[Vote] (1-18) Proposal: Sphere of Influence can only be proposed by current CS ally

Approval Vote for Proposal #18 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented. You can vote for both options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 1, Proposal 18

Proposer: @Stalker0
Sponsor(s): @Recursive
Previous Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...n-only-be-proposed-by-current-cs-ally.679654/

Proposal Details
Counterproposal to this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/proposal-sphere-of-influence-rework-amended.679350/

I don't have an innate problem with the original proposal, save that its going to be a large scale effort. Updating the AI to account for this is a lot of work, and there are a lot of finer details to work out. We have discussed a number of these on discord, and already there are divisions forming on how best to do them.

Therefore, my counter is to go with a very simple change that gives us an immediate benefit to a known problem. And then later on if people want to work on a grander proposal that provides an even better solution, then by all means.

Proposal: The Sphere of Influence proposal works just as it does today. The only difference, only the current CS ally can propose it for a given CS.

Rationale: This greatly reduces the AIs ability to spam the SOI proposal in the WC, aka you are less likely to see the queue filled with these proposals. Further, this means that SOI at least require a bit of investment on the part of the player, you can't just try and snag any CS in sight, you at least have to make a conservative effort to become the ally first in order to "lock it in".

This provides some nice reasonable curbing of the SOI power, but with a coding change that is very easy to do and requires no AI changes, aka its something we could in place right away.

It is not necessarily -realistic- big guys of history have been carving up the world between themselves without considering what the small guy things. Gameplay wise it makes sense.

I like it but also hate it. SOI proposal is the ONLY counter to a snowballing city state focused civ (considering civs will propose it for themselves and you can help an ai win their proposal to take away a city state from the snowballing civ). Good luck proposing a decolonization, considering city state focused civs are ALWAYS well liked even though they're about to win the game once that global hegemony proposal comes along.

Counter/side proposal: Add a building that an ai/player has to build, just like the Culture victory has, that triggers victory. Requirements are winning the global hegemony proposal.

It's so silly being at war with the entire world (so that they can't convert your city states back) and then winning the global hegemony even though your only allies are city states.

I like it but also hate it. SOI proposal is the ONLY counter to a snowballing city state focused civ (considering civs will propose it for themselves and you can help an ai win their proposal to take away a city state from the snowballing civ). Good luck proposing a decolonization, considering city state focused civs are ALWAYS well liked even though they're about to win the game once that global hegemony proposal comes along.

Counter/side proposal: Add a building that an ai/player has to build, just like the Culture victory has, that triggers victory. Requirements are winning the global hegemony proposal.

It's so silly being at war with the entire world (so that they can't convert your city states back) and then winning the global hegemony even though your only allies are city states.
I vote for the counterproposal by voting yes on this.
No counterproposals mid Voting Phase. The opportunity to make proposals is in the Proposal Phase.

No counterproposals mid Voting Phase. The opportunity to make proposals is in the Proposal Phase.
I wasn't aware of any proposal phase, plus most of the proposals weren't ironed out until they were posted for a few hours, I read the edits

Please be more aware of the forum then :)

The edits came to be mostly because it is not an easy task to skim multiple pages of discussion to find the latest version of the proposal if the creator did not update the initial post with all changes. Additionally, this is the first iteration if the Congress, hopefully the next proposal phase ( then with all your counter-proposals) will see better maintained initial proposal posts.

Regards
XSamatan

Please be more aware of the forum then :)

The edits came to be mostly because it is not an easy task to skim multiple pages of discussion to find the latest version of the proposal if the creator did not update the initial post with all changes. Additionally, this is the first iteration if the Congress, hopefully the next proposal phase ( then with all your counter-proposals) will see better maintained initial proposal posts.

Regards
XSamatan
Wait so what will happen to all my detailed counter proposals? Some of them got over 6 likes

Wait so what will happen to all my detailed counter proposals? Some of them got over 6 likes
Proposals not made in the Proposal Phase are ignored, voting wise.

I'm against this probably mostly because I abuse it myself. Get basic votes via religion and/or policies and diplo unit spam to nearby city states (the closer the faster you can rebuild them). Then with these votes grab one after another via SOI.

The issue is without voting power the AI will destroy you in the VC especially if you go Conquest. Therefore this is only viable with the other proposal 12 to liberate from SOI. I still suspect it will make Conquest harder.

Proposal passed on November 1, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom