1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.56] Agoge not speeding up Spearman build

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by Kid-Simple, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Kid-Simple

Kid-Simple Chieftain

If i use the "Agoge" policy, it takes just as long to build a Spearman as it does without the policy in effect. Archers and Warriors both build faster however. It seems like a bug that it does not help to build the Spearman faster, since it is a melee unit.

If it matters, i am playing as Trajan and am still in the ancient era. My city produces 9.4 hammers and when running Agoge it takes 7 turns to build a Spearman (65 hammers), 4 turns to build an Archer (50 hammers), and 3 turns to build a Warrior (40 hammers). You can see the math shows that Agoge isn't helping the Spearman at all.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Spearmen are not melee units. They engage in melee-like combat, but they are anti-cavalry units.

3. Kid-Simple

Kid-Simple Chieftain

They should change the description in the Civilopedia, because right now it says, "Ancient era melee unit that's effective against mounted units." Really makes it sound like a melee unit.

I see what you mean now though, "Promotion class: Anti-Cavalry". Thank you.

4. friedmad

friedmad Civaholic

Build time was 8 turns then I switched civic to Agoge which should have shaved 50% off the build time. the build time did not change for spearman, but did for archer, even though both are ancient melee or ranged units.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Actually spearman is not a melee unit, as defined by the game. May be counterintuitive (since the combat they engage in is melee-like and Civilopedia casually refers to them as melee), but they are anti-cavalry class, not melee class.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing Bug Report thread