1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] [1.0.1.501] Deforestation Bug: 0% to 50% in 1 turn

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by MrRadar, Jun 16, 2020.

1. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

There's something broken with Climate Change now, similar behavior in all post-NFP games so far.

This game was played on normal mode (no Apocalypse) and no mods, all DLC and expansions included.

T277, phase III, deforestation 0%:
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

T278, phase IV, deforestation 50%, and I have enough Climate Change points to go up one phase a turn for two turns in a row, and the "Next melt of polar ice expected" forecast at the bottom is completely off:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I'm attaching a few save files in case they can help.

Attached Files:

Pfeffersack likes this.
  2. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

This bug is still present in v1.0.2.39:

Spoiler :
    DeforestationExtremeNoEffect.jpg

Spoiler :
    DeforestationExtreme50PercentIncreaseEffect.jpg

To reproduce with the attached save:

1. Have a look at the deforestation level and its effect on CO2 emissions. It is labeled as "extreme", but has 0% impact on the emissions. Also have a look on the current lvl of climate change (IV) and the prediction when the climate change is supposed to progress again (in 11 turns)
    2. End the turn
    3. Check the deforestation level again. The label is still "extreme", but now suddenly increases CO2 emissions by 50% - and the game has already progressed to climate change level V because of this - with the next increase being only 2 turns away
    (4. Progress a few turns to hit lvl VI and VII of climate change in almost no time)

Attached Files:

3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Still occuring in v1.0.3.31:

Spoiler :

DeforestationLevelT211.jpg
    DeforestationLevelT212.jpg

Attached Files:

MrRadar likes this.
  4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

It seems to me it might just be a case of the UI needing to properly update between turns. I've experienced the same and similar issues in my own climate mod. It's a bit frustrating at times to make sure everything is working properly.

5. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Could you elbaborate, why you think it could be UI-only? My pre-NFP experience was that deforestation had several levels with different labels and percentages (IIRC, apart from the starting level with 0% impact on CO2 emissions, a 10% level, but for sure a 30% one and than in the end 50% for the most serious deforestation level). The CO2 output was constantly multiplied with that percentage, so unless you had one of the "steps" (e.g. from 30 to 50%) you could take that factor in account for your plans.

Since NFP, you immediately get from no to "extrem" deforestation, but the % stays at 0 for a long time. Then suddenly the percentage increase to 50% and has impact on climate change (see my example from 1.0.2.39, where this leads to almost two climate changes phases happening instantly, because of the CO2 levels suddenly getting multiplied by 1.5).

Since you have modded climate already, could you perhaps have a look on the unmodded files to see how it is intended and if possible why deforestation behaves so strange recently? Thank you :)

MrRadar likes this.
  6. Laurana Kanan

I don't know if I can explain it very well, but there are two different tables at play here. The first is DeforestationLevels. Depending on the level of deforestation points are awarded per turn. In your example, it's 'Extreme', which is after 40% deforestation happens. At that point, 5 deforestation points per turn are added to an internal counter. It's points are different for each level (e.g. for 'Expected' it's between 10% & 25% and adds only 1 deforestation point per turn).

This internal counter is divided by the number of turns played and spits out an average number of points per turn. This then is taken by the second table DeforestationEffects and applies a CO2 percent modifier. In your first image it's 0%, which would equate to an average of <=1. In the second image, at 50%, which would equate to an average >3.

So you could be at greater than 40% deforestation (Extreme), earning 5 points per turn, but until the average points rises above 1, you'll still be at a 0% CO2 modifier. So it's kind of a delayed reaction and won't show in the UI yet if that makes sense. What I assume in your example is that between those two turns the average jumped from <=1 to >3.

Anyway, that's is how I understand the mechanic. I could be wrong about parts, or even most of it. But, in my mod I've mostly succeeded in smoothing out the transitions I think. Now whether the mechanic is working correctly I can't say for sure, I haven't played a full game since the before the June update. There may be something wonky going on.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  7. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Pretty complex, but after reading a few times, I understood your explanation - and I think you are at least really close to how it works in game. My game took an interesting progress - it happened the first time for me that suddenly the deforestation effect on emissions dropped again - from 50% to 30% (though the displayed deforestation level hasn't changed):
    Spoiler :

T255ExtremeDeforestation50%Effect.jpg
    T256ExtremeDeforestation30%Effect.jpg

So at least it's no one-way, but I wonder if that has been just an effect of the formula you described and/or my planting of a few new forests over the last couple of turns had an effect. Still the sharp increase before feels strange and the UI is not really helpful here - the tooltip is just not available, as long as there are no emissions.

To reproduce with the attached save:

Check deforestation/CO2, end turn, check again

Attached Files:

8. bonfireg

bonfireg Chieftain

I think it is actually a bug. Unless the number of deforestation points increases by an amount more than double the number of turns played it is impossible for the average to go from less than 1 to greater than 3 in one turn.

Also, is it meant for the deforestation modifier to be applied to total cumulative global emissions or is it supposed to just apply to current/future emissions?

9. Laurana Kanan

I don't think we can say either way at this point since the specifics (i.e. formula) of how the mechanic works can only be deduced through observation and dissecting the code that is exposed. As far as my explanation, it's a possibility that the total deforestation points is divided not by the number of turns played, but the number of turns since CO2 emissions are first emitted.
    It's applied to whatever the current level of total global CO2 emissions is.

10. bonfireg

bonfireg Chieftain

I've been paying close attention to the deforestation in my games and I've noticed the "deforestation level" is being shown as "Extreme" the entire game. The modifier being applied is 0% until suddenly it is 50%. This has happened every game no matter how much or how little I am chopping.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  11. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

This bug is still present in version 1.0.8.4
    The behaviour remains unchanged. Deforestation "Extreme" from the start, then at some point deforestation factor goes from 0% to 50%, speeding the last climate change phases, which then happen turn after turn.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Pfeffersack likes this.