[R&F] [1.0.0.216] Unable to become declared friend/ally with AI?

bbufa

Warlord

Attachments

• AutoSave_0217.Civ6Save
    3.6 MB · Views: 109
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 484
Last edited:
This happens to me a lot. Can't look at the save now, but by chance do you control another Civ's capital?

yes, i swept Mapuche off, in ancient or classical era, since then I haven't attacked anyone else and try to play peacefully, even liberated Brussels during an emergency.
My first alliance with Dutch was made in medieval or renaissance era, when the friendship ended, I tried to increase positive affix but Wilhelmina just said no.

yes, i swept Mapuche off, in ancient or classical era, since then I haven't attacked anyone else and try to play peacefully, even liberated Brussels during an emergency.
My first alliance with Dutch was made in medieval or renaissance era, when the friendship ended, I tried to increase positive affix but Wilhelmina just said no.

I wonder if there might be some hidden factor to this, because in my games it tends to be easy to maintain friendships and alliances... until I knock over a rival and take their capital. Even if I manage to do so with zero warmonger penalties, it seems at that point all my alliances run out and they won't renew friendship for a very long time thereafter. My sample size is fairly small at this point, only a couple of games, but it matches up with your experience.

Yeah that pisses me off so much. First ROF game I made an alliance with every civ but one (standard size). Level two alliances by the end of industrial but right as the alliance ends, no one even wants to be my friend. There weren't even any negative relations, besides one or two "Different governments." However, that was only around a -4 compared to a +45.

Edit: And then one of them backstabs me, twice! Don't worry, two emergencies launched and I got myself a decent 38,000 gold. AI can't even control an army yet, pathetic.

There is something wrong with how this work
Victoria and leandrombraz were discussing possible hidden modifiers somewhere in the big Rise and Fall Thread
Someone suggested that liberating may be bugged as well
Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Can't say I have this problem. Here is a screenshot from my current game, as you can see I control the Japanese capital: Screenshot. I was not the one who wiped them, however, I let America take their last city, but that was back in the classical era.

@bbufa You are leading in several victory types, so the AI sees you as a threat. They want to keep the option to declare war open, even though you are currently friendly with them.

If the AI will not declare friendship when one is leading in several victory types, that would certainly explain the behavior I am observing and why owning capitals contributes to it. Thank you for the explanation.

Yeah that is good to know. So some kind of hidden modifier then?

On lower levels that would make friendships harder.

On higher you tend to scramble a bit more so then it is possible?

Maybe it's Wilhelmina, she refuses to renew friendship here too. She did that before in this game and then came around a few turns later, no idea why. But it's annoying when your science drops and wisselbanken becomes invalid.
Wilhelmina.jpg

I do occupy a capital (Australia) but the first alliance came after I took that. I even had a joined war with her against Australia.

I've had Persia's capital since the Classical era (now in Information) but I've got Alliances with China, Egypt and Sumeria and they've been consistently willing to be friends and allies (except for China for a little while because I was getting some wonders).

Pretty much sour relations with everyone else though because I've religiously converted their cities. I'm close to both a religious and scientific victory (though I think Sumeria's a bit closer to the science victory at the moment). Dunno if that sheds any light on things. Seems like for whatever reason Wilhelmina wants to keep the option for war open. Is she already allies (or even friends) with someone you've denounced or at war with? Could be that she favours that relationship more.

I had this problem in my game. I got 5 alliances and friendship with almost everyone (12 leaders, 1 denounced, 1 neutral, 5 allies and the rest either friend or friendly), I lost them one by one and they didn't want to renew friendship even though they was drowning in positive modifiers and I had no warmongering. Only Brazil was my ally through the whole game and Pericles I lost a few turns before winning. I got a friendship declaration with Egypt later and that is it. Australia declared war on me later even though he was friendly and dragged Pericles with him, who I had lost friendship a few turns ago.

I don't like it, it feels like trying to get positive modifiers is pointless, they will secretly hate you even though the status is friendly.

Is this a problem caused by the recent hotfix patch?

Good to know. Odd. I haven't encountered this before. Seems like it could be a bug.

So it looks like firaxis is saying that it is not a problem or bug but intended. If you are winning (In more than one victory condition?) AI do not want to make friendship and alliances

I dont have trouble getting DoF in that case, but I notice even my friends will only give me a measly 1 gpt for a lux... The way they offer trades seems bugged when you control another civs capital

@bbufa You are leading in several victory types, so the AI sees you as a threat. They want to keep the option to declare war open, even though you are currently friendly with them.
That makes sense but also makes the new alliance system useless, it takes lots of time to level up the alliance and then I can't use it in the end?

Have you checked if the AI you conquered was friendly to your previous ally? Maybe that explains the degradation of your friendship.

Top Bottom