[NFP] [1.0.10.15] Culture Industry 999+ production on specialty districts [solved by Leader Pass update Dec 15 2022]

I don't think it's a good idea to update bug thread titles with a newer version number if the bug is still present. Changing the title makes it appear as if it's a newly introduced bug rather than an ongoing issue. It's helpful to know when a bug is first introduced and then track it's progression from version to version. A new post to the thread with the current version number and that the bug is unresolved should suffice.

I runned into this with 1.0.12.9 and was able to track down the moment it happened; interesting is though that in my case it only triggers if you change two completely unrelated policy cards before ending the turn (while leaving the Cultural industry one as suspected culprit slotted and untouched) - just ending the turn isn't enough :crazyeye:
Spoiler :

SpecialDistrictBuildingsCostBeforeEndingTurn.jpg

ChangePolicyCards.jpg

SpecialDistrictBuildingsCostNextTurn.jpg

To reproduce with the attached save:

1. After loading check that I have "normal" building costs/times for special districts
2. Check that the Cultural Industry policy is slotted
3. Replace Triangular Trade with Sky Scrapers
4. End turn
5. Check building costs/times for special districts again and see that the game now has fallen victim to the 999-turns-bug
(6. Just in case you want to double-check my finding that the policy change under 3. is necessary for triggering it here: Load save again, end turn and see that building costs/times for special districts are still "normal")

Attachments

• 1.0.12.9CultInd999TurnsSpecDistr.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
The moment I used Culture Industry card, all specialty districts received a "hidden" -75% production.
Turn 171: city has 33.7 production, district costs 403 but it takes 47 turns to complete instead of 13 turns.
Turn 172: Culture Industry is removed, now it takes forever to build.

Patch 1.0.12.9

Attachments

• turn 171.jpg
    turn 171.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 89
  • turn 172.jpg
    turn 172.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 97
  • AutoSave_0171.Civ6Save
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
  • AutoSave_0172.Civ6Save
    3.8 MB · Views: 86
I encountered this bug today as well. Any way to resolve the issue? Does reloading to before the bug help?

I encountered this bug today as well. Any way to resolve the issue? Does reloading to before the bug help?
Yes, reloading earlier save is the only solution. However we do not know whenever AI use that policy card. They may never build spaceport due to the bug.

This is my second time experiencing this bug, and in both cases I also noticed an issue with archaeology / artifacts: My archaeologist can dig up artifacts endlessly, but they don't appear in the museum. They just disappear from the game. I don't know if this is directly related to this bug (I can't see why it would be?) but I'm wondering if others noticed the same issue. Is Culture Industry causing both problems, or did I happen to find the same bug in both games?

This is my second time experiencing this bug, and in both cases I also noticed an issue with archaeology / artifacts: My archaeologist can dig up artifacts endlessly, but they don't appear in the museum. They just disappear from the game. I don't know if this is directly related to this bug (I can't see why it would be?) but I'm wondering if others noticed the same issue. Is Culture Industry causing both problems, or did I happen to find the same bug in both games?

That's a separate bug.
It's when the archaeologist is built/purchased from a city without a Museum. (So the artifact goes to the wrong place and appears to disappear).

Just encountered this bug for the first time. It's ruined a game I was really enjoying. :-(

That's a separate bug.
It's when the archaeologist is built/purchased from a city without a Museum. (So the artifact goes to the wrong place and appears to disappear).

How can you even DO that (purchase/build an Archaeologist without the Museum being built first, I mean)

I stopped playing in January because this bug totally destroys the game for me. I figured it would be fixed by now but alas the game is still bugged and unplayable.

Attachments

• SEONDEOK 273 1804 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
This defect reared its ugly head in my game yesterday. In this thread, I get the impression that the code implementing this civic has been a bug-nest since 2016. Because I'm pretty sure that 2K is still putting at least *a little* resource into QA on this aging codebase, and since I still enjoy playing the game, I documented my case fully and uploaded many savefiles and screenshots to 2K Support in a zipfile. With any luck that'll help them localise the defect and then (let's hope!) finally do an adequate job of either repairing this civic or (at minimum) deleting it from the game. Currently: I think this civic is best described as an "attractive nuisance" whose damage is cumulative and ultimately fatal to your civilization unless you're in the late stages of a game where you don't really need to build more specialty districts to win. The only recovery is to revert to a manually-saved file unless perchance you happen to notice the damage caused by this civic in its first ten turns.

Here's the text of my defect-report to 2K:

--

I have attached a zipfile with screenshots, a spreadsheet, and relevant savefiles.

The Turn data in my spreadsheet is unreliable, as I had recorded this information only in the name of the screenshot, and apparently made some mistakes in this. However the pattern is clear: the Culture Industry civic imposes a "production penalty" (as calculated in my spreadsheet with upper-bounding and lower-bounding estimates) which grows over time (possibly: increasing every time a new district-construction project is started). See e.g. Diosgyor in turn 195, with its 19.3 production per year on an industrial zone that's currently 52/262 complete, and an estimated time-to-completion of 45 years -- but apparently making no actual progress toward the completion of this zone, as in turn 194 the zone was also 52/262 complete with an estimated time-to-completion of 21 years.

The closest match to this defect that I was able to find in civfanatics when I searched yesterday is https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...999-production-on-specialty-districts.667936/.

I'm running v1.0.12.9 (564030). The only community-created content that was enabled during this game is Tomatekh's Historical Religions. At some point in the past, I had downloaded and enabled Sukritact's Thomas Jefferson (America) and Yet (not) Another Maps Pack, but they weren't enabled during this game (and I haven't enabled them for many months). Some months ago I was unable to launch Civ6 using Steam; I found a workaround online which I only vaguely remember -- my best guess is that I had adjusted the Launch Options, which are currently

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

--

Below is a snapshot from my spreadsheet. There had been significant cumulative damage from this defective civic in the turns 179-195, but it didn't threaten my winning strategy -- until it became catastrophic in turn 195. Fortunately I had created a manual savefile in turn 178 so can restart from there... but reparing a previously-winnable game by slogging through maybe a thousand nearly-mindless mouseclicks is not a pleasant gaming experience for me ;-)
upload_2021-7-15_10-11-21.jpeg

After going three rounds with a lev-1 support rep, I think my defect report is *finally* gonna make it to lev-2 support. Then again, maybe not... I was pretty annoyed and let them know what I thought of their defect-reporting system after I went to the trouble of reproducing the defect yet-again in order to collect logfiles (which is a reasonable request -- but why didn't they ask for these earlier?) and wading through irrelevant info on what I should do whenever Civ6 is crashing, freezing, or emitting error messages somewhere I can see them. Here's my rant FYI:

--

I'd suggest: you put some effort into devising a more user-friendly way for someone to report a defect with a game. I do understand that you have many different games, but I hope you will understand (after reviewing this ticket) why I believe it to have been a huge waste of my time to have your response to a defect report to be a series of requests for additional information -- some almost-certainly irrelevant (e.g. for a dmp or mdmp file in the case of this defect) and one requiring me to reproduce the defect yet-again in order to gather information which I would happily have provided if you had given me a full list of the information you'd require on a case for this sort of defect in this particular game. In other words: meet your users halfway on this please, as I reckon we're doing you a favour by reporting the defect in the first place, a second favour by responding to your request for additional information which we could have provided in the first place if we had known you'd want it on *every* defect report for this game, and a third favour by going a third-round with a first-level support agent -- who is just doing his job, I'm sure, as you apparently have very strict rules on what must be included in a defect report.

As a starting point: your first-level support reps shouldn't be pointing people at https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009266794--PC-General-Troubleshooting-for-2K-Games unless they are reporting a defect that involves a crash, freeze, or an error message. I'm pretty sure that the only relevant information in that page -- in the case of the defect I'm reporting here -- is that (of course) you'll want the defect to be reproduced in a game without any 3rd-party mods. My case isn't entirely "clean" in this respect, as I had found (to my surprise, and as documented in my originally-submitted defect report) that there was a third-party mod enabled during the game which produced the save-file series in my defect-report. I think it really unlikely that "Tomatekh's Historical Religions" is causing your code to exhibit the defect I'm reporting -- and I'll leave it to your QA team to determine whether or not they agree with this assessment.
I had seen this defect (of very low-production cities) in a previous game (which I was able to win within a few turns, even though these cities were so crippled) and when this defect appeared again I found https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...999-production-on-specialty-districts.667936/ -- which gave me the hypothesis that its root cause might be in the coding of the Culture Industry civic... so I took the trouble to take many screenshots and to construct a spreadsheet to experimentally validate this hypothesis. A code inspection would, I think, suffice to localise.., but I have already done more than enough unpaid work for 2k Support! I'll move on to more pleasant and rewarding activities; and I very much doubt I'll ever again attempt to report a defect. (I vaguely recall having similar difficulties when reporting a previous defect, but I have a poor memory ;-)

Good news from lev-1 2k support:

Thank you again for your patience and for sharing this with us!

I wanted to let you know that the report has been received and documented, so the development team has been notified of this issue and are currently working toward a solution.

As you can imagine this is not the first report they received about this so I want to assure you that they are actually working on it!
I had been very annoyed; but then decided to relax into the humour of it... it's just a misbehaving feature in a game, after all, not a life-threatening defect in medical software or an enterprise-threatening defect in business software... so I included a couple of memes and an only vaguely-relevant personal story in my response to their request for screenshots:

0vva3sr4pnq61.jpg

r_1366926_vGCmC.jpg

https://devrant.com/rants/1366926/qa-vs-devs, https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/mi954l/easier_than_submitting_a_bug_report/

Their response:

And again, thank you for taking your time to document and send us all this info! It really helps us a lot and we appreciate it (as we did appreciate the memes and story).

Top Bottom