04/20/06 FOX Poll: Gloomy Economic Views; Bush Approval at New Low

Fox Mccloud said:
Your in the military right? I would take your info to be more accurate then any news source, then.

Because naturally a person in the military is far less biased than any outside observer.

Have my babies?

Goonie said:
Because naturally a person in the military is far less biased than any outside observer.

Have my babies?

Well they are definitly more knowledgable about the situation then any outside observer...

Even one stationed in Iraq whose job is to look at and analyze the situation from a neutral standpoint?

Goonie said:
Even one stationed in Iraq whose job is to look at and analyze the situation from a neutral standpoint?

I doubt many people in iraq fighting for their lives have a neutral point of view. Its kind of hard to have a neutral point of view with car bombs going off and people shooting at you every day. So i dont blame them.

Well then does not the fact that "car boms [are] going off and people [are] shooting at" reporters mean that the USA is in fact not winning since they are not providing Iraqis with security and prosperity?

EDIT: Please realize that this whole post relies upon the assumption that the situation is as Xanikk999 would have us believe.

Goonie said:
Well then does not the fact that "car boms [are] going off and people [are] shooting at" reporters mean that the USA is in fact not winning since they are not providing Iraqis with security and prosperity?

EDIT: Please realize that this whole post relies upon the assumption that the situation is as Xanikk999 would have us believe.

We cant provide security on a full scale for iraqis. Some of these terrorist groups are not just targeting american troops but iraqi civilians also. And with all the insurgents popping up fighting us with geurrilla warfare styles its not a war that can be won.

Maybe, but this tangent was not the purpose of my original post and has little to do with the point I was trying to make. Go make and see what prompted my first post-- you know, that one you so candidly responded to.

FriendlyFire said:
Everything ???

Hmmm iam sure you have factored in the Massive deficets, price of oil, continued increased US expenditure in Iraq

Massive Deficits: Does not effect me on a daily basis.

Price of Oil: Currently, my gas is cheaper than it was last year.

Increased US expenditures in Iraq: Does not effect me on a daily basis.

Are you perhapes saying that if you take everything into xonsideration then things arent bad ?

I say people tend to make mountains out of molehills. I am willing to be not a single person on this forum has had their daily civil rights violated in any way irregardless of their thoughts on such issues as wiretaps or the Patriot Act. People are extremely gifted at making out perception to be reality.

Goonie said:

Show me someone who states they are completely neutral about any subject and I will show you a liar.

Opinions are like orifices. Everyone has a few.

MobBoss said:
Price of Oil: Currently, my gas is cheaper than it was last year.

I heard earlier today that the average gas price in the US is 60 cents higher per gallon than it was last year at this time...

Up to $500 billion projected to be spent in a blundered Iraq, massive deficits, blundered Medicare prescription, blundered Katrina, blundered energy policy, dead-in-the-water Social security reform, squandered goodwill among allies...

33% is being charitable.

Eleven percent of Americans say they disapprove because they "don’t like him" and 10 percent because he "doesn’t care about average people."

Opinion Dynamics Corp. conducted the national telephone poll of 900 registered voters for FOX News on April 18 and April 19.

I pulled this from the article that Zulu9812 posted. Does it seem to anyone else that the numbers just don't add up? Since when have 900 people represented the opinions of a nation of 280+ million people?

CamBot said:
Up to $500 billion projected to be spent in a blundered Iraq

Certainly debatable. Every war has its blunders, regardless of the amount of planning. Armchair generaling is rarely, if ever, forgiving.

massive deficits,

Valid.

blundered Medicare prescription

Too early to call it blundered. If it helps out the elderly with their meds, why is it blundered?

blundered Katrina,

I will certainly debate this issue. Its not a fed responsiblity to be first responders. And its a fact that the federal response to Katrina was quicker than for any hurricane in the prior 10 years. Hardly a blunder if one takes that into account. But, if your first responders walk off the job to loot stores, your mayor leaves bus's in the school yard to be flooded and your governor has no idea of the levees broke or not - its hardly a federal blunder.

blundered energy policy

Dont see this one. Feel free to convince me.

dead-in-the-water Social security reform

Blame the dems for this one if you want. Bush wanted reform.

squandered goodwill among allies...

We have more allies than just France and Germany.

33% is being charitable.

Shrug.

Since when have 900 people represented the opinions of a nation of 280+ million people?
Since some very smart people invented statistics.

Statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to.
The margin of error for a .000003% sample.
Besides, 900/280000000 is not big enough to produce a valid statistic.

megalomaniac said:
Statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to.
900 < 280,000,000 I don't even want to try to calculate the margin of error for this.
Besides, 900/280000000 is not big enough to be a valid sample IMHO.
With all due respect, your opinion is wrong. While 900 is slightly on the smallish side (standard is about 1000), it doesn't make much of a difference, and the relevant margin of error is given with the poll. It's probably about 4 or 5%, 19 times out of 20. So Bush's approval could be anywhere from 28-38%; there is a 5% chance or less that the poll wildly misrepresents the views of the public, but there have been so many polls indicating a similar figure that the odds of them all being wrong are astronomical.

MobBoss said:
Show me someone who states they are completely neutral about any subject and I will show you a liar.

Opinions are like orifices. Everyone has a few.

Not saying reporters in Iraq are free of bias. But biases vary in strength and pervasiveness--especially when emotional attachments such as those to a comradery are taken into account--and I was simply wondering whether Foxxy boy truly thought that your biases were somehow more negligible than those of reporters.

Perhaps the answer is yes since you are generally of the same political persuasion. If this is the case, then critical thinking is surely lacking in his life. And you know it's been said that "the unexamined life is not worth living."

Might I ask why reporters are even IN Iraq? Honestly, all they do is say bad things about our president and give us extra bodies to keep track of. If they want to go to a warzone, they should provide their own security rather than slow down the military.

megalomaniac said:
Might I ask why reporters are even IN Iraq? Honestly, all they do is say bad things about our president and give us extra bodies to keep track of. If they want to go to a warzone, they should provide their own security rather than slow down the military.
You know, even without foreign reporters in Iraq, there would still be people there that would report from Iraq?

And are you completely neglecting the importance of the 1st Amendment? Freedom of the Press is a critical compotent of the founding of our Nation. Even if Americans go abroad, the press is essential to preserve liberty. The press was necessary for the Founding Fathers to debate on the issues and spread their views among the public. Without a press reporting on the government, we are left without vital information in making decisions on policies and on whom to vote for in elections.

I hope your comment was a joke.

Top Bottom