[1.0.2.44] Knight getting defensive bonus?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TPQ, Apr 22, 2013.

1. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Hi all,

Just noticed this in a recent game.

You can see that the Aztec Night is getting a +30% open terrain defence bonus, but the Civilopedia states that Knights do not receive any defensive bonuses.

Did I miss something in an update, or is this a bug?

Thanks!

EDIT: This is G&Ks btw.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Mounted units do not get terrain-based defensive bonuses (i.e., +25 in forest, jungle, hill), but can earn defensive promotions like any other melee unit.

3. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

"Open Terrain Defense Bonus" is a "Defensive Terrain Bonus" which the civilopedia says Knights don't get. The Civilopedia states specifically "No Defensive Terrain Bonus" for the Knight. It seems clear cut to me. The terrain bonus should only count when the Knight attacks another unit, not when it's being attacked itself.

I'm quite confused by this as I've always understood it to be that on defense, units like Knights only get their base strength + adjacency + great general etc, but all terrain bonus modifiers are ignored. Units like Knights should only be able to use their terrain modifier bonuses on attacking another unit, not when defending from an attack.

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

OK. Then what you observed must not have happened. Problem solved.

5. Ranos

Ranos King

The defense bonus that mounted units don't receive is the fortifiaction bonus and any basic bonuses from terrain, features and improvements. Any defensive bonuses granted from promotions would still apply because they aren't a defense only bonus, they are a general bonus.

The concept is that foot soldiers can dig in and use terrain to their advantage. Mounted units can't. Their fighting style doesn't allow them to hide in a trench or behind trees. However the drill and shock promotions aren't about hiding and defending. They are using the terrain to their advantage while fighting. So while the knight can't hide in the tall grass, he has trained to use the flat terrain to his advantage.

This is working as it should and not a bug.

6. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

While it is certainly possible that nothing exists outside of myself, I doubt this issue is a metaphysical one. Seems to me it's more a matter of semantics. "No" in the "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" means none, zero, nothing, but in reality, the Civilopedia should read "Fewer Defensive Terrain Bonuses", as the unit most definitely receives a defensive terrain bonus, despite the Civilopedia saying it receives none.

Thanks for trying though.

Yep, looks like I was being confused by an unclear Civilopedia entry. I read "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" and then saw the unit getting a "Defensive Terrain Bonus" and saw a contradiction, but looks like it's just not explained well in the Civilopedia.

Thanks for your response.