04/20/06 FOX Poll: Gloomy Economic Views; Bush Approval at New Low

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zulu9812, Apr 21, 2006.

1. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

But that's to you and not Joe Schmo two blocks over. Their experiences might be different, though.

Even though the economy isn't in the dumps, once again, the higher prices of certain things have made it seem worse than it might otherwise be.

2. The Yankee

Nah, Nixon had a lower approval rating.

And I think Franklin Pierce was much worse.

3. bgast1

bgast1 Prince

Well, I am not a liberal, and I don't know about the entire economy, but I just paid $35.00 to fill up my gas tank this afternoon, and I used to fill it up for $15.00 and I thought that was outrageous then. I can hardly afford to pay my bills anymore, because I only got a huge!? 3% raise. Let me say this, if all the rest of the prices of goods and services continues to go up like the price of gas (and they will, because of the price of gas) then I am going to have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet. Something has got to give. I don't think it's because of the war in Iraq, and I don't think it's President Bush's fault either. I always thought that in the past, wars were supposed to be good for the economy?

4. The Yankee

Of course they don't. You're not the one that will be paying for them.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Highborne Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    How low can Bush get :lol:?

6. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Incorrect. If a sample size becomes a sizable portion of the total population, the result is skewed. There are equations, which depend on what type of statistical test that is used, to find the optimal sample size required based on the statistical power desired, usually ~80%. More appropriate to polling here, is the marigin of error.

And statistics can only be made to say whatever you want to say if you do not use it properly. Use statistics properly and there is no problem. For example, look at this link to determine the marigin of error of a poll- http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/selstat/ssstart.htm

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Using this sample size with a 95% confidence level, we have a confidence interval of ~3.07 for a 33% approval rating; e.g. 33% +/- 3.07.

As well, from wikipedia:

7. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

The economy is strong. Gas prices are the only reason why people think the economy is weak (and that they keep getting told the economy is weak). And short of price fixing and drilling our own oil in Alaska, what can be done about gas?

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

She really needs to be convinced that it is her duty to run! Frankly, to any bigshot national RNC type Republicans reading this, she's the only chance of you all keeping my vote the next time around. It's either her or most likely I'm Constitution Party bound.

9. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

You could always make car companies produce more fuel efficent cars. Start looking at alternative fuels is another option.

10. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

The economy is still doing fine, the Dow was able to rally almost 300 points this week even with $70+ oil futures. Typically that announcement would crush the market, we have cooped with higher gas prices without taking on too much inflation.

11. VoodooAce

VoodooAce Emperor

I blame the conservative media for him being selected, then elected, in the first place.

The man is doing such a poor job that even the conservative media can no longer spin things positively.

12. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

If you do a search of this forum for threads started by myself, you will see that I have given plenty of reasons why Bush is a bad president. Fool.

13. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Oh yes you can.

The problem is, of course, it's not "economically viable" and that a westerner's life is worth more than an Iraqis.

'Nuff said.

14. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I want Condoleeza Rice v. Hillary Clinton, so it can motive me just enough to move out of this nation.

15. Atropos

Atropos Beware my geekhood

The Dow rallied because of the Fed minutes, which indicated that rates have peaked. Markets like low interest rates, but they indicate that the Fed thinks that the economy has also peaked.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, by the way.

16. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Heh, Zulu signs his quotes "Fool". I like it.:lol:

17. jameson

jameson Emperor

Bah, the Dow is a rather crap indicator for the state of the economy anyway (the S&P 500 would be better, but for most people, the state of the stock market still doesn't affect their bottom line as much as generally thought).

If inflation hasn't risen as much as one would expect in a a fast-growing economy, it's because real wages are pretty much flat. That's a sign of weakness, not of strength. Unemployment is low because people are dropping out of the labour force, and job creation hasn't kept up with population growth for several years now. The main thing keeping GDP growth up now is GDP spending, and if you look at the [negative] real savings rate among consumers, it looks sustainable only if the rise in housing prices keeps up (since housing makes up for the lion's share of most people's investment portfolio, its appreciation in value makes peoplethink they're rich even if the price rises can usually not in fact be easily cashed in).

Contrary to popular belief, most people in fact aren't that stupid when it comes to their personal finances, so if Americans think the economy is doing only fair to poorly by a 2 to 1 majority, chances are good that things aren't as fine as a few cherry-picked numbers would seem to suggest.

18. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

:lol: I think that is the whole issue. If you want our energy policy ask an oil executive.

19. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Read it.

In fairness a recent survy put Bush approval amounst serving personal at 53% down from 64% last year. No doubt there is a decline in support from the troops themselves as the Iraq war drags on.

20. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

Zero Percent

I'll keep my fingers crossed:D