1.16 - Spanish strategy

This phase of the game is the most exciting: i'm completing colonization of SA, and i'm fighting a religius war in Europe.
With cursor going from a continent to the other one, following active units is very easy to forget an action and make a mistake.
Let's split two scenaries:

South America:
Spoiler :

Army got with conquerors event is enough to complete colonization without any loss. Step by step. No hurry.
It is more important to convert cities than conquer them. Cultural action of citadels and religion is enough to cover those silver sources in the other part of Andes.

Attachments

• SP South America.JPG
    SP South America.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 730
  • SP South America2.JPG
    SP South America2.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 737
In the meantime, in Europe...

I used an inquisitor to remove Protestantism from Bordeaux before give it back to France
Spoiler :

Army from Brest landed in England, conquer Plymouth, and this is the result.
Spoiler :

24% of Catholicism in the world. Target is 30%. Easy deal.

Attachments

• SP Remove protestantism.JPG
    SP Remove protestantism.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 742
  • SP England Catholicism.JPG
    SP England Catholicism.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 728
  • SP Convert London.JPG
    SP Convert London.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 733
  • SP Catholicism in Europe.JPG
    SP Catholicism in Europe.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 732
  • SP Catholicism 24%.JPG
    SP Catholicism 24%.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
When Portugal asked to be vassalized, i forgot to check if involved in any war, so i was in war with Russia and Ottomans, out of my plans.

I never met Russia in these turns, but they were very afraid of me.
Spoiler :

To the Ottomans i said NO, because they owned Belgrad, too close to Wien, so i chosed to fight, weak them a lot, take Belgrad and convert it, before give it to somebody (HRE for example).

Time to get army back from England, heal all units, and...
Spoiler :

This battle will be the last of the game.
From now peace, expansion, and spreading religion.

Attachments

• SP Peace with Russia.JPG
    SP Peace with Russia.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 712
  • SP War with Ottomans.JPG
    SP War with Ottomans.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 715
  • SP End of wars.JPG
    SP End of wars.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 703
What is happening in the meantime?

Spoiler :

Most important: Trading Company completed.

It means Manila (and its source silver)

Then Geography, and Colonization civic, and Fregates (time to upgrade those caravels and patrol Caribbeans for pirates).

And finally give all cities back, to get better relations with neighboors.

Attachments

• SP Trading Company.JPG
    SP Trading Company.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 715
  • SP Funding Manila.JPG
    SP Funding Manila.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 716
  • SP Geography.JPG
    SP Geography.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 721
  • SP Give Plymouth Back.JPG
    SP Give Plymouth Back.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 711
  • SP 1500AD Manila.JPG
    SP 1500AD Manila.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 713
1500AD.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP 1500AD Europe.JPG
    SP 1500AD Europe.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 731
  • SP 1500AD NA.JPG
    SP 1500AD NA.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 715
  • SP 1500AD SA2.JPG
    SP 1500AD SA2.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 716
  • SP 1500AD SA1.JPG
    SP 1500AD SA1.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 723
Some tricks for workers in SA.
Build roads, mines, farms, but DO NOT BUILD plantations: with Colonization and all those native dog soldiers, you'll enslave enough units to build slave plantations everywhere (do not forget Philippines).
Of cource gold and silver mines take precedence over everything, but any worked tile helps to grow.
And remember: do not build anything in colonies but religious buildings and jails.

This is the correct use of settlers in version 1.16 of DoC in Renaissance era.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP How to use settlers.JPG
    SP How to use settlers.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 711
In my eperience playing with Spain, Portugal is totally unuseful to achive Spanish goals.
Portugal never declared war to me, never asked money or resource, and sometimes (like in the game i'm playing) it asks to be vassalized for free.
Santiago and Cordoba can grow without tiles of Portugal core, and almost often it remains Catholic after shism of reformation.
My strategy expects to do just what i need to achive my goals. In this way i ignore Portugal and i let it grow and spread Catholicism in Brazil.
No way! Portugal asked to become your vassal when you where Spain!? That's incredibly rare since Portugal has very high self esteem in the game as well as every other European Nation. I once conquered every single city of the Holy Romans except Buda as the Germans and they still didn't want to capitulate! Even though they had a few Landsknechts and I had Musketeers!

Not usual (it is the first time that it happens indeed), but Portugal asked to be vassalized, and i accepted, and i found myself in war with Russia and Ottomans. :crazyeye:
I had bad relations with Ottomans, so i took advantage of this war to charge their cannons with my conquistadores.
The result was a catholic Belgrad, Wien far from Ottoman border and a couple of work boats in Mediterranean sea to re-train.

But, i repeat, this is just a random event of the game.

By the way, Tibetans too asked to be vassalized in this game, but because i didn't find anything useful in that choice, i let them alone.

The final part of the game is very easy.
Another wonder...
Spoiler :

Another silver source in SA
Spoiler :

Dutch come in the game and had to be converted.
Spoiler :

Another colony...
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP El Escorial.JPG
    SP El Escorial.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 701
  • SP Silver source in SA.JPG
    SP Silver source in SA.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 691
  • SP Welcome Dutch.JPG
    SP Welcome Dutch.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 687
  • SP Spreading in Amsterdam.JPG
    SP Spreading in Amsterdam.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 685
  • SP Convert Dutch.JPG
    SP Convert Dutch.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 681
  • SP Buenos Aires.JPG
    SP Buenos Aires.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 690
Last turns of the game.
Let me introduce you the first empire where the sun never sets.
1600AD
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP 1600AD.jpg
    SP 1600AD.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 664
  • SP 1600AD NA.JPG
    SP 1600AD NA.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 664
  • SP 1600AD Caribe.JPG
    SP 1600AD Caribe.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 662
  • SP 1600AD Peru.JPG
    SP 1600AD Peru.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 667
  • SP 1600AD Arg.JPG
    SP 1600AD Arg.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 669
  • SP 1600AD Phi.JPG
    SP 1600AD Phi.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 668
One mine to golden age and UHV.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP 1 mine to go.JPG
    SP 1 mine to go.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 672
  • SP Last mine.JPG
    SP Last mine.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 670
Some goals before ending the game.
Last Great Engineer, to build Santa Maria de Guadalupe in Cartagena de India
Spoiler :

Last colony in Chile
Spoiler :

Last wonders
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SP Last GP.JPG
    SP Last GP.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 656
  • SP Last colony.JPG
    SP Last colony.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 657
  • SP Last wonders.JPG
    SP Last wonders.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 659
  • SP Last wonders (2).JPG
    SP Last wonders (2).JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 660
Working on a Spain playthrough at the moment, I got conquerors for the Inca but not the Aztecs even though I met them early enough. Is there a rule precluding the same player from getting both conquerors?

Don't think you can get conquerers before 1400 so it's possible to meet them too early. or they randomly spot you with a fishing boat before you contact them can be a purge. I've had arabia meet them then instantly disintegrate in games too

So I really enjoyed your strategy and the gameplay of your UHV victory and I tried emulating it to a certain extent but came up against an uncrackable wall. In three out of the four games I played with Spain the Vikings were still around when the reformation happened and they converted. In two of these cases they collapsed soon after but came back in the beginning of the 17th century as Protestant with a ridiculous army that I had no hope of defeating even if the game allowed me to declare war on them (it didn't for the first ten turns of their respawn). In the third case they never collapsed and were such a monster that even with the two conqueror events I got plus all the troops I built they still had a stronger military than we did. And they were more advanced. They also couldn't be persuaded to convert, even at pleased. Funny enough, in the fourth case they were actually the ones to found Protestantism but chose not to convert :)

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

So I really enjoyed your strategy and the gameplay of your UHV victory and I tried emulating it to a certain extent but came up against an uncrackable wall. In three out of the four games I played with Spain the Vikings were still around when the reformation happened and they converted. In two of these cases they collapsed soon after but came back in the beginning of the 17th century as Protestant with a ridiculous army that I had no hope of defeating even if the game allowed me to declare war on them (it didn't for the first ten turns of their respawn). In the third case they never collapsed and were such a monster that even with the two conqueror events I got plus all the troops I built they still had a stronger military than we did. And they were more advanced. They also couldn't be persuaded to convert, even at pleased. Funny enough, in the fourth case they were actually the ones to found Protestantism but chose not to convert :)

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Maybe try espionage? The change state religion mission shouldn't cost too many EPs so not a huge sacrifice. The best way to do it would probably be by stationing a couple of spies in their cities just before the deadline and then conduct the change state religion mission.

Hi all,

I'm playing 1.16 (the original version). Marathon speed.

Try as I might, my economy/research always seems to tank before I can get to Optics, so I can't settle in the New World without leaving my colonies isolated from the trade network and therefore ridiculously expensive.

This tends to be my game plan:

- raze Marseilles
- prioritise Catholic monasteries and churches in Santiago and Barcelona, and jails
- try for Rome before Italy spawns (although the Shrine income doesn't seem to count - is this a bug??)
- eject the Moors by 1236
- beeline Firearms for Tercios
- nip France and England in the bud by capturing Bordeaux and Plymouth
- delay exploring the New World until Conquistadors are available, although in my latest game, England got to the New World first and vassalised both Mexico and Peru

My research seems to lag massively by this point, and I resorted to to stealing techs from France and HRE towards the end, but even this strategy ran out of road. Inflation seems to be through the roof - is there anything I can to slow down the increases?

Is there anything obvious I should be doing or not doing? Perhaps I should focus more on Spain's economy rather than neutering France and England, but it's not the best country to build cottages in.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

Yes, Rome is a very good city to conquer as soon as possible for its shrine income.
You only need to settle one city in America early on for the UHV, delay the rest.
After that the goal is to use as few cities as possible to get your gold and silver goal just in time.

My preference for second city is Seattle, or where you can include the 3 silver and gold mines with culture (produce culture to make it in time).
You really don't need the conquer events for Aztec or Inca, as your ideal result is to have them as vassals and hand back most cities anyway.
You can easily grab the cities later on, and then just the cities you need for gold and silver.
There are also 3 easy gold resources to get if you conquer Mali and let them keep the cities with no gold resources.
Also with the new change made you can also let them keep all cities as resources for vassals count as well.
With a few silver and gold mines in central America you should have it now.
You don't even need Manilla from the Trade event, as it will be a huge cost with that far away city.

Conquer Ibera fully as soon as you can for the larger core area.
Harass you European competitors as much as possible (primarily France and England).
It could also be great to make them vassals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom