1 week and my internet life just piles up...

Am I?

• Yes you are. Go get help.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, but I am too. You're not alone

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No, you're fine. Don't change anything

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No, but get help.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're on your own. Later.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

hbdragon88

haunted by blackness
I just got back from a very cool 8-day Canada vacation with my parents. My dad drove 4000 kilometers from Vancover to Jasper to Calgary and then back to Vancover. It was very scenic, nice and relaxing to watch all the beauty (lots of blue lakes and forest and mountains). I just got back twenty minutes ago. When I turned on my computer I noticed:

1. It still feels really werid to type on a keyboard (very jerky and sounds weird)
2. Mouse feels weird in hand
3. I'm freaking out when I find I have 337 Bulk Mail messages and 79 messages in my inbox
4. I noticed that my clock was 19.5 seconds off (and fixed it instantly using Rocket Time)
5. I was craving oldies music so badly that I instantly started Winamp to get some good music going
6. I've got 8 days of "Pearls Before Swine" delivered in my inbox (I'm registered to UComics and get it delivered), and I'm feeling extremely agitated that I have to read that many comics

For me, the question is: Is my Internet life way too entrenched and interlaced into my life to go out and enjoy a vacation without feeling worried and getting shocked when I come back home? It wasn't this bad last time I went to Canada (2002). This problem has just magnified out of hand just this year.

I see you didn't set this as a public poll. ;)

But I think you should perhaps do something else too than surf the net. :p

Put all your music on portable devices so that you can listen whilst on holiday...

PBEMs can be a slight hassle as there is the difficulty of trying to find a replacement player for 2 weeks or the game stalling.

Ankka said:
But I think you should perhaps do something else too than surf the net. :p

I find that a very scary thought :p

I just got back my self from a week away. 1-3 fit very well. :(

I was at a cabin which only got electricity a few years ago for 2 weeks... Lovely and refreshing.

You have a problem. I took about an hour to clear out and catch up on stuff when I came back. You seem to have let your life migrate onto the 'net, where it is at the risk of being cut off temporarily or permanently. Fight it.

If you enjoyed yourself while you were away from the computer and didn't suffer withdrawal symptons then there is nothing wrong. I used to be super into the computer and this site but I dropped it (was hard) and feel much better about myself and my life. :)

hb, gotta change to Ad-aware SE. :) Pretty nice.

Nah, it's easy to let go if you fill your life with other stuff. I used to sit by a computer for 3-6h per day, and except for today and for occasional emailing family and friends, I haven't really used one for 1½ months. Doing other stuff, you don't really think about it.

You're only addicted to having something to fill spare time with, not really the computer itself. At least what I think it is.:) Anyone who spends their spare time doing something, like some hobby, obviously will miss it and feel out of the loop once they return to it.

Like the others sayed, go out and do some other stuff. Make sports like bicycling or scating or swimming or perhaps some ikebana. :lol:

All I can say is that your not alone. I myself feel that Internet life way too entrenched and interlaced into my life. Its so interlaced with my life that I am still trying to change my reputation of my internet life. I have almost gone craysy with rage while trying to get my self unbanned from the name of the site will NOT be releced due to personal reasons.

My advice would be to seek profesional help. I know it would help quicker than the self-help methoud.

Top Bottom