(1-WD) Remove Need Factors and Need Modifiers from City Unhappiness Tooltip

Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
This would be only a UI Change: I propose to remove the sections on Need Factors and Need Modifiers from the city unhappiness tooltip (see attached image). They are very confusing, especially for new players. And I guess it's only very few players, if any, who really use these values for anything, and who sit down and do calculations to figure out how strong the effect of a -5% need modifier is before deciding whether to build Walls in a city or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot (137).png
    Screenshot (137).png
    261 KB · Views: 20
The values can be useful in understanding where the Unhappiness is coming from and what can be done to change it. You don't need to run calculations to see that a lot of Unhappiness + a large tech modifier means you should focus on infrastructure over tech, for instance.

Do not really want to remove it without putting it somewhere else, at least.

The thing is that there is little the player can do to influence these values. The capital status can't be removed, having researched a certain number of technologies can't be undone, and razing/selling owned cities just to reduce the Empire Size Needs Factor usually isn't an option. Why display information the player has no influence on?

The only modifiers the player can change are the modifiers given by buildings/policies, and there it's very hard to estimate the effects they have (at least for me, that is).

Thinking about it, I actually see this as a more general problem: Players are expected to make decisions while it's very difficult to estimate the results. In the city shown above, should I rather build a Castle, giving me a -5% Needs Modifier for all needs, or should I go for an Armory, giving me -1 Unhappiness from Distress? I have no idea, since I have no intuition how much a -5% Needs Modifier would actually change.

So, as a much more far-reaching proposal, maybe it would be a good idea to generally replace local Needs Modifiers by a percentage reduction of unhappiness. "-10% Unhappiness from Illiteracy" is much easier to understand than "-5% Needs Modifier Reduction for Illiteracy". I will do some calculations and then make a new, concrete, proposal (unless you think that such a change is out of the question for some reason).

Please close this proposal for now.

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
Proposer dropped support, plus I thought of an idea which I will implement to make this more clear for next version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom