1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1.0.1.141 Civilopedia error: Both parties need Tech X for Diplo option Y

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs' started by Grifftavian, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

I might have found a Bug: I was replaying the start of TSG5, sent the Jag on a bee-line to El Dorado (since I knew where it was :rolleyes: ) and got the 500 gold bonus for finding it first.

Shortly thereafter, I encounter a Chinese Unit, and in the trade negotiations window, I can sign a Research Agreement with China (which I did), even though I didn't have Philosophy, and I doubt China had it that early in the game!

Unless that is another bonus from finding El Dorado first, I think it must be a Bug in the latest patch (ver. 1.0.1.141).

EDIT: not a bug after all, I was misled by the Civilopedia. Thanks to EndoConvert to clarifying this for me!

2. EndoConvert

EndoConvert Warlord

How do you know China didn't have Philosophy? There are any number of ways China might have gotten it early: tech acceleration from difficulty level, beelining, goody huts, etc.

3. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

Well, I don't know for sure if they had it or not, but both parties to the RA need to have philosophy, do they not?

4. EndoConvert

EndoConvert Warlord

No. Only one side needs to have Philosophy to sign an RA, just like only one side needs to have Writing to sign open borders.

5. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

The Civilopedia says both parties must have Philosophy for a Research Agreement (see attached screen shot). The English version of the game manual says the same thing on page 114.

6. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Can you post the save game?

7. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

Attached is an autosave from when I was replaying the game; diplomacy screen shows the research agreement with China started on turn 26. Not sure if anyone can determine anything from this. IF I get a chance, I'll try to recreate the same situation.

8. EndoConvert

EndoConvert Warlord

The Civilopedia is unreliable and in this case wrong, like it is wrong about many, many things. Only one side needs Philosophy to trade RAs.

Here is my tech tree for this save game (1.0.1.135, with all DLC civs):

Spoiler :

I have neither Writing (for Open Borders) nor Philosophy (for RAs). Yet when I visit Genghis in the diplomacy screen:

Spoiler :

both the Open Borders and Research Agreement options are lit up because Genghis has the necessary techs. By contrast, when I visit Augustus, who has neither Writing nor Philosophy:

Spoiler :

the RA option is dimmed; also, notice that the tooltip says,

which implies that only one player needs to have the tech.

You will often get offered OB or RA by other civs even when you do not yet have the tech. Not having to spend time researching Philosophy and letting the other civs do it for you to get RAs is a frequently-used strat at higher difficulties.

Attached Files:

9. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

OK, thanks Endo! I was misled by the Civilopedia & game manual. :mad:

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Thread renamed + moved to confirmed bugs.