1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.129] Simultaneously at war and declared friend with Victoria

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by BobTheRabbit, Jun 8, 2017.

1. BobTheRabbit

BobTheRabbit Chieftain

So I'm plugging merrily along in my game as Australia. I am in turn 73, and at the beginning of the turn, my friendship with Victoria ends. I don't think anything of it and finish my turn as normal.

After I end my turn, but before the start of turn 74, Catherine de Medici declares war against me. Again, no big deal. Still before my turn, Victoria asks if we should be declared friends again. I'm thinking, "Sure, I just had war declared on me, so not a bad idea to have a friend again." So I accept her offer.

At the start of turn 74, I notice two message popups on the bottom right of the screen. The first is saying that I (and my city-state pal, Geneva) are now at war with Catherine. But the second is saying that Geneva and I are both now at war with Victoria. Wait... what?!?

At the top of the screen, Victoria still has the blue smiley-face indicating that she is friends with me, and I'm still able to trade with her (though I opt not too). But a couple of turns later, I notice a warrior of hers enter my territory, which I think is a bit strange since we don't have an open borders agreement. So just to formalize things a bit, I offer an open borders treaty, which she accepts (as long as I pay her 1 GPT). But I notice that her borders don't become dashed lines; they stay solid. And then one turn after that, she pillages a trade route between two of my cities.

"What the heck, Vicky?", I think to myself. So I go to talk with her, and the diplomatic screen appears as if we are the best of friends. But she obviously thinks we're at war since she's overtly wiping out my trade routes.

Now, I don't have any interest in being "frenemies" with Victoria, particularly because I don't know of any way that we're ever going to be able to end the "war" we're having (or, at least, the war that she thinks we're having).

I've attached the save from turn 73, right before the initial war declaration. All you have to do to recreate the bug is play out the turn (just move a few units around... or don't, and just press "Next Turn"). Catherine will declare war, and after she does, just accept Victoria's friend request.

By the way, I replayed the game after declining Victoria's friend request, and at the start of turn 74, it correctly shows us as being at war.

My best guess is that there is a bug when you have the unusual confluence of two events: the end of a declared friendship with X which X wants to renew one turn later, and Y trying to get X to declare a joint war on you, both in the same turn.

Thoughts?

-Bob the Rabbit

Attached Files:

2. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Chieftain

Going to bump this since I got this bug in the new patch [1.0.0.167]
    Same situation - England obviously asks Sumeria to joint war me the same turn Sumeria asks to DoF me. I do have a save but also a few mods are on so yeah.....

3. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Chieftain

Turns out I have an autosave from turn 240 (the turn my friendship with Sumeria expires).

If I DoF Sumeria on my turn I don't get the joint war, but if I do not then he will joint war me (With England) and propose a DoF on the same turn causing the bug.
    I cannot DoF England the turn before to test that aspect of the bug.

4. Packherd2

Packherd2 Chieftain

This just happened to me with the Fall 2017 patch.

C'mon, Firaxis. You're killin' me. :undecide:

5. VTMatt

VTMatt Chieftain

Have encountered the same bug! Appreciate the description of the mechanics though, I hadn't noticed the turn it happened, so didn't know how the dual friend/enemy states occurred

6. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

Patch 1.0.0.194 (313929) bug still here
    =======

End this turn, Rome asked me for friendship and declared a joint war against me in at the same time.

Attached Files:

7. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

I had the same issue recently, playing as England I ended up in an undeclared war with my declared friend Rome. With no way to end the war, or start a war, I did the only thing I could and conquered Rome. Hostilities with the friend are ended and next to no negative effects from warmongering.

8. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain