1 Minute Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meleager

Stoned as a Statue
One year ago today our solar system reduced from 9 planets to only 8. The IAU, in their wisdom, decided that Pluto did not live up to their standards and thus scratched it from our text books. Now nothing more exciting that a far away piece of rock, I think it would be good to cheer the dethroned solar satellite up.

Thus I propose 1 minute of silence, to be taken upon the reading of this thread, to reflect upon the fallen glory of this mysterious object. So, let us remember.

Let us remember that Pluto was found in 1930 by an American who was searching for a much larger object ("Planet X") which was having an influence on the orbits of Uranus and Neptune.

Let us remember that Pluto is actually a binary system, a double planet, who's moon Charon is so large that they actually orbit around each other.

Let us remember that Pluto also has two other moons which no one cares about.

Let us remember that Pluto is so ridiculously small and far away that it is effectively impossible to see even with my Telescope.

Let us remember that Pluto is in the night sky tonight.

Let us remember that if Methuselah had lived on Pluto he would have died at the ripe old age of 4.

Let us remember... Pluto. Everyone's favorite planet.

NOOOO!!! :cry:

...oh wait...

I'll miss Pluto. I did always think it's relationship with Charon was interesting.

Wow. I never knew they stopped calling pluto a planet. Kind of seems strange though to have it all end at neptune.

It did end at Neptune for a while before that anyways - from 1979 to 1999 Neptune was farther from the sun than Pluto. So for most of my lifetime Neptune was the farthest planet, only from 1999-2006 was Pluto the farthest planet.

Anyways, I am glad it got demoted. Really, though, it is not a demotion, because dwarf planets are amazing things too.

Re-moted?

It's where it belongs now.

**silence**

Wow. I never knew they stopped calling pluto a planet. Kind of seems strange though to have it all end at neptune.

Only because stupid Elementary school teaches us that there is nothing out there for lightyears once you get past Pluto.

God Damn, I would have killed to learn about the Kuiper Belt in Elementary school. Why are curricula so dumb?

Only because stupid Elementary school teaches us that there is nothing out there for lightyears once you get past Pluto.

God Damn, I would have killed to learn about the Kuiper Belt in Elementary school. Why are curricula so dumb?
Well, to be honest, I prefer that they teach stuff like spelling and math instead. Knowing about the Kuiper Belt is rather redundant, unless you are into astronomy or "sci-fi-ey" stuff, in which case you'll find out about it soon enough anyway.

Well, to be honest, I prefer that they teach stuff like spelling and math instead. Knowing about the Kuiper Belt is rather redundant, unless you are into astronomy or "sci-fi-ey" stuff, in which case you'll find out about it soon enough anyway.
Well, I think the point is to get you thinking about these different things to see if you like it.

Anyways, I am glad it got demoted. Really, though, it is not a demotion, because dwarf planets are amazing things too.

Re-moted?

Re-classified :)

It's not like this changes anything - things are just far more accurate and make more sense.

pluto was never my favorite planet. jupiter is. i did a really intense report on it when i was 8. :) A+ btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom