1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1/11 - State of Naval

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Stalker0, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I do think the Galleasses could use +1 movement. Honestly the ship is already pretty hard countered by the caravel due the biggest mobility difference (deep water vs shallow), so I think the extra speed will allow it to leverage its scoot and shoot a bit more.

Heinz_Guderian likes this.
  2. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Throwing in something here - in Vanilla, wasn't the Missile Cruiser the upgrade to the Battleship? It seems odd that the melee ship line ends at the Missile Cruiser, which is one upgrade more than the ranged line, which ends with the Battleship. The weakness at this point for the Battleship is pretty evident and I sense the need for another ship.

3. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

The carrier with Jets should be the replacement, but Jet ground strike is still lacking. Battleships get mothballed.

You can also use guided missiles in your missile cruisers for a ranged attack.

4. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Eh Guided Missiles I've used twice ever...even if cheap, it's not worth an expended unit and the production when I have dozens of coastal units to attack, cities to crush, and need sustainability. I don't see this as a solution.

5. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

Guided missiles not being usable is more of a problem then battleships not having a replacement.

6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Its not there usability per say and more the difference between the human and AI models. Humans just can't afford to throw away units and stay competitive, further the human relies on high promotion units to get their force multiplier.

Honestly though missiles are great for the AI if they really put them to work. If the devs really want to show diety players what's up, just have the AI build a swarm of missiles, and systematically assassinate every high level unit in the human player's army....muhaha.

But I do use missiles on occasion to take out a strong city garrison (remember that missiles ignore the city and attack the garrison directly). Its a cool feature, though I agree it only sees use once in a while.

If you want to mirror the consumable model for missiles but still had them work for the human, what you could do is....when the missile fires it takes 99 damage (but returns to the origin spot just like a plane). So it needs lots rebuilding time but otherwise is not lost. Its harder on the believability scale, but then it becomes a weapon humans might consider.

7. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

It's not self-evident to me how you could ever fix the guided missile problem, though. It will either never be worth it for humans, or if you make it so that they are, they will be so powerful for AIs and their bonus yields that the human could never win. I'd say remove it and add a new ranged naval unit.