[1.0.0.38] Promise to move troops on the border

Zaapp1

Chieftain
If you make a promise to move troops on the border of another Civ's territory and then agree to Open Borders with them, you'll still be penalized for breaking the promise. This has happened with a couple of different civs in multiple games so far. This led to a once-friendly civ denouncing me specifically for breaking a promise, even though the "move troops" promise shouldn't matter after opening borders.

This whole thing is extremely annoying.
You still get the warning and penalties with Open Borders, so WTF is the point of OB?

Worse, I get the warning, say sorry, and move any offending troups away. Then, several turns later, one unit on a go-to wanders past their border, and wham I'm hit with a broken promise.

Still a problem in Australian Summer Patch. I've been playing peacefully. I sent three troops down to fight a nest of barbarians to satisfy a city-state mission, within 5 squares. My troops stayed several squares away from Pedro's borders. While I'm getting that done, he founds a new city, boxing in my troops, and asks me to stay away from his borders. I apologize and negotiate an open borders deal which he grants. When the troops leave through the city-state which I'm now suzerain of, but now next to his new border, wham, broken diplomatic promise, -6 points. Reload and try going through his new land instead of the city state, same thing. One can ignore the request and take a -3 penalty for it instead (and possible additional points for treading near the border), but no penalty should be necessary when a deal has been struck.

Making an open borders agreement should reset the promise to stay away from the borders to 0, as if it was never requested or granted. (Besides, what you say when apologizing is that your troops are merely passing through, implying that you're not about to attack the other civ. I could see hitting you with a broken promise penalty if you then attacked--in addition to a warmongering penalty--but sometimes geography limits your ability to get them away immediately.)

Last edited:
From my current game just now [1.0.0.110(253607)]:

20170321113003_1.jpg
20170321113033_1.jpg

Ummm - we have open borders you numbskull ;)

Maybe the devs could add that as a fourth choice: "Ummm - we have open borders you numbskull." /heh

//wouldn't have helped me, though, because I just got the penalty without a second opportunity to explain

One thing I am finding infuriating with this, is that the game cannot tell when you have moved your units away, and brought them back later. i.e. I'm going to war with Civ X. Civ Y -who sits between me and Civ X- asks what I'm doing with my troops near their cities. I honestly reply that I am passing by. Of course, sometimes that promise is still being tested (it would seem) when I bring my troops back past heading home after their campaign. I am deemed to have broken my promise even though the troops have been gone for the majority of the time in between and once again are just passing by.
I guess if the moderate this, some people will exploit it...but it's annoying none the less to get a negative modifier for breaking a promise; when you actually did nothing of the sort.

Does anyone know how far away you have to move them to avoid breaking the promise? I just got hit with this. Traded for open borders after the demand to move. And moved my troops away. There's a minimum one tile gap between my closest unit, who really was just passing through, and their border. Do I have to be in the next time zone or something?

Top Bottom