[R&F] [1.0.0.257] Garrison Unit Remains In Free Cities [BUG/EXPLOIT]

blackbutterfly

Emperor
Here Poland has a unit garrisoned in the free city, so it can't be taken. See game save.

(You may need the United Nations Maps Pack mod).

Attachments

• VICTORIA 193 1320 AD.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 109
Free City.png

Same thingie: allied France has a builder stuck in a free city so I can't take it.

New update new bugs... Also note free city is marked under siege falsely.
Already made quick fix for this. Just kills alien garrison on city conversion. Testing now.

Same - what's worse, it's about to flip to those scum bag Aussies ;)
If I download your fix @FearSunn will it work in this game? Or only new games going forward?

Spoiler :

20180517091818_1.jpg

This bug is pretty common, happening at least once per game, on average. It's not game breaking but v. annoying. So I nicknamed it:

The Byzantine C*¢k Block

(B'cos it reminded me of Byzantium/Theodora in Civ V who would always troll you with her infamous back-stab!) :lol:

Last edited:
Very very annoying bug, when capturing a free city is the best strategical move at the time and you cannot get in the city.

And a question on the fix mentioned above: Is it possible that adding more mods and fixes keep slowing down my games even more?

This bug catches me out all the time. Today my own garrison scouts blocked me capturing my own previously occupied free cities :rolleyes:

So this is also an exploit. You can just leave your garrison in the free city preventing anyone else from taking it until you're ready to. :cringe:

Last edited:
There is another related bug. Air units. All previuos owner air units remain stationed in flipped free city airports. This prints an error into the logs (normal players does not see it, jus "geeks"). It also shows (imho) that game developer havent tested this updated expelling code a single time. Yes, this is a very complex and big game, but... Why not to test updated code at least once before releasing it to the public? And why not to release hot fix asap? Something seriously wrong at Firaxis...

The same bug happens not only in city centres. When a friend civilization takes a free city, player's units remain on its territory and it's not possible to move them without open borders.
Spoiler :

due to loyalty pressure from my cities, a city from a major civilization revolts and turns to a free city but a support unit(supply convoy) from that civ remains stuck in that city making it impossible to capture that free city without declaring war to that civ.

Not sure I want to "fix" this. It seems like the garrison should be flipping also, especially if it's a civilian unit, just as when you capture a city with a civilian unit. Just had a neighbor city flip to me with a settler garrisoned. Would like to use it.

If the city will flip to you then that's fine. In the situation I was involved in it was a CS that I was Suzerain of that I wanted to liberate, and it was no where near my empire, so was not going to flip to me. I had to take it by force to liberate it.

Yes, this is a very complex and big game, but... Why not to test updated code at least once before releasing it to the public? And why not to release hot fix asap? Something seriously wrong at Firaxis...

Given that Loyalty was perhaps the central feature of R&F and free cities are fallout from that system this is a pretty serious bug. It isn't game breaking (like the earlier start locations bug) but it's a major killjoy.

Maybe not hotfix but a 1 month patch would be nice if this isn't so hard to fix via modding.

(Aside: as usual it's modders like @FearSunn and @BWS who save Firaxis+2K's bacon! Firaxis+2K should really credit them something for doing their job. At least a gift card or a discount on future DLC or X-pack?!)

Hey developers, FIX THIS BUG!!!!! Again and again I stand with my troops right outside a free city, and I cannot take it.

This may warrant a bug report, but I don't know if this is an issue with a known fix and I don't want it to impact my ongoing game if possible.

I've been trying to annex a once-Russian city before the Aztecs either move in or convert it naturally; the latter will now happen in three or four turns. However, while I can bombard the walls and city, and besiege it, I can't move into the city itself.

Looking up similar issues, I came across a 'garrison bug' apparently introduced in a patch this year, but the only fix I found is a mod that deletes the units when the city converts - nothing that fixes the issue once it's already converted. I'd thought this city was ungarrisoned, hence the thread title, but it looks as though this is the same issue. Is there a known fix?

Moderator Action: This appears to be a related bug, so threads merged -- Browd

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom