1 production or 2 gold?

DiscoZerg

Chieftain

What tile do you choose to work and why? Cotton 2 food 2 gold or Stone 2 food 1 prod?

Would your decision be the same at turn 20, 50, 100?

Production is almost always the better priority, at least early. Getting stuff faster is good. You might have more of a choice later, when you have much more pop to play with.

Usually prod early. And then comes a quarry and stoneworks (maybe Mausoleum too) - what do you want with that cotton now? Even though gold is more sparse in BNW I still feel like Cotton as of simply a slightly better farm.

I would go cotton, not because of the gold, but to trade the extra lux with other civ. My games usually annoy me with happiness problems so my mind just end preferring this path

Sent from my LG-E425f using Tapatalk 2

Usually prod early. And then comes a quarry and stoneworks (maybe Mausoleum too) - what do you want with that cotton now? Even though gold is more sparse in BNW I still feel like Cotton as of simply a slightly better farm.

Stone is definetly the better choice to improve first. I'm talking about how you prioritize these resources in the early game.

Getting 2 gold instead could mean that you get to spend your 310/500 gold whatever u want X turns sooner.

Another point to note about gold is that, whatever you buy it comes immediately, allowing you to shave a lot of turns off a timing attack (for example, buying a siege tower the moment you hit mathematics instead of waiting 8 turns to build one. Another good example is buying a caravan imediately once you reach the tech or get an additional trade route).

It's turn 5 definitely production.

Same on t 20, 50, 100 if that choice is still there. Which it won't be of course, but to make bit simple food>production>gold as default. In case situations warrant I will switch for awhile.

It's turn 5 definitely production.

Same on t 20, 50, 100 if that choice is still there. Which it won't be of course, but to make bit simple food>production>gold as default. In case situations warrant I will switch for awhile.

I would argue that food = production, getting one or the other is dependant on what's going on.

production > gold for sure. just not so sure that production is more than twice as good as gold.

In that particular situation, I'd work the stone tile, but certainly my worker would improve the luxury first so that I could sell it to AIs asap.

Hypothetically, if the capital was itself on a luxury tile and thus had +2 gold also, I'd be far more inclined to work the cotton ahead of the stone, because you're going to reach 310 gold for the first worker purchase a lot faster.

I always hesitate to provide numbers since I play on Epic, but hopefully this is similar on Standard - assuming you avoid the inefficient purchase types like buying monuments, then for most purchases in the early game, the raw gold-to-hammers works out to about 4.5 gold per hammer, on Epic at least. Adding a large fudge factor for the better conversion on later things-to-buy, and for gold's when-you-want, where-you-want nature, we can call it 3 gold per hammer... all things being equal. Which they never are.

Above all, it's quite important which gives you a benefit first. In the early game, even if it were 2f3g vs 2f1h, I'd still say that's the hammer tile, since with no other source of gold, it will take much longer for the gold to form a usable pile.

So basically, what those guys said. :)

Damn sounds like everyone thinks it's the 1 hammer that's better =P. I'm trying to play devil's advocate here to see if there are any holes in all your arguments. Good points tho.

how do people rate initial food vs initial production?
what do you want to see in your initial 'cross'?

Well, five plains salt, of course. :)

how do people rate initial food vs initial production?
what do you want to see in your initial 'cross'?

I would never prioritize 1 food over 2 hammer.

With tradition I always aim for good solid growth in the city. It's important to spend your happiness and not keep too much excess.

With Liberty I choose a population I want to stay at (generally 3-5) and keep food +0 or +1 so that I can grow wide before i start growing it all taller.

that starting location is not great for growth, so you want to get what growth you can as early as possible while its cheap and you have no tech. working the cow and stone gets the granary out sooner. I would want to get to 4 pop as soon as possible so I would have some flexibility once techs come online.

Production, each hammer is one hammer to the worker...
As for gold, it is good enought to have it positive, at some point it will skyrocket anyway. However if this would be situacion you are at 480G and just need couple more to release Settler... then gold would be more valueable.

Top Bottom