1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.38] Luxury connected but gives no amenities, can't trade

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by WillowBrook, Dec 7, 2016.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

(Edit: save and screenshot attached.)

I captured two cities from Norway, each had one source of whales hooked up. I wanted to trade one away, but no whales showed up on the trade screen.

I thought maybe it was because I hasn't researched sailing. So I researched it (1 turn), still no whales on the trade screen. I then checked the resources screen, and it shows I have two sources of whales, but no amenities from them. See attached screenshot.

Possibly relevant considerations:

I captured quarried marble as well, and it shows up providing the expected 4 amenities. I have no other source of marble.

When I captured Nidaros, Norway's last city, Harold appeared to complain about me settling too close; I never saw his defeat screen. But the capital captured notification showed up on the right sidebar, and Norway disappeared, as would be expected.

When I discovered the missing amenities, I completely exited the game and reloaded, nothing changed. I've played about 10 more turns and still no amenities from my captured whales.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Exodite

Exodite Chieftain

Could be related to the issues regarding settling on a luxury resource.

Basically if you gain access to a resource before having the tech that unlocks its use you won't get access to it, ever.

Settling your first city on, say, marble and you're out of luck. Researching mining and then settling a city on marble gives you the resource.

I would assume the same holds true for capturing cities.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Thanks, sounds like it may be along those lines. There's another unconnected source of whales I'll try to connect soon; I'll update as to whether they behave properly.

Updated opening post with save and screenshot.

Edit: I hooked up another source of whales and it behaves normally, giving me 4 amenities and available to trade. The other two sources continue to show up in the resources screen but are not available to trade.

It just occurred to me I should try removing the nets and making them again on the whales that are misbehaving. I'll try tomorrow and update.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Update: I tried removing the nets from one of the misbehaving whales and laying new ones. The number of whales on the resources screen decreased by one and then went back up with the new nets but the whales were still not available to trade.

So just like the settling-on-luxury bug, it seems that the resource is gone forever if you acquire it already hooked up before you have the necessary tech to access it.

6. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

This is a symptom of a tightly restrictive design philosophy that tests things (yields and amenities in this case) once and never again. In this case, there are at least two conditions where re-testing should be done, when a luxury resource unlocking technology is completed and when a luxury improvement is completed. Even this is not being done.

All resources probably have independent accessibility, active flags (or something similar). If a Luxury is connected before the unlocking technology, the Luxury is flagged as accessible, but not active. When the unlocking technology is completed, all resources unlocked by it should be reset to active.

My point is the restrictive design philosophy is at fault. If one is going to be restrictive, more checks are going to be required. If any of those checks are omitted when they should occur, serious bugs that greatly irritate the user/player are the result. There is no excuse for something so trivial to have such a huge impact on player enjoyment.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    WillowBrook likes this.
  7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

This may have even bigger impact: I can imagine it would be quite annoying, if you by chance happen to settle on an important late-game resource like Uranium that you can't see yet at the time of settling... :( It'll be gone for ever, and if it's the only one available to you, you have basically wasted hundreds of turns, before the effect of the bug becomes visible to you...

8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Oh, yes, hadn't thought about that. Although, most resources that aren't visible initially are connected through mining, which you get pretty early, likely before a second city. I've had such resources (e.g., coal, niter) connect automatically if they happen to be under a city center or district (but ones that were built after mining was discovered).

Also I haven't gone back to see if the bug is fixed with the latest patch.