1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1.15 Babylon Whining

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by cmakk1012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Since you so generously suggested this ;)

I did use the UP and Oracle and rushed Arithmetics and Writing before turn 50. I think it was my Production focus that was wrong. Actually, what’s the best build order after Worker?

2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Granary, Oracle, Edibu, Hanging Gardens, troops/second worker. I never bother with second settler. At some point it is worth to build the Ishtar Gate...

But I think we already had a Babylone guide?

1SDAN likes this.
  3. Logoncal

Logoncal Chieftain

Try getting the pyramids for Great Engineer, hope to god that you get one and then bulb Construction when possible.

4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I used to go for Egypt's wonders but it delays Gardens and therefore population. Both goals has to be kept in mind at all times...

5. Autumn Leaf

Autumn Leaf Since 1992

Actually that's my own biggest beef with DoC 1.15. It's one thing for the player to play around with the Wonders, but on 3000 BC starts I usually see AI-built Pyramids in Babylon and Hanging Gardens in Niwt-Rst. That's just ... wrong. Something is out of whack there.

6. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Hm, I see two Babylon guides: this one which uses more cheese than there is in Switzerland; and this one here. Neither is actually a real guide or a playthrough I would use.

Nothing against cheese - I cheesed a lot in original RFC, but this modmod is supposed to simulate closer to history. My critique is that harrassing Egypt and China, so that they don't spoil your UHV, is not a viable strategy if you want a somewhat historical game. I do collect persian and ionian huts with my initial militia (not that it matters in the outcome), but that's about leaving my historical frame.

So: Babylon, Regent, Normal, DoC 1.15
    How to beat it? No idea.

My bad experiences with both Egypt and Phoenicians/Carthage on Monarch had made me wary, so this one I tried in Regent. I was still clobbered.

My approach was: Get a worker out, improve in that order: Stone, Marble, Sheep, Wheat (which was accessible early thanks to a forest fire, in several starts actually). Afterwards or as an alternative to the wheat, I'd suggest building farms or cottages. It doesn't matter, I guess.

Tech-wise, I rank the techs in tiers - early ancient is tier 1, late ancient is tier 3. Task is to get (3) Calendar, (3) Construction, (3) Writing, (3) Arithmetics and (4) Contract, each of them first. Thus we need all four remaining (1) techs, six (2) and four (3), plus one (4).
    At the start, all (1) techs need 9 turns each, with more population in Babylon this goes down to 7. The (2) techs need 12 turns, which goes down to 11 and even 10. The (3) techs need 15 turns, which goes down to 12 turns.

The deadline we have is turn 42-50 for construction (whenever Qin Shi Huang researches it) and turn 50 for Writing and Arithmetics (when the Greece appear). This is just not feasible, even counting four freebies from the UP and two freebies from the Oracle. Great People don't figure in here: too early for them, even Egypt can only produce them by turn 60.

I have tried several combinations, mostly using four 1-techs for four free 2-techs, but also 2-techs for 3-techs. The gist is to get the three mentioned above, which require the entire spectrum of prereq techs.

The Oracle itself is often built by the AI (China or Egypt) between 42 and 50.