1 Billion pop

traius

His own worst enemy
Just played a game where it made perfect sense to go privateers into State property (marathon snaky continents, libbing chemistry; I had 90 privateers at peak and no one had education or gunpowder, let alone chemistry).
But then I got a random engineer, and decided to go Free Market instead. 150+ turns later, and I am still choking out the world with privateers, but my sid's sushi is worth 37 food!
Of course, it actually crippled me for a long time, and my economy was a shambles (had to run at 0% for a long time, and at one point even that was -'ve gold without wealth generation), but I am officially over 1 billion population. I am sure many others have done it before, but it was a first for me. And man, is pop ever over-valued in score. I am currently at my 2nd highest score ever, despite it being 1771AD, at over 500k if I end this turn (which I can do at any moment; I am outside dom by ~1.5%, and have troops in transports ready to swing in as soon as my score stops rising).

Thanks for the link Pangaea. I am only at page 6 so far, but am enjoying reading the deep insight into the game. I was aware (and have read the writeup) of WastinTime's 4.8M game, and had no idea he had a 10M point game (I hope Kaitzilla explains his 11M+ in that thread, because at page 6 he hasn't yet even posted anything!).

BTW, you made me laugh at an unintentional joke on page 6, which it seems everyone else missed:
"I was a little hesitant, because it's frickin' Brennus, but there was no other option really, so I declared war on him, despite the fact he had two walled cities. He had horse too, but none had appeared yet, and it was easy to pillage (with a 2-move medic). Have taken 3 cities from him now, including both walls o'death. As you can imagine casualties were higher than I would have liked, 6 guys lost in the final assault. But then it was defended by 5 archers too (thankfully wrongly promoted, guerilla on flatland)" Brennus' walls give Guerilla for free :p

Hehe, there will be much to laugh about in that thread, I'm sure, if you read the whole thing (I've not read the latter parts, because I stopped playing the game at some point). I tend to get frustrated with the game at times, and there were probably more than a few emotional outbursts :D

Recall I tried a gazillion different starts, and had some positive games going, but it was impossible to compete with the true Masters of the game, and given my slow gameplay in 'normal' games, maybe I'm not cut out for these huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge games :(

Top Bottom