1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.1.501]Looks like Fascism bug is back

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by Infixo, May 29, 2020.

1. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Before the Gathering Storm AIs mostly chose Fascism due to some bug in the scoring. I posted a bug report on that. This bug was fixed in GS and AIs chose also other govs. Now it looks like the bug is back and again AIs looove Fascism.

It manifests as an unusally high scoring for CIVIC_TOTALITARIANISM in the logs. Here's are some examples from my current game.

259, 6, Civic, CIVIC_SUFFRAGE, 8016.4, 9
    259, 6, Civic, CIVIC_TOTALITARIANISM, 14342.9, 8
    259, 6, Civic, CIVIC_CLASS_STRUGGLE, 5243.9, 13

261, 2, Civic, CIVIC_SUFFRAGE, 7854.9, 24
    261, 2, Civic, CIVIC_TOTALITARIANISM, 13585.9, 19
    261, 2, Civic, CIVIC_CLASS_STRUGGLE, 2737.8, 20

261, 5, Civic, CIVIC_SUFFRAGE, 1068.5, 21
    261, 5, Civic, CIVIC_TOTALITARIANISM, 7755.0, 17
    261, 5, Civic, CIVIC_CLASS_STRUGGLE, 1701.4, 17

There are also examples of just plain math problems.
    260, 2, Civic, CIVIC_SUFFRAGE, -7972639.5, 27
    260, 2, Civic, CIVIC_TOTALITARIANISM, 5878344.0, 22
    260, 2, Civic, CIVIC_CLASS_STRUGGLE, 5866815.5, 23

Previous post
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/fixed-1-0-0-262-fascism-bug.640453/

2. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Has this been fixed? I'm no coder, but if I look at the goverment distribution among the AI in my current game with 1.0.3.31, there is a pretty serious leaning towards Fascism. Out of 17 AI civs still alive we have in T266:

7x Fascism
    4x Synthetic Technocracy
    3x Autocracy
    2x Monarchy
    1x Theocracy

My first game since Ethiopia release with CdM looked no different - of the tier 3 govs, almost always Fascism is choosen.

Attached Files:

3. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@Pfeffersack
    If you want to just check the results in-game, then you'd probably need more than 1 game. What you posted is suspicious but not conclusive. My report was based on checking the values in the policies.log. As you can see they are clearly wrong, including some insane values. I also checked values in the log after disabling part of the gov features that imho is the culprit.

8housesofelixir and hhhhhh like this.
  4. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Where can I find this policies.log?

5. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Same place as all other logs, <user>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs. But the name may be different, like AI_Civics.log or AI_Policies.log, I don't remember atm.

Edit. Log name is AI_GovtPolicies.csv.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

Had a look into the policies log for the most recent 40 turns of my current game (mostly industrial era).

The AI usually stays in T1 governments way too long (industrial and modern era, had observed this in other games before), preferably in Oligarchy. They even did switches to other early governments. It's not that they can't upgrade to T2 (religious civs occasionally go theocratic), they just prefer not to.

Also, they pretty consistently overrate military cards, especially Total war (pillaging yields), Limes (faster walls), Military Research.

Now Korea just got Third Alternative (which is Fascism only) and scored it very high immediately (>10000 points, next highest policy has about 4000). So there might be a start for an explanation - though Korea still stayed in Classical Republic in this case.

8housesofelixir and hhhhhh like this.
  7. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Haven't look into the log, but I personally assume that AI's policy card preference is for game balance? High difficulty AI already have percentage-based Science/Culture/Faith bonuses, and if they prefer Rationalism and Five-Year Plan on that basis, the AI advantage can be too much.

8. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

I don't think it's necessary to make AI worse to "balance" especially for high difficulties. People can always choose a lower difficulty.

The problem of AI not using much Tier 2 Gov. seems to be that they tend to ignore leaf civic. Tier 1 Gov. doesn't have this problem.

9. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yeah, I have to agree with the latter. It's a non sequitor to nerf AI behavior so everybody can manage Deity. You make a Deity under the premise that most folks can't beat it.

Rationalism is less valuable to the AI because because they're so bad at setting up adjacency bonuses. On the other hand, the AI loves to slash-and-burn to create farms, so they usually can swing the pop requirement. So, still no excuse for it to not pump the gas on science when it can.

Usually Theocracy and T2 and Fascism at T3. I had a tight game with Maya that I played out over a couple weeks, and Blue Sky stayed neck-and-neck with me right up until the end in beakers per turn. I'm not sure how her tiny eight or so cities was able to match my mega-empire, but she pulled it off. She took Democracy and Synthetic Technocracy and really feared losing because I was lazy about spaceporting. She build one in almost every city. And then did not run any laser projects. SMH. Oh well, I won with a DV before it would have mattered anyway.

So the preference for Fascism has nothing to do with the AI being way more certain to have that boost, givne its tendency to go overboard with encampments and all things military (aircraft exceptedt)?

10. Haig

Haig Deity

Any idea about this? Do they still choose mostly Fascism?

Also do you know if Firaxis devs read this forum? I belive they do but is there confirmation?

11. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

They are almost always searching this forum. They don't always post, but they are here. Sometimes they will. They have even posted on other media, referencing stuff said here.

look for people with "fxs_" before their name. Those are the Firaxians.

12. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

1.0.5.11 example with 7 out of 11 AIs being facist (rest: 2x Monarchy, 1x Classical Republic, 1x Oligarchy)

Attached Files:

13. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Had a Spain game under the 1.0.5.11 update, Terra map, King difficulty. 6 out of 7 AIs were Fascist.

Don't have the save file at the moment; will check the logs in the future.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  14. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Warlord

Absolutely - could not agree more. Learning to beat this on Deity regularly is my main goal - I can win just about every time on any start in Emperor mode, but Deity beats me 4 times out of every 5 starts.

steveg700 likes this.