[R&F] [1.0.0.220] City-state bonuses not applying correctly to conquered cities

Enigmasdf

Chieftain
Hi,

I'm currently experiencing a bug with the City-State bonuses you get from Envoys not being correctly applied to the cities I have conquered in the game.

Here is an example in my current game. In order to simplify I will only focus on commercial City-States, but the bug seems somewhat consistent across all types of City-States. The bug seems to only apply to the 3 envoy and 6 envoy bonus. The 1 envoy and suzerain bonus are not affected.

These are the commercial City-States I'm affiliated with and their bonuses from 1, 3 and 6 envoys in order:

Muscat 11 envoys (Suzerain): +4 gold in capital, +4 gold in markets, +4 gold in banks
Lisbon 9 envoys (not Suzerain, but friendly, no war): +4 gold in capital, +4 gold in markets, +4 gold in banks

I also use the Free Market policy which yields me 50% extra gold from commercial buildings if my city has 10 or more citizens, and another 50% if my commercial Hub have 4 or more adjacency bonus.

The +4 gold in capital bonus from 1 envoy works just as expected. The bonuses adds together and gives my capital +8 gold

Now, I don't have a Commercial Hub in my capital, but I did build one in the second city I founded. Please note that this is a city I founded myself. The bonuses here behaved completely as expected. The city has a population of 13 and the commercial Hub's adjacency bonus is 4 so the base yield of my commercial buildings are doubled from the Free Market policy. On top of this I get the +4 bonus to markets and banks from my two City-States, so the total yield for the buildings are as follows: (Base Yield) * (Free Market Multiplier) + (number of City-States) * (Gold Bonus)

Market: 2 * 2 + 2 * 4 = 12 Gold
Bank: 5 * 2 + 2 * 4 = 18 Gold
Stock Exchange: 7 * 2 + 0 = 14 Gold

Everything works as expected and one would expect the same results for a City-State I have conquered and a City I conquered from Korea, but this is not the case! It even varies between them and I see no game mechanic that should cause this. The results are as follows:

Conquered City-State (Granada): 16 population and 4 adjacency bonus

Market: 8 Gold
Bank: 14 Gold
Stock Exchange: 14 Gold

As you see here the market and bank gold are way lower than my other city, even though they should receive the exact same bonuses! There are no difference that I know of between the cities that could affect this.

When we go on to the city I conquered from Korea it gets even worse.

Conquered city from Korea (Gangneung): 12 population and 4 adjacency bonus

Market: 4 Gold
Bank: 10 Gold
Stock Exchange 14 Gold

As expected, the Stock Exchange is unaffected because it gets no bonus from the city states, but the conquered cities gets way less gold for their markets and banks than the city I founded myself. All the cities are fully loyal and problem free as far as I know.

From this very limited testing it seems that conquered city states only get half value of City-State bonuses and conquered Civilization cities get ZERO value of the bonuses. At least the math checks out from using the following formulas:

Conquered City-State: (Base Yield)*(Free Market Multiplier)+(number of City-States)*(Gold Bonus)*0.5
Market: 2 * 2 + 2 * 4 * 0.5 = 8 Gold
Bank: 5 * 2 + 2 * 4 * 0.5 = 14 Gold

Conquered Civ city: (Base Yield)*(Free Market Multiplier)+(number of City-States)*(Gold Bonus)*0
Market: 2 * 2 = 4 Gold
Bank: 5 * 2= 10 Gold

Edit: As I have further investigated it seems that different City-State bonuses apply completely inconsistently across my empire. There are no system to it that I can see, it seems random if the bonus applies or not. Some cities gets all the bonuses, others get none and some get half.

TL;DR DEVS PLEASE TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE WHOLE CITY-STATE BONUS APPLICATION THINGAMABOBBER IT'S NOT WORKING CORRECTLY thanks.

Last edited:
This is an old bug that happened with Great Scientists that added science to libraries, etc. Basically, the modifier that adjusts the yield change of buildings (I'm not at my home PC right now so I can't reference it specifically) does not seem to apply correctly to cities that were founded prior to the new owner gaining the modifier. Hopefully this bug will convince Firaxis to finally fix it.

Edit: The modifier in question is MODIFIER_PLAYER_CITIES_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_CHANGE.

I read the 229 patchnotes say "Ensured that city state suzerain bonuses are applied properly after you capture a city."

Does this mean that the issue is resolved?

Edit: Loaded up my old game and no change. Bonuses from city states not applying correctly to conquered cities. I will start a new game and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom