0.1% have the apollo achivement

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Denkt, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Chieftain

Won on Apollo twice, got no achievement for any victory. Now gonna test quick/small maps to rush win and see if the issues persist...

2. Darvon

Darvon Chieftain

The thing with steam achievements is it doesn't track the people who go double the second highest's score by turn 150 and stop playing out of boredom. 6 hours clicking "next turn" or tediously micro managing 1UPT combat isn't a minor undertaking.

Edit: Did the "next turn" grind - Steam didn't register the achievement regardless.

3. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Mechanic's wise, this is Civ5.5, so no wonder there are people already mastering the game. It's just not that much different from Civ5.

4. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Chieftain

Well, the Apollo domination of duel map netted me all the achievements.

Apollo feels like Civ5's Emperor difficulty at best, no true immortal, nevermind deity.

5. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

yes, you mod up and no more achievements. I wonder if the "cheat" that allows you to just load the turn before the victory-savegame without mods giving you achivements still work. That one only works if the mods you've used aren't so invasive that you can't load the save anymore.

6. Razor Rex

Razor Rex Chieftain

You also have to remember that you frequent a website called "civFANATICS" -- For the most part I come here expecting the very best and brightest of the Civ universe.

I wasn't surprised when people from this forum were thrashing through Apollo difficulty. Any time you get people surprised you don't play CIV V on anything lower than Immortal you expect them to be ahead of the difficulty curve.

I suspect the general "population" isn't blazing through the game like most on this forum. I'm certainly not and I suspect most average gamers aren't either.

tl;dr - You guys are the best of the best.

7. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

the type of player who is good at the game is probably not going to waste their time hitting end turn until the victory screen

most of them just quit and move on knowing they have won

8. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

That's alway been a weakness in the civ series, making it interesting when you are so far ahead.

9. Tinker

Tinker Prince

I don't know, I regularly lose on Immortal in Civ V, and can't win Deity at all. I loaded up Apollo as my second game and won with ease.

10. Grotius

Grotius Prince

Apollo now has been achieved by only 0.2% of Steam users -- and Soyuz shows the same stat, 0.2%. Even if that number omits some using mods, I think it's probably in the right ballpark. CivFanatics is full of civ fanatics. By contrast, most of my friends in my WoW guild play Civ games on Normal/Prince difficulty levels; few of them even try the high difficulty levels. Me, I struggle with Immortal on Civ 5, and I don't think I've ever won a Deity game there -- partly because I favor a peaceful building game.

Sure, this game may be easier than Civ 5 right now, thanks to Trade Routes and whatnot. But my guildmates are struggling on the lower difficulty levels, just as they do with Civ 5.

TL;DR: I agree, CivFanatics is the best of the best.

11. Darvon

Darvon Chieftain

This ^

12. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

There seems to be an issue with achievements. I played a few games already, but today the game started counting killed aliens...

13. VirtuallyJesse

VirtuallyJesse Chieftain

Just echoing I have beaten the game on Apollo twice and haven't gotten it either time. Just imagine how high the real % is.

14. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Because of the alien nests and miasma, there is more randomness when it comes to actual difficulty of one game on apollo vs a different one on apollo. My first game I started in crappy flat tundra with little resources nearby and fell behind to city spamming polystralia and slavs. Next game I had much better lands and the aliens were far away and bottlenecked, allowing me to city spam and make use of lots of trade routes.

Playing just 1 or 2 games and saying apollo is too easy is not fair to the many types of games that are possible.

15. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Got a Transendence win on Apollo tonight with Polyasia. That is way easier than Promised Land for sure. Just build the wonder and wait 25 turns, build mind stems and xeno sacntuaries to cut back the 25 turns. Was fun but really have no desire to do that again. Probably only other victory I'll try next is dom. I hate managing that many cities(I had 8), trade routes and workers. Also had enough energy for a very large army just in case of an invasion. Really felt burned out after playing. Much faster to play Civ5 BNW SV/DiploV than this game.

16. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Lol, that number will grow real fast.

My only regret is not starting in appolo and taking a detour for the first game in soyouz difficulty. Walk in the park BIG TIME. (600 culture, 900 science, 300 gold pet turn / 130 health / biggest army ever)

17. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Lots of people move to mods as fast as possible. I myself am moving to mods today after a frustrating weekend with trade routes nightmare.
    Also haven't finished a single game for the reason of 1. total domination over AI > bored, and 2. totally frustrated and furious by trade routes > rage quit. I didn't try Apollo though. But damn, it's the first time I went so far away from comfortable prince / king lvl civ difficulties and didn't even sweat.

There's also so little reward in completing the game, aside from achievements, that I personally never cared about, and once you move to mods, there's no reward whatsoever (no achievements, no HoF), except for better gameplay.

18. Fabien

Fabien Warlord

I have the achievement and managed to get it with my second game ever played (first one was on Soyuz). Apollo is easy compared to Immortal in Civ 5.

It seems the flat production bonuses for the AI have been removed or nerfed compared to Civ 5, i.e. the Ai does have too small armies for my taste. I should not be able to outproduce an AI (and I could not on Deity, but on Apollo it is very easy to do.) They also don't seem to start with an additional colonist, probably because they could not use the pod thanks to all the Aliens.

19. Haggbart

Haggbart King

I can count on one hand the units I lost to aliens and miasma on all my playthroughs.

People that are careless with explorers and forget workers/explorers on miasma tiles while ignoring ultrasonic fences with immune trade routes don't count towards the difficulty of the game.

I've yet to see a start on Apollo that was not easy to turn around. And certainly not anything comparable to a really sucky start between two agressive AI factions on deity in CiV