[NFP] [1.2.10] AI Peace Deal Bug/Exploit [FIXED in 1.2.11]

blackbutterfly

Emperor
(I'm quoting Nintendo Switch version number cos I'm experiencing this on the Switch but I expect it is common to all platforms)

You can trick the AI to trade you all their cities (apart from capitals) when making peace.

After war when negotiating a peace deal, click on all (or as many) cities as the Civ is willing to trade. Then click ~make equitable~. The AI will trade you all their cities. Sometimes you can get other stuff too.

The exploit also happens when making other deals. Sometimes.

Last edited:
The AI seems to have changed their weight of cities in peace deals in some recent update, and I just got a peace deal from the AI giving me about 6 GPT for peace. I then changed the peace deal for them to give me every city but their capital, and they accepted the deal after hitting "make this deal more equitable", which changed nothing. I now have all but one of their cities, and wasn't really winning the war that much. I am all for getting the AI to cede cities when they have to, but this is definitely too much.

This has occurred multiple times in our multiplayer game, for players using both mac and PC clients. I wasn't sure if it was intended behavior or not, as it only occurred after we had been at war with the victim civ for > 10 turns and after we had refused several offers of peace. It's quite stunning, though. One AI capitulated in this manner after just one tile was pillaged and an encampment brought to half health.

What's strange is that unless I select ~make equitable~, there's nothing I can offer that will tempt the AI to give up one of it's cities in the peace deal. However, I can drop all my offers except for "peace", select all the AI cities (except ones that have a strategic resource the AI considers non-negotiable), click "make equitable" and the AI will be fine with it.

It may be worth noting that the combined military strength of our team was always greater than the AI civ's in this situation, though individually we had lower scores.

Last edited:
Didn't work for me the other day.
As soon as I got past the first one ceded, as soon as I added any more to the list it got the message 'not willing to trade this at any price' - it was the AI asking for peace too.

Didn't work for me the other day.
As soon as I got past the first one ceded, as soon as I added any more to the list it got the message 'not willing to trade this at any price' - it was the AI asking for peace too.

Give it some more time. In all the instances I've had the AI give away their entire civ in the manner the OP describes, it was only after the AI civ had made several entireties which I refused. Those initial proposals were sensible - the AI offered some gold for peace but wasn't willing to give much more than that. Including any more of their cities prompted the 'not willing to trade this at any price' message. After some time and several more offers, the AI eventually exhibited the behavior described by the OP.

Yes, this is definitely a (new) issue. I've encountered this in a couple of different games--on Deity nonetheless. I just gained 9/11 Incan cities in a peace deal where I would have struggled to capture even one city. I had wiped all of their force, but city walls were nearly insurmountable. Previous to this bug, I would've likely been offered little better than peace for peace. The cities that they will not yield, shown by the 'blocking-deal' exclamation, are always cities with strategic resources.

EDIT: [save file]

EDIT2: Also, on this same turn, I was awarded: a great scientist, a great merchant, a great musician, and a great artist--these were not gained from the Great People races. Was this also a bug? If you know how I got them, please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, same issue here on 1.0.6.9. I've had these very generous AI presents twice in one game (from 2 different civilizations).
In this game I'm playing as Trajan, difficulty King with map shuffle and Tech tree shuffle enabled.

And I have seen this once or twice before (not sure if that was in 1.0.6.9 or in a previous version).

It does take the fun out of the game, so I'll try a new game and hope this doesn't happen every time.

I’ve been reading the forums every now and then but I actually made an account to be able to post this since I haven’t seen a post about it anywhere. If the moderators think that this should be somewhere else, please move it.

The consoles forum seems to not have a bug thread so posting here in case this can be done with a computer too. At least in the PS4 version with the Babylon pack came also a bug which actually makes it possible for you to trade all of the opponent’s cities excluding the capital when negotiating peace.

Basically be at war with someone and when the opponent wants a peace, and is willing to negotiate about its cities, you can add anything until the point the other player says that ”I’m not willing to trade this at any cost”. So the last offer you can make with the AI saying that the offer is not fair, just clicking on ”what would this take” refreshes the trading window not adding anything to your tradeable goods but the AI’s willingness to trade changes from not willing to accepting. This is possible to exploit in any game I’ve been playing if the AI is willing to negotiate about trading a city at all. I got 8 cities from the Zulu when testing this after they wanted to negotiate a peace after I had destroyed a couple of their units and started to move towards their cities, but not having captured or even bombarded one yet.

Tested many times on Deity and seems to work every time...

Same NFP 1.0.8.4 after December update. All cities + 20 diplo + all strategic ressources can be get when they want peace after just pillaging them (at least on King). No money can be obtained in addition to the cities though.

Is it because I pushed other civs to declare war on them too?
I don't really complain about it, but seems too easy. when I don't have the forces to take even one of these cities.

Attached save, peace with Rome.

upload_2020-12-20_22-24-48.png upload_2020-12-20_22-26-1.png

Attachments

• quicksave.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
I’ve been reading the forums every now and then but I actually made an account to be able to post this since I haven’t seen a post about it anywhere. If the moderators think that this should be somewhere else, please move it.

The consoles forum seems to not have a bug thread so posting here in case this can be done with a computer too. At least in the PS4 version with the Babylon pack came also a bug which actually makes it possible for you to trade all of the opponent’s cities excluding the capital when negotiating peace.

Basically be at war with someone and when the opponent wants a peace, and is willing to negotiate about its cities, you can add anything until the point the other player says that ”I’m not willing to trade this at any cost”. So the last offer you can make with the AI saying that the offer is not fair, just clicking on ”what would this take” refreshes the trading window not adding anything to your tradeable goods but the AI’s willingness to trade changes from not willing to accepting. This is possible to exploit in any game I’ve been playing if the AI is willing to negotiate about trading a city at all. I got 8 cities from the Zulu when testing this after they wanted to negotiate a peace after I had destroyed a couple of their units and started to move towards their cities, but not having captured or even bombarded one yet.

Tested many times on Deity and seems to work every time...
I hope you enjoy your time here in the forums and wish you a warm welcome. :)

Bumping cos the bug is still there on Dec 2020 Update. Title updated. Added screenshots.
The A.I. sure is generous, ain't it?

Same NFP 1.0.8.4 after December update. All cities + 20 diplo + all strategic ressources can be get when they want peace after just pillaging them (at least on King). No money can be obtained in addition to the cities though.

On Deity it is the same. But I've noticed that the AI won't usually trade cities with strategics it deems important. Sometimes. :rolleyes:

True! Just pillage a bit more and they'll trade those also I guess? :lol:

I think what happens in that case is that those strategics become outdated. E.g.: iron once nitre (Gunpowder) is discovered. Then the AI will trade those cities. IDK

The AI seems to have changed their weight of cities in peace deals in some recent update, and I just got a peace deal from the AI giving me about 6 GPT for peace. I then changed the peace deal for them to give me every city but their capital, and they accepted the deal after hitting "make this deal more equitable", which changed nothing. I now have all but one of their cities, and wasn't really winning the war that much. I am all for getting the AI to cede cities when they have to, but this is definitely too much.

This happened in our multiplayer games as of the latest patch today (27th Dec 2020). The AI was losing the war and might have lost 2 cities, but gave away 9 of it's 10 cities in the peace deal to one of the human players after its military strength had dropped! Almost all the remaining cities had medieval walls and would have taken scores of turns to conquer, if at all. Needless to say the game is a foregone conclusion now, which is a shame.

Top Bottom