(1-NS) Dummy Great Works when all Great People run out, to fill all those slots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfabri

Chieftain
Since creating thousands of quotes, music and pictures of historical relevance is a bit too much work, we could solve the gameplay problem in a simple way.

PROPOSAL: When Great Writers, Great Artists and Great Musicians begin to spawn unnamed (aka they run out), just let them still create their respective type of work, but simply name each one "underrated poem/song/painting n.1/2/3/etc by Anonymous/Uknown" (or any fitting name for a generic work)

REASONS: Since the Burial tomb basically already does this for Artifacts (right clicking it just shows a sarcophagus, and the name is "tomb of Guy I/II/III/IV etc) it should be very easy to implement, and would solve the "run out of great works" problem in the Renaissance/industrial, ESPECIALLY in maps bigger than Standard.

Last edited:
They've been running out way less since we added more of them. I will note that Gazebo has previously indicated this is difficult to do code-wise, so while it's a good idea, you may have difficulty finding someone to sponsor the change.

OPTIONAL WAY OF IMPLEMENTATION
You can't include optional items in a proposal - either you're proposing it or you're not. :)

They've been running out way less since we added more of them. I will note that Gazebo has previously indicated this is difficult to do code-wise, so while it's a good idea, you may have difficulty finding someone to sponsor the change.

You can't include optional items in a proposal - either you're proposing it or you're not. :)
My bad, i will edit the OP.
However, how is it hard to code at all? We already have an existing example (burial tombs) of infinite random generated works. If the coding difficulty lies on giving the option to create it on unnamed GP, there could be plenty of workarounds (like adding an additional button, making a new kind of GP spawn with such option enabled instead of unnamed gp, and others i'm sure), but i'll leave this matter to coders.

If the coding difficulty lies on giving the option to create it on unnamed GP, there could be plenty of workarounds (like adding an additional button, making a new kind of GP spawn with such option enabled instead of unnamed gp, and others i'm sure), but i'll leave this matter to coders.
The difficulty is tied to using unnamed Great People. I don't know the details and have not personally verified how difficult it is.

The difficulty is tied to using unnamed Great People. I don't know the details and have not personally verified how difficult it is.
I see, i guess we could talk about it, maybe in the sponsorship phase?
Sadly i'm no coder, so i don't know if my workarounds would actually... work around the problem, i'd need coder approval/denial of each of my workarounds.
For example, we could change the unnamed GP "only" action (expend for culture) to give the generic great work, but reduced culture boost (or remove the culture boost component from that action")

My bad, i will edit the OP.
However, how is it hard to code at all? We already have an existing example (burial tombs) of infinite random generated works. If the coding difficulty lies on giving the option to create it on unnamed GP, there could be plenty of workarounds (like adding an additional button, making a new kind of GP spawn with such option enabled instead of unnamed gp, and others i'm sure), but i'll leave this matter to coders.
Sarcophagi aren't infinite random generated items. There is a list of 19 different sarcophagi entries, all with the same picture. Artifacts are implemented differently from the other GWs since by necessity they need to repeat.

Sarcophagi aren't infinite random generated items. There is a list of 19 different sarcophagi entries, all with the same picture. Artifacts are implemented differently from the other GWs since by necessity they need to repeat.
Well the point is: you can simply get repeats, i tested it (so you can get two "pharaoh II" sarcophagi, same name), and it's a simple solution, replicable ad infinitum for Great works too.
Now making unnamed GP actually give this new Burial Tomb like work of art is another coding matter, but again, it seems weird that no workaround can be implemented.

Seems easier just to allow duplicates when GWs run out.

Maybe.

Duplicates already exist anyway, by means of spying.

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship on October 19, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom