(1-NS) Adjustments to the Benevolence virtue (from Japan's Dojo promotion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legen

Emperor
(Current Benevolence: "Units in adjacent tiles receive +5 HP when healing.")

Proposal:

Increase Benevolence's +5 healing to +10, and also make it apply to the unit itself.

Reasoning:

Benevolence's healing is of questionable use at the moment. The issue is that the healing of a Benevolence unit neither works well with, nor replaces, the healing of a nearby Medic unit. If a wounded unit has both a Benevolence unit and a Medic unit near it, their bonus healing won't add up, it will be only the highest between the two. The common scenario is that your wounded unit is near a Samurai with Benevolence and a Crossbowman with Medic I; that unit will heal an additional +5 HP (instead of +10), as if the Benevolence unit didn't exist.

Also, since Benevolence doesn't apply to the unit that has it, you'll want to pair it with a Medic ally anyway; the Benevolence promotion isn't a substitute for a Medic unit. A Medic I on ranged unit is preferable to a Benevolence on a melee unit, and the former renders the latter redundant.

The only good scenario for Benevolence is if you stack it with Medic I and II on the same unit, as the healing from both promotions will then add up. However, the units eligible for the Dojo's promotion are melee units, which are often found in the frontlines and subject to focus fire. The -20% :c5strength: CS from stacking to Medic II is usually very dangerous for them and tend to force them on the backlines frequently.

The intent of my proposal is to ensure Benevolence remains relevant in regards to Medic units. Having it boost healing to +10 means that Benevolence isn't made redundant by a Medic I ally (the common scenario before Industrial). Having the bonus healing also apply to the Benevolence unit means that you won't need to allocate a Medic unit to aid it either. And if you decide to stack Benevolence with Medic promotions, you are better rewarded for the risks of the -10%/-20% :c5strength: CS penalties on a melee unit.

if the issue is that medic makes it useless, why is the proposal not instead to make the healing stack with medic?

Consistency with the Khan's ability. That UU's bonus healing also doesn't stack with Medic, but at least retains use due to not being a mere 5 HP, and applying to the unit on the tile it is in. Also, less likely to have performance or implementation issues.

Personally, I'd prefer if the healing stacked with Medic, but I wanted to keep its behavior consistent with the Khan's ability. I wouldn't mind to set a counterproposal to get both abilities to stack with Medic, though. Any thoughts before I do that?

Yeah, do that, I like it. Hopefully it won't make Mongolia OP, but for the time being warlike civs are not considered too strong in general.

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship on October 19, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom