1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] “Jersey”colors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by LoganInCamo, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I switched around colors to my own tastes and some came out fine while others turned out wrong and I don't know why and I think I'm running into that same problem.
    I set Sweden to have the medium blue and medium yellow color for all the jerseys but in game she comes out to be orange and green?

2. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

Which of those base colors was China using after they switched them from a medium green to an olive green?

3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I'd have to see your mod setup, but I haven't had any issues in my color tests out of the 28 Civs I've changed thus far. Of course there's always a possibility that my color choices have been outside of what would trigger a color change. However, after running a few test games with 25 Civs I haven't seen any issues.

4. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

It seems there is a difference between adding colours the old method (UpdateDatabase) and the new one introduced in GS (UpdateColors) - I didn't test it myself yet, but after talking to other fellow modders it seems that doing things the old way creates colours that are not subject to detection by the jersey system, while using the new action of UpdateColors, it does. If you worked as GS does, then you likely made all the colours simply not overlap enough for the jerseys to be changed, however working within the vanilla system and its standardised colours - as I did - does not prevent any colour changes (which is to be expected to be honest). Admittedly, it would be easier from the get go if you said what process were you using in the very beginning, or at least provided screenshots of the effects, as it would remove any potential misunderstanding.

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Here is my Kristina sample. I went straight into Expansion2_Player Colors xml. and changed them manually. Not sure if I need to go somewhere else as well.
    Code:
    <Row>
                <Type>LEADER_KRISTINA</Type>
                <Usage>Unique</Usage>
                <PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_MD</PrimaryColor>
                <SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</SecondaryColor>
                <Alt1PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_MD</Alt1PrimaryColor>
                <Alt1SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</Alt1SecondaryColor>
                <Alt2PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_MD</Alt2PrimaryColor>
                <Alt2SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</Alt2SecondaryColor>
                <Alt3PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_MD</Alt3PrimaryColor>
                <Alt3SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</Alt3SecondaryColor>
            </Row>
    No other Civs in that game were using a primary medium blue color to my knowledge, however she is now orange and green, unless Kupe's aqua color negated it.
    P.S. The icons on the main screen though now match the primary colors at least.

6. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Is it possible you could make your mod available for others to use?

Seek likes this.
  7. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Originally China was using RGB of 125,150,60 (olive green) and white. The middle green is China's first choice now, which is RGB 76,188,0.

(I have always preferred to change China's colours to deep jade and light copper, which frees up green and white for Arabia and now the Ottomans).

I think the Mapuche, America and France all use Medium blue now. What's probably happened is a clash between France and Sweden has ocurred, and repeated while looking for an alternate colour combination. I think once the alternative options are exhausted, the generic combinations are used.

I used the XP colour for Sweden's blue. It seems alright:
    Code:
    <PrimaryColor>COLOR_XP_BLUE</PrimaryColor>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

I was under the impression that it didn't matter if you set the alternate jerseys to all the same colors unless I'm not understanding this correctly.
    Besides those other three Civs weren't AI along where Sweden had orange, yet the Dutch were. I switched France with Sweden anyway because it made more sense for Sweden to have the darker blue and France to have the lighter blue that they originally had.

9. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

It would be nice to have a breakdown of HOW the jerseys are picked out. Like a flowchart or something. I have a couple of days off soon which means I might be able to do some more trial and error stuff.
    Just referring to your posts above, I think that you ended up with a funny coloured Sweden because whatever game logic decides on the colours detected a clash, then detected a clash with the alternate, then the secondary, then the tertiary. It's because all those combinations were the same, so it makes sense that they would all clash.
    I think that's the only down side to setting all the alternates the same - it's an all-or-nothing shotgun approach.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

In my latest game, Mongolia is periwinkle pink and white. I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I ran into their warrior, expected Eleanor, and got Genghis Khan instead.

11. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

I really hope they enable a choice of jersey in the single player. The default colors for Arabia is probably the worst I've seen in a long long time. Puke yellow-brown and neon-green :vomit:

Elhoim and nzcamel like this.
  12. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

How do I add these colours into the game?

13. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Okay the Gold and White jersey for France is straight fire, I wish that was their default. It's so fancy and regal

14. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

The jerseys largely suck because the game makes no distinction between the hues of colors (light red and dark red can coexists in the same game Firaxis). The most obnoxious for me is the Inca: their background is burnt sienna. Why do they kick all the red jerseys from my game? The idea is good, but I'm already SO BORED of seeing Ochre + Pine Green and Navy Blue + Orange in every game.

j51, Seek, nzcamel and 1 other person like this.
  15. Laurana Kanan

I said as much...
    Interestingly, if I mix team-color modified Civs with Civs I haven't adjusted yet, the system will hiccup and force adjustments on my modified colors. Even when those modified colors are no where near similar to anything else in the game - so it seems kind of random. :crazyeye:

It would be nice if we at least knew what the threshold is for triggering a palette change. Better yet, since all the original color palettes are still in the xml files, it would be fantastic if FXS added an option in the color-blind accessibility drop-down to either have Default Colors (meaning the original ones) or Jersey Colors.
    I forgot I was going to check this, and one good thing is that this now works correctly with new color palettes when defined in the FrontEndActions, since the icons have alpha layers instead of baked in colors. :)
    I've not completed it yet, but here's the basic code I used if you want to make one yourself.

j51 likes this.
  16. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Question: Do I add standard colours into the game by simply editing PlayerStandardColors.xml?

17. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ Warlord

I hope with the updated world builder later i can pick any color i want for every civ in my scenario like i did with civ v

18. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Here's the code I used, just append it to your PlayerStandardColors.xml file. After that, I added the appropriate colour references to the new colours in civs that I wanted to change.
    I removed Khaki yasterday and replaced it with a colour called smoke, which is a good option as a replacement for white.

Just bear in mind this is a hack. Back up your files before you start screwing around with them!

Code:
             <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_THISTLE</Type>
                <Color>216,191,216,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_TAN</Type>
                <Color>210,180,140,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_LEMON</Type>
                <Color>253,255,0,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_SALMON</Type>
                <Color>250,128,114,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_SAFFRON</Type>
                <Color>244,196,48,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_CADET_GREY</Type>
                <Color>145,163,176,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_CELESTE</Type>
                <Color>178,255,255,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_NEON_GREEN</Type>
                <Color>57,255,20,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_GOLDENROD</Type>
                <Color>218,165,32,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_MANTIS</Type>
                <Color>138,154,91,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_CERISE</Type>
                <Color>222,49,99,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_INDIGO</Type>
                <Color>63,0,255,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_ROYAL_BLUE</Type>
                <Color>16,52,166,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_SEPIA</Type>
                <Color>112,66,20,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_SMOKE</Type>
                <Color>212,212,224,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_BURGUNDY</Type>
                <Color>144,0,32,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_TYRIAN_PURPLE</Type>
                <Color>102,2,60,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_MIDNIGHT_BLUE</Type>
                <Color>25,25,112,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_ISLAMIC_GREEN</Type>
                <Color>0,144,0,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_WATTLE</Type>
                <Color>255,205,0,255</Color>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <Type>COLOR_STANDARD_CASTLETON</Type>
                <Color>0,86,59,255</Color>
            </Row>

Josephias likes this.
  19. Laurana Kanan

I can never stress too much how important it is to create a mod instead of altering base game files directly. Even with back-ups it's just too easy to mess something up unintentionally and it's such a headache trying to track issues down.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

BTW, is there any way to change the units color?