours is not enough to make the necessary number of jerseys that wouldn't overlap with each other.
    2. Bad colour choices: the colour palette uses a handful of primary colours and darkens/brightens them by adding black or white. This results in a lot of washed out pinks or dirty yellows which are not easy on the eyes.
    3. Bad jerseys: some colour sets are of lesser aesthetic quality to those from pre-GS Civ 6. Most notably Arabia that is a bizarre mix of neon green and mud yellow, among a few others. Some jerseys bear no historical or thematic connection to the civs they are meant to represent as well.
    4. Repeated jerseys: some civs have alternative jerseys that are never going to be seen. Most notably Georgia and the Netherlands. Georgia uses alternative schemes with white backgrounds, which - if their white background overlaps with another civ - are all going to be skipped in favour of a generic fallback jersey.
    5. Bad fallback jerseys: there is a sizeable set of generic fallback jerseys that a civ can use if it runs out of its alternative jerseys (in the very likely situation of all of them overlapping with someone else's). There are a few unpleasant combinations like black on lilac, green on orange or black on neon blue. It does not represent any civ successfully.
    6. Not enough jerseys: ties to problem no.1. I tested the system on a huge map with 20 civs: the game simply ran out of useable non-conflicting jerseys and didn't assign any colours to at least one civ: result was the city banner was invisible, nor they were visible on the minimap. Unit flags disappeared altogether. In another test, it resulted in a white-on-white colour scheme. This presents an issue for large games or TSL Earth maps with all playable civs enabled.
    7. System checks for similarities between colours a bit too broadly: Roosevelt and Trajan are recognised by the jersey system as having similar primary colours, when in reality they bear no resemblance in hue. The result is that when the two are in game, one or both of them will immediately skip to their alternate jerseys.

Again, I like the system as a concept, however the execution is not the best at the moment. What I'd like to see are two things:
    - an on/off switch of the system as a whole, so it's an option
    - implementation of jersey chooser drop-down from multiplayer into singleplayer, so the player can mix and match his preferred colour schemes

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  18. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

@Laurana Kanan indicated her first GS mod would be to mod back in the original colours for each civ.

You may be able to save yourself some trouble and borrow the work she's done.

19. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I just wonder how the system will react to them. It still might recognise some of the original colours as "too similar" to others and thus skip them in favour of alternative jerseys. And if the message was aimed at me, I prefer to do things myself - not all GS jerseys look bad and I'd rather approach civ colours on a case by case basis. :)

One more thing about the colours, the jerseys have no bearing on unit colours. It seems their clothing colours are pre-baked in artdef files. They used to be specified very broadly on a per-ethnicity level, now it's on a per-civ level. Still, the colours of units and jerseys don't match when alternative jerseys are used. Attached: orange France with blue units, orange Japan with red-and-white units, and Poland that uses dark red units despite the jersey being pink.

Attached Files:

20. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Does anyone have the original hex values for the pre-GS civs?